• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    I dont care how much a person is asking for their item. That is their business. I ask for nearly retail for my items as well.

Have you ever noticed how people value their items based on their feelings and not its actual worth? I just think its funny how they come up with a price and a value of another persons item.

Unless your item has a Lifetime- no questions asked- warranty that is transferred to the new owner, its worth 50% of what you paid. That is with no obvious signs of wear. Everything we buy at a store cost at a minimum 50% of what we paid because the manufacturer has to allow for the item to be returned broken, only to be replaced with another product.

Most of the time an items actual value is well below 20% due to retail mark up based on demand. The same is true for items in high demand in the aftermarket world. So the opposite is true. A Colt Python is actually not that great a revolver. I owned two when they were new and sold them both at about what I paid... try and buy one now...LOL. I think I paid $400 for my first one, sold it for $350 and got my second one on a trade of an Bushmaster M17. Both the M17 and the Python are out of production, but you couldn't trade 3 M17s for one Python in today's market.

The reason for my Monday morning soap box rant is a guy wants to trade his 5 year old EoTech 512, with no original box, replaced mounting screws, obvious signs of wear, that was painted, scrubbed and repainted matte black for $350 (which is fine he can ask what he wants), but on top of that tells me my item, (that he wants) in trade is only worth 50% ...BECAUSE ITEMS LOSE THEIR VALUE AFTER YOU BUY THEM...LOL. So he is asking for my item + $150 for his EOtech... my item that he wants cost about $400 new, is less then 6 months old and is in perfect condition.

Its just funny to me how peoples minds work.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    OP, that is the main reason I dislike trading.
    Everyone wants to "win" on a trade, very few people will trade fairly.
    I did not see your item in the classifieds here on INGO. Is it something you're selling on Armslist or elsewhere?

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    OP, that is the main reason I dislike trading.
    Everyone wants to "win" on a trade, very few people will trade fairly.
    I did not see your item in the classifieds here on INGO. Is it something you're selling on Armslist or elsewhere?

Yeah its on Armslist for trade and a guy in a neighboring State wants it. I listed a few items one of which is an EoTech. I'm not sure if its proper to link to it here on INGO. I dont want to make this into a sales thread nor do I think its proper to list an item in multiple forums. Its a plate carrier package easily worth $400 ...retail...LOL

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    That is very typical of Armslist, also a lot of people that know very little about firearms and their true value and or just plain ignorant. I was selling one of my handguns there and during the communication with the person interested the guy made a comment about been quiz about "how can you afford that king of handgun". I mention where I worked and the idiot assumed that I had a low paying job.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Seems like it's like that at a lot of gun shows. Their stuff's made of gold and my stuff's made of shxt.

That's what I am saying. Especially if you are telling me items are not valued at near retail when you are also asking near retail...LOL It works both ways dude!

and then there is a poor guy with the Fake C-More... he was NOT happy with me. I cant help you with that. I offered to go ahead with the deal after we talked with C-More...and he then replied, "I dont want your plate carrier anymore..." :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As my father taught me: "It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...period."

Yup.

OP, I'm not sure where you get your statistics on how things are only worth 50% of what it was new, etc, etc. but STFU is right. "Worth" is based on each individual. The old saying; " One man's junk is another man's treasure" is a valid saying.

The reality is nothing has value unless it is being used or converted into money so it can be used. My father in law talks about how valuable his stamp collection is and how some of his stamps are worth $600, blah, blah. Well, now that most people who give a darn about stamp collecting are dead, he's trying to sell of his collection in large lots to try to get some money. And it's not going that great.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Yup.

OP, I'm not sure where you get your statistics on how things are only worth 50% of what it was new, etc, etc. but STFU is right. "Worth" is based on each individual. The old saying; " One man's junk is another man's treasure" is a valid saying.

The reality is nothing has value unless it is being used or converted into money so it can be used. My father in law talks about how valuable his stamp collection is and how some of his stamps are worth $600, blah, blah. Well, now that most people who give a darn about stamp collecting are dead, he's trying to sell of his collection in large lots to try to get some money. And it's not going that great.

I work for one of the worlds largest manufacturers. I can nearly guarantee that every single person who reads this has at least 3 items in their home, garage, boat or RV from one of my factories. The retail cost of an item is at a bear minimum 50% of what it cost from the factory. 70% is normally a good place to assume on most items, but some items are near 90%. It is rare to sell an item closer to what it cost to replace at the factory level.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    So did you trade? Are you now experiencing buyers remorse? :stickpoke::stickpoke:

I see stuff all the time that I pass on because it is too high in my opinion but sometimes there are people who will buy at that price.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    So did you trade? Are you now experiencing buyers remorse? :stickpoke::stickpoke:

I see stuff all the time that I pass on because it is too high in my opinion but sometimes there are people who will buy at that price.

LOL, No. we ended our conversation when I informed him if my Plate carrier deal was only worth $150, then his EOTech was also only worth $150. Same rules apply both ways.

As I said I dont have any problem with what people want for their stuff, that is their business.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Trading can be fun, aggravating, and entertaining. Can make friends into foes and new acquaintances into friends.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yeah its on Armslist for trade and a guy in a neighboring State wants it. I listed a few items one of which is an EoTech. I'm not sure if its proper to link to it here on INGO. I dont want to make this into a sales thread nor do I think its proper to list an item in multiple forums. Its a plate carrier package easily worth $400 ...retail...LOL

Do plates and plate carries have an expiration date like traditional body armor does?
    If so, maybe he is taking that into account.
    I would not do that trade either, for a couple of reasons, the Eotech is outdated.
    And who knows how hard it has been ran.

As far as posting on multiple forums, I do it all the time, you reach more buyers that way.
    I would not link it here, but you could offer it for sale or trade here, and mention in your ad that it is cross posted.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Armslist is full of scammers and ass holes. I dont use it for buying or selling. If I cant find what I want on ingo I'll look local and then I'll look online elsewhere from companies.
    I think there are a bunch of dealers or wannabe dealers on armslist looking or hoping for a sucker or someone who is desperate for cash.
    I like to know who I'm dealing with, so I stick to ingo

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You do see some regional variation. Also, people who've apparently been unaware of the Internet and buy at Gander Mountain so they can pass those prices on to you. I've seen multiple guns listed here that I could get new cheaper at retail, particularly online.

Sort of on topic, I was poking around on gunbroker a few nights ago and saw a reasonable price on a LNIB P245. The title included both "LNIB" and "Mint" so I opened the add. Rust on the slide, obvious wear on the barrel indicating a reasonably high round count, etc. I don't think Sig shipped them with rust pitting on the slide, so I'm thinking the more accurate description would have been "well worn P245, but has the original stuff".

And, yes, Colts aren't that great. When they were in current production they weren't terribly popular at their price point, which is why they went out of production. They are pretty, though. Aesthetics and scarcity matters for a collectible.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Do plates and plate carries have an expiration date like traditional body armor does?
    If so, maybe he is taking that into account.
    I would not do that trade either, for a couple of reasons, the Eotech is outdated.
    And who knows how hard it has been ran.

As far as posting on multiple forums, I do it all the time, you reach more buyers that way.
    I would not link it here, but you could offer it for sale or trade here, and mention in your ad that it is cross posted.

The newer plastic lvl IV plates do have a life span as well as being compromised by extreme heat, weather and hard use. As do the ceramic plates. Mine are hardened armor steel. The only aspect of hard armor steel is if the outer coating is breached rust can form, but it would take years to degrade it to a point its unsafe to wear.

Top Bottom