Purchasing a gun at a self-storage auction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I have only recently started investigating the idea of buying stuff at self-storage auctions. Didn't even think about buying a gun there until I ran across this one down in Sellersburg. You could have about knocked me over when I saw the gun to be auctioned off was a M1A. I don't know if there are any laws regulating guns sales in this way but if this auction wasn't so far away I would have already been bidding on it.

In case you live in the area and want a good deal on a M1A, here is the link to it: https://www.storagetreasures.com/auctions/detail/637567

Bobby

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    IPD used to sell long guns at auction on a regular basis "back in the day". It was a great way to spend $100 for a gun you could buy new for $60. Don't know about today but I'm gonna' make a WAG there will be no good deal on a M1A.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I can tell you how those auctions work.

You are bidding on and buying "everything in the storage unit" and likely have 72 hours to remove it all. You CANNOT just take what you want, and leave the rest there. Just an FYI.....

ETA- If like all other "storage auctions"..... there's no guarantee that the rifle isn't stolen. The sellers have no obligation to verify that, for you.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I quit attending any type of auction that advertised firearms in any quantity several years ago! If there is only one or two firearms at an estate auction you MIGHT get it for a reasonable price. But the last few I attended that had several firearms listed were laughable.

I have seen old "no name" single barrel shotguns in poor condition go for near $200, same ones priced at Gun Shows for $60 ~ $75 and not selling. Also old S&W top break in small calibers in poor condition for about the same. Newer firearms for 20 to 50% above retail prices. I have watched Repop muzzle loaders sell for more than the then current retail price. Very rarely had I found one that sold for it's actual value.

I have purchased a firearm or two at Estate sales when the majority of the bidders were there for antiques, Farm equipment, vehicles or other items, but even this was rare!

Like the OP, sellers can ask anything they wish, guess some will find a newby sucker that buys at an inflated price, but if the price is ridiculous I normally just ignore the listing and won't even make an offer! Doesn't bug me as there are way more guns for sale than I can afford to purchase!

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    My wife used to manage several storage facilities. Its rarely worth the average persons time to attend an auction and she has on many occasions asked people to leave who she knew had no intention of cleaning out the unit. The "item hunters" just want the one item and think they can just leave the rest. It doesnt work like that. Item auctions are rarely attended by people who do not have a vested interest in the item itself. They will boost the selling price by over-bidding on the item. If you want to out bid them, that is your right, but understand you are paying over retail for the item.

The best one I heard of was a guy who paid $400 for a $80 Walmart desk. He figured the desk must be worth a ton of money or there was something in it worth a ton... the other person was bidding because it was the desk their dead son had in his room. He paid the $400 and also gave the desk to the parents he out bid after riffling through all the drawers.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Auctions, been to a lot of them, sometimes I do well and other times I leave empty handed.

Back in the day the old MCSD auction was a good place to go if you were a dealer looking for bargains. Lots of junk there but there were some good items as well and it makes me sad to think of them being melted today.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    The auction listing says that there is a $100 "cleaning deposit". It would cost more than that to haul that junk (most of the visible contents) to the landfill.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    The auction listing says that there is a $100 "cleaning deposit". It would cost more than that to haul that junk (most of the visible contents) to the landfill.

without reading the website. Its possible they will clear the storage unit of all the junk you leave after you have gone through it for $100.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Seems like OP's original question still remains open.
    You are bidding on ALL the items inside the unit and are required to empty it. OK
    But the firearm (from the pics) is the only thing that could be a "regulated sale" ie (via an FFL).
    In cases like this where you are buying all the stuff from the storage unit does the storage unit have to use an FFL to sell sell you the gun?
    Or is it just considered another item in the sale and it's yours. Granted it did not belong to the storage unit either.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have only recently started investigating the idea of buying stuff at self-storage auctions. Didn't even think about buying a gun there until I ran across this one down in Sellersburg. You could have about knocked me over when I saw the gun to be auctioned off was a M1A. I don't know if there are any laws regulating guns sales in this way but if this auction wasn't so far away I would have already been bidding on it.

In case you live in the area and want a good deal on a M1A, here is the link to it: https://www.storagetreasures.com/auctions/detail/637567

Bobby

I don't think I'd share info like that to the general population if I were to desire a good price and good odds to winning the storage unit auction.
    I used to buy storage unit contents out of auctions until I bought a unit contents that had a refrigerator in it. Said refrigerator was full of meat and fridge hadn't been plugged in for many many months. No further description necessary.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    You are bidding on ALL the items inside the unit and are required to empty it. OK
    But the firearm (from the pics) is the only thing that could be a "regulated sale" ie (via an FFL).
    In cases like this where you are buying all the stuff from the storage unit does the storage unit have to use an FFL to sell sell you the gun?
    Or is it just considered another item in the sale and it's yours. Granted it did not belong to the storage unit either.

I don't know all the rules when it comes to guns and auctions so I plan to steer clear of it. It was tempting to me for a few seconds but I would rather spend my money at the CMP and get a M1. I only shared it in case someone down in the area was interested.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle

I don't know all the rules when it comes to guns and auctions so I plan to steer clear of it. It was tempting to me for a few seconds but I would rather spend my money at the CMP and get a M1. I only shared it in case someone down in the area was interested.

I don't think I'd share info like that to the general population if I were to desire a good price and good odds to winning the storage unit auction.
    I used to buy storage unit contents out of auctions until I bought a unit contents that had a refrigerator in it. Said refrigerator was full of meat and fridge hadn't been plugged in for many many months. No further description necessary.

I am not planning to bid on it myself so that is why I shared it. lol

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    IPD used to sell long guns at auction on a regular basis "back in the day". It was a great way to spend $100 for a gun you could buy new for $60. Don't know about today but I'm gonna' make a WAG there will be no good deal on a M1A.

You're so right! :):
    They also used to auction off handguns.
    A friend and I went to one of these auctions back in the mid 1980's.

We only stayed for a little while after the auction started because it was just like you say.
    We saw old beat up guns that were selling for more than brand new ones.

We left laughing at how stupid these people were for having no idea of the value of what they were bidding on.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    It looks to me the rifle in question, is a airsoft gun. I see what appears to be an auto selector switch in the cut out on the stock. Or if it is select fire, lots of trouble could be coming for the seller/buyer.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It looks to me the rifle in question, is a airsoft gun. I see what appears to be an auto selector switch in the cut out on the stock. Or if it is select fire, lots of trouble could be coming for the seller/buyer.

Could be a "dummy switch" that someone installed for a more authentic look.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Whelp, it appears to have sold for $620. So, someone either way overpaid to get a crappy airsoft gun, bought an illegal machinegun that will cause headaches, or got a great deal on an M14 of some sort (even if it is a Norinco, that would be a good price).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why do people store things like gun in storage units that 1) are obviously places where people store stuff, and 2) are usually secured only by a padlock?

Top Bottom