• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Now if you have several of those to chose from get one with a smooth bore slug barrel and adjustable rifle type sights on it. This is actually cylinder bore which is what people used to kill everything for a hudred years. You can hunt every thing with it, rabbits, squirrells, birds and deer. I've shot skeet with one before and didn't have the lowest score on the squad.

I saw this post from Jack Ryan in another thread and it reminded me of a quick story.

My folks are from a small town in ohio that has a trap shoot every friday night. When we would visit on weekends we could see the lights from my grandparent's house, and on Saturday morning we'd go with grandpa to pick up all the un broken clays. The day I was old enough to shoot out there couldn't come fast enough.

My dad isn't into shooting and guns like I am but when I was around 16 we took the only two shotguns in our house at the time, his 870 he bought when he was 16 and my great grandpa's winchester model '97 (they have one in the Patton museum ha!) out to ohio for the weekend with intentions to shoot.

We went out on friday night and it was mostly a crowd of men in their 40s and 50s with nice over under expensive trap guns. The looks we got when we put our guns in the rack outside the main building were priceless. So we got to shooting and to everyone's amazement the little city boy with the ol' knuckle-buster out shot most who were there :rockwoot: That shotgun is a pain the the a$$ but it served me well that night (considering it was only the second time I'd ever shot trap.)

It's nothing amazing but it's the first shooting "feat" that I was ever really proud of, and the first time I felt truly confident and capable with a gun in my hand. It really helped spark my continued interest in shooting in general. Anyone else remember that first moment for them?

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    My dad, my brother and I were invited guest to a turkey shoot at a club in Kokomo. My dad and I won the two top prizes and my brother won one of the minor prizes. We used an old full choke Mod 12 that dad had picked up use and my Ithaca Mod 66 shotgun. I think it was about 1959 or 1960. The three of us was a bunch of peacocks that day....LOL

We was not invited back the next year.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    My father and grandfathers started me shooting .22 rifles and revolvers when I was 3 or 4. Most everyone on both sides of my family, men and women, were good shots, so I didn't think a lot about it growing up.
    When I was in boot camp I qualified on an old beat-up 1911 that was not very accurate, but did shoot good enough to get my pistol ribbon. In the navy it was rare to get a chance to qualify on the range, usually it was shooting from the fantail of moving ship.

About ten years after joining I was stationed in Washington DC. While there I had a chance to pistol qualify at Andrews AFB. I had not even touched a pistol in about three years, but wanted to see how good I could do.

I had a friend who, lived for shooting. He was always talking about what modifications he did to his guns, his special reloading procedures, and how great he was on the range. At the range we were issued brand new Berettas to qualify with. We shot for a high score of 210. The highest score of three tries is what counted for qualification.

After we shot the first time, my friend came up to me and goes "I got a 205, how did you do?" To which I replied "206." He went running to the range officer, who confirmed my score. After the second round he comes up, all smug, and goes "Well I got a 208!" I replied "I shot a 209." Again he went to the range officer, who again confirmed my score. On the final round I did my best to get the best score I could, I definitely didn't want to mess up with my friend agonizing over my score!

After the final round my friend came up to me, and goes "Well I may not beat you, but I tied with a 209." I tried not to laugh as I said "I got a 210." I thought he would cry. I know you should not take comfort in a friends pain, but it was hilarious!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I remember the first time I ever shot clay pigens. I went with my Dad, and a friend of his. I was using a pump, and hitting 2 clays at a time. It was just a stock 870. His friend could not believe it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I don't remember the first one. Had to be with my dad's 410 double or my BB gun.

Now you've got me thinking about it, I remember going to some kind of scout camp, boy scout or cub scout I don't remember. We shot single shot 22 on a range and had instructors and every thing. Did prone and sitting position shooting, may be more. That's about all I remember about it.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I got to go rabbit hunting with my Dad and four of his friends from Indianapolis when I was 11 or 12. I had a Sears and Roebuck bolt action 410 with a polychoke that Mom had bought somewhere and given to me. I rolled the first three rabbits we saw in a row that day, the last one was forty yards and heading down a groundhog hole. Everyone thought I had missed, but when I went to look, the rabbit was laying right at the entrance. All of Dad's friends gave me the dickens, but Dad patted me on the shoulder and said "good shot". I think I floated back to the house that day.

Top Bottom