• ...and so much more!
  • deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Well, it finally happened to me. Had my first squib round go off in my hand. Been shooting firearms of some kind since the late sixties, maybe I've just been lucky, I don't know. Firearm-Taurus Poly 38 special truck gun(I know). Ammo- Magtech. Was piddling around the house today and decided to clean the truck gun. When I finished I thought what the heck, why not burn up a box of 38s? Went thru the whole box and was somewhat impressed with this cheap little gun. Enter the second to last round-POP, BOOM, BANG! WTH! Held it in a safe direction for awhile as there was still one round in the cylinder and not sure about all the flame and heat that emitted. Popped open the cylinder and sure enough there it was. Cylinder doesn't look damaged but for the price of this gun I think I'll just S***can it in the
    Y7PlFbQm.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Shouldn't be any damage. Just tap it out with a brass rod and carry on. (tap it from muzzle end back toward the forcing cone end)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You had a lot of shooting before getting your first squib, count yourself lucky. I'd only been shooting a couple of years when I had my first squib, in a 1911 that wasn't even a month old. Thankfully tapping it out was pretty simple and the gun didn't have any issues afterwards. I'm just glad I noticed. One of the reasons I tend to not do mag dumps.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've used MagTech before without problem BUT.... I know it's only practice but **** ammo is always gonna be **** ammo.
    You get what you pay for. Chances are better of good function, good groups, good times, with good ammo.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Yeah, this is the only Magtech ammo I have. It was picked up for range fodder. Doubt that I will ever buy another box.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I haven't had a squib in a looooong time. Decades I'll guess.
    I took some friends to Parabellum a few years ago and my friend's wife had a dead round squib on her first shot ever. She'd never fired a gun, had bought a very expensive gun, holster, LTCH, etc and wanted to learn how to shoot. **** ammo had a squib first round through her new gun.
    Bad start for a new shooter but I'd ran her through the basics for a couple of weeks before hitting the range so she held it down range safely until I got to her to resolve the dead round.
    I took all her mags and laid them to the side and let her use my ammo and mags until we were done.
    She won't go cheap again.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    So that brings up an interesting point. (I have not ever had a squib.)
    Will a squib round exert enough force to cycle a semi-auto pistol? Or does it all depend on the round/how much powder/etc?
    Usually, the gun won’t cycle, but I suppose it is possible for it to. What buggers everything up is the tap rack boom.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Many years ago I was shooting a new Kimber 1911 (when they were quality guns) and had a KB with factory Winchester ammo. Blew the Grips, MSH and the mag off the gun. Kimber fixed it at no cost and Winchester sent me $200 in certificates. Purchased primers with it and started reloading after that. Factory ammo is not perfect...

Top Bottom