• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Hey everyone!! I've been pretty absent lately, for multiple reasons, but mostly because we've been in the process of buying a new house so all "fun" purchases have been put on hold for the last few months.

Anyway, we're now in the new house and I've got a bit of a quandry: where to put my gun safe?!?!?!

My initial thought was my basement, but I'm worried about possible moisture issues. This is an old house, ie mid to late 1800s build. The basement is multiple layers of brick and about as solid as you can get. The previous owner said they don't get water in the basement, but there are signs of moisture at some point, not flood moisture, but some staining on the floor in spots and it has that classic musty smell. We've been in the house multiple times over the last couple of months, and in it for about a week and I've never seen water, but it still worries me. Would a golden rod be enough? I really don't want to rely on a dehumidifier for the rest of my life, but this is by far the most secure spot. 12" thick brick walls on all sides with no other access other than the door to the room and the basement.

My other options are a detached 3 car garage that is right next to the house, or my shop that is in the next lot, ie not very close.

I'm just looking for opinions. I would really love to make the basement work, but I don't want to ruin anything either.

thanks!
    Clay

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Personally, I would go basement. I would try to mount the safe off the main floor if possible, on a pallet or something fashioned under it to keep it a bit up if there is minor flooding. I'd also rely on a dehumidifier.

I store all of my ammo and cases with dessicant, and I believe it has really helped keep dampness and moisture out over the years. The other locations may be safe enough and better suited, but I feel better having stuff under the same roof.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If I wasn't 100% sure the basement will NEVER have water accumulation, I wouldn't put a safe down there. The musty smell tells the tale for me. That aside, I would not store guns in a separate building.

Curious why your safe can't be in a room on the main floor.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The golden rods and dehumidifiers work pretty well in basements. Always put the safe where it's the hardest to get it out of the house.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I would either build a "pallet" out of concrete blocks to elevate the safe (along with running a dehumidifier down there 24/7 - and a golden rod or two IN the safe) or I'd do my absolute best to have the safe on another level.

Be sure to look up your place here: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search and hopefully you did before signing the papers!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I've had homes similar to yours. Basement collects humidity & musty because it lacks air circulation. If you want to use the basement for ANYTHING, it will need dehumidifier. Buy one, run it for a week, you may be surprised how well it solves the problem for you. Once it stabilizes the humidity, it just kicks on & off as needed. Then you can decide based on good Intel.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would either build a "pallet" out of concrete blocks to elevate the safe (along with running a dehumidifier down there 24/7 - and a golden rod or two IN the safe) or I'd do my absolute best to have the safe on another level.

Be sure to look up your place here: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search and hopefully you did before signing the papers!

Even better, Pour a small slab for it. That way you can secure the safe to the slab, which you may not be able to do as securely with blocks.

And if you are concerned about water accumulation, you can add on a waterbug to your alarm, or add one of these cheapies...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Basement-Watchdog-Battery-Operated-Water-Alarm-BWD-HWA/100038838

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Do the detached garage and shop have an HVAC system? If not, then I don't think they solve anything regarding humidity anyway.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think Hawkeye and camera-monkey Have your answers. Even if you don’t put a safe down there, I’ll bet the humidity is not doing the rest of your house any good at all.

And pouring the slab with anchor points embedded in it would be excellent for your safe. [STRIKE] Burgers [/STRIKE] Burglars will tip an unsecured safe on its back To get better leverage for working on the door. (Burgers probably would too.)

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And it doesnt take anything crazy to secure the slab. Drill in some redhead anchors into the floor within the perimeter of the new slab. Add some bolts and Interconnect them with some angle iron. Then pour the elevated slab and that steel will guarantee the slab doesnt separate from the floor.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I think Hawkeye and camera-monkey Have your answers. Even if you don’t put a safe down there, I’ll bet the humidity is not doing the rest of your house any good at all.

And pouring the slab with anchor points embedded in it would be excellent for your safe. Burgers will tip an unsecured safe on its back To get better leverage for working on the door.

I just want to know where you get your burgers...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Where ever you choose to install your safe I would suggest that you install it with the back against a wall and the opening side of the door pointing towards a wall. With mounting it in that manner its really hard to get a long pry bar into the opening side of the door to peel open the front wall like a sardine can. and bolt it to the floor. if its concrete use expanding bolts / quick bolts and drill the hole deep enough to drive the wedge anchors flush with the floor if down the road you need to move the safe. also drill through the back and put a few lags into the wall studs.

Like with this safe below, facing the picture there should be a wall in the back and on the left side. And did I mention bolting it down??? Once a thief gets a safe laying on the floor its short work to get the door open. Dont raise it up with a pallet or anything not solid and cant be bolted correctly to the floor. so it doesn't make a leverage point to flip over the vault.
    View attachment 70021

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm ashamed that I didn't even think about mixing and pouring your own elevated slab in the basement! Sheesh.

Clay - you're definitely capable of handling that on your own.

The real trick would then be getting the safe UP onto that elevated portion.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a friend that has two safes in his basement.
    He has Goldenrods, the basement doesn't flood, and he still had mildew type stuff on his firearms when he got them out to show me.
    I wouldn't put a gunsafe in a basement unless it's a basement that's on high ground and not humid.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I'm ashamed that I didn't even think about mixing and pouring your own elevated slab in the basement! Sheesh.

Clay - you're definitely capable of handling that on your own.

The real trick would then be getting the safe UP onto that elevated portion.

Not really, just leverage... A Johnson Bar or any worthwhile long prybar, a few short pieces of pipe and some dunage, and you can easily move the world by yourself.

Top Bottom