• ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Hope this is ok in the general section.

I am wanting to sell a gun, but not sure the best way to do it. I have read the rules for the forum and nothing seems to be a problem. My concern is, in a nut shell, what is the safest way to do it.

For those who have done this before, I have a couple of questions:

1) Where does one meet the potential buyer? (i.e. public parking lot - Walmart or something?)
    2) I know you need to verify they are a residence of Indiana, but besides DL, is there anything else (i.e LTC)?
    3) What other safeguards should I beware of? Anything to be weary of?
    4) When should a sale not happen?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you sell to an established member of ingo you should be ok. SHOULD being the key word. We are civilians. We dont have access to background checks and databases. If you ask to see their Larry (LTCH) just to visually see that they are a Indiana resident, of proper age, and a proper person, to the best of YOUR known ability, then you should be fine. Some people wanna do bill of sales. To each their own. But if you want someone to trust you to give you their name and address you had better have a really good damn deal lol. Even then a lot of people (good law abiding people) wont do a bill of sale.
    As always if something doesnt smell right then walk away. Trust your gut.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I usually met in a store parking lot during daylight with my wife riding shotgun. Once the police parking lot in Syracuse. The rules can be relaxed depending. I have been invited to a few houses, businesses and have invited one to my house. But those were people that we felt like we knew each other from here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As others have said. And be 110% up front. NO SURPRISES.

If you want a bill of sale, put it in the ad. Dont spring it on them at the meet up. Same with LTCH, if you want to take a picture of it, just see it, etc. Some folks here will pass on things like a BoS, or even showing the LTCH.

And even more important, if you arent going to be alone, say so. "Wife will be with me", "Meeting you on the way to the range so expect a car load of dudes.", "My buddy knows rifles more than I do, so he will be with me to give it a once over." etc. Nothing sets my spidey senses on 11 like expecting a solo dude and he shows up with a car load. On other sites, thats a red flag that you are about to get rolled.

And if you are selling, show up with exact change, or let the seller know ahead of time you wont. "Got a $10? I only have four twenties for that $70 item. Otherwise I'm gonna be a few mins late stopping for change.")

That is one thing I like about INGO. Its a community of hyper vetted buyers and sellers. Lots of you characters I wouldnt hesitate saying "just stop by the house. I'll be here." No way in hell I'd do that with Craigslist, etc.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    In order of your questions

1) I like doing buisness in a parking lot of some sorts and definitely during daylight hours. I trend towards Bass pro, Cabelas, Auto Zone, Wal-Mart, etc.
    Sometimes will have people come to the shop where i work if its easier for them
    People i have dealt with before and feel very comfortable with can come to the house

2) Verifying Indiana residency and not selling to a person you KNOW is not proper is all thats required by law.
    I personally check Valid Indiana Id and make sure they're over 18. Ask them if they're a proper person and legal to own firearms. Thats all my legal obligations are.
    Some will ask for ltch, and thats all at your discretion. Some feel seeing a ltch means the person has obviously passed a background check at some point.
    Some want bill of sale and you can print those off the internet. Just google firearm bill of sale. Im fine with that but only info you're getting is name and phone number. I will not give D.l number or address

3) If person is sketchy, acting, strange, etc. Dont do the deal. Trust your gut for sure

4) If buyer refuses to show id, sends someone else to buy, or otherwise acts strangely...back away

Please be upfront with whom you are dealing with as to what you'd like to see for verification before the meet so there are no surprises.
    And if you're truly not sure, transfer thru an ffl, but once again be upfront that it is how you wish to conduct the sale.

Good luck on your sale. Ive had many deals and for the most part never had an issue. I did refuse a sale once beacuse the buyer "forgot" his id, and the car he was driving had Illinois plates. No sale!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    "I know you need to verify they are a residence of Indiana, but besides DL, is there anything else (i.e LTC)?"

No, you don't. The law states you can't have any reason to believe they can't legally possess the gun, not that you need to verify they are a resident of Indiana or even a violent felon. Either would be unlawful for them to buy, but not for you to sell, so long as you did not "have a reason to believe" they cannot lawfully purchase or possess the gun. If your spidey senses tell you they may be from out of state or a violent felon, back out and politely leave. Some prefer seeing ID and LTCH, some want to record the information from them (I won't do business with them), some want to just see ID. Some don't want to have any further interaction than the legal minimums. Just because you don't verify information does not mean you are a criminal, because the law says you do not have to. I have purchased a personally owned AR15 from a cop out of his squad car without him even asking for my drivers license, I have also walked away from deals where they wanted to record my information. It is all what YOU are comfortable with. Like others have said, state UP FRONT if you want to see ID, LTCH or both, or want a bill of sale. But the law says as long as you have no reason to believe they can't legally buy or possess the gun, you are good to go. This protects honest people from breaking laws by accident.

Here you go:
    "Private firearms transfers (i.e., transfers by non-firearms dealers) are not subject to a background check requirement in Indiana. Indiana Code Annotated § 35-47-2-8 specifically notes that the handgun sales regulations under Chapter 35-47-2 (i.e., the prohibited purchaser provisions) apply equally to an occasional sale, trade, or transfer between individual persons and to retail transactions between dealers and individual persons.

Pursuant to section 35-47-2-7(a), a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon to any person under age 18, except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship, or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with section 35-47-10 (provisions relating to children and firearms).

Indiana prohibits any person from selling, giving, or in any manner transferring the ownership or possession of a handgun to another individual the transferor has reasonable cause to believe:

Has been convicted of a felony;

Is a drug abuser;

Is an alcohol abuser; or

Is mentally incompetent."

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I heard once that there have been more legal gun sales in the Greenwood Gander Mountain lot than in the store. It's just a vacant lot now. Be public! Do whatever you're comfortable with about ID and LTCH. I wanta' see both from a buyer. I don't retain anything but the buyer's name they sign on a bill of sale. If you're the seller, it is your game and you get to set the rules. Make sure the rules are known upfront. Put them in the ad. If a buyer wants you to change the rules, walk away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

If you want a bill of sale, put it in the ad. Dont spring it on them at the meet up. Same with LTCH, if you want to take a picture of it, just see it, etc. Some folks here will pass on things like a BoS, or even showing the LTCH.

That is one thing I like about INGO. Its a community of hyper vetted buyers and sellers. Lots of you characters I wouldnt hesitate saying "just stop by the house. I'll be here." No way in hell I'd do that with Craigslist, etc.

If you do not know who you are selling/buying to or from here on Ingo you need to spend just a bit of time looking them up. Hyper Vetted is correct. If I see all that BOS/LTCH I pass. JMHO of course. Do as you will. Your game.

Everything has been covered up thread.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I heard once that there have been more legal gun sales in the Greenwood Gander Mountain lot than in the store. It's just a vacant lot now. Be public! Do whatever you're comfortable with about ID and LTCH. I wanta' see both from a buyer. I don't retain anything but the buyer's name they sign on a bill of sale. If you're the seller, it is your game and you get to set the rules. Make sure the rules are known upfront. Put them in the ad. If a buyer wants you to change the rules, walk away.

I have made several FTF deals there. Right off the interstate. Dicks NW side as well.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Hope this is ok in the general section.

I am wanting to sell a gun, but not sure the best way to do it. I have read the rules for the forum and nothing seems to be a problem. My concern is, in a nut shell, what is the safest way to do it.

For those who have done this before, I have a couple of questions:

1) Where does one meet the potential buyer? (i.e. public parking lot - Walmart or something?)
    2) I know you need to verify they are a residence of Indiana, but besides DL, is there anything else (i.e LTC)?
    3) What other safeguards should I beware of? Anything to be weary of?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

After midnight.
    In a bar.
    In a restroom.
    In the alley.

Or any combination above...

Just remember-
    Some of the scariest looking guys I've met are the biggest teddy bears out there......... and I'm sure resemble half of INGO. Just keep your wits about you.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

And even more important, if you arent going to be alone, say so. "Wife will be with me", "Meeting you on the way to the range so expect a car load of dudes.", "My buddy knows rifles more than I do, so he will be with me to give it a once over." etc. Nothing sets my spidey senses on 11 like expecting a solo dude and he shows up with a car load. On other sites, thats a red flag that you are about to get rolled.

And if you are selling, show up with exact change, or let the seller know ahead of time you wont. "Got a $10? I only have four twenties for that $70 item. Otherwise I'm gonna be a few mins late stopping for change.")

Exactly!!
    Put it in the ad and no surprises.
    If you just ask, hey are you an Indiana resident over 18 or 21 and not a felon or do you have a LTCH? If they tell you yes, then you've done all you can do really. They could lie but you cant help that. If you want to handle things like a lawyer and cross every t and dot every i then take your gun to a shop and put it on consignment. Because that's the ONLY other way besides a bill of sale that makes a legal paper trail transferring ownership of that firearm. But it's the only way to make sure they are legally able to own a firearm because they have to pass a background check. If they lie to you and buy a gun when they arent legaly supposed to then THEY are breaking the law and not you.
    I like personal sales because theres none of that BS. I have no bad intentions and dealing on ingo the people I'm dealing with dont either.
    I avoid things like craigslist and armslist because you do not know who you are dealing with. I know a lot of ingo people sell on there and they can sell things higher than anyone on ingo would ever pay for them. But for me its not worth dealing with tire kickers and email and phone number collectors and scammers and criminals that all rampant on those sites

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You are not gonna have any trouble dealing with any seasoned INGO classifieds trader. They will see your iTrader profile is empty and likely take you by the hand and lead you through everything.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I certainly haven't had any problem meeting other INGOers, or random people from Armslist.

Insisting on a current and valid Indiana ID and a Indiana LTCH weeds out a lot of the riffraff. Meet in a public place, tell someone where you're going and who you're meeting, and you should be fine.

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    I've made several successful transactions through armslist and had no issues. I haven't tried this site yet, but I dont sell anymore. I always fill out Bill's of sale for myself and the other party. I always check ID, age, etc. The IN ltch is a good thing to check as well. Just for personal protection I listed up front that a buyer/seller would have to fill out a bill of sale and show valid picture ID, and had no issues. Basically a common sense approach to selling anything. Always have some kind of record of things you bought or sold for future reference.

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    I've made several successful transactions through armslist and had no issues. I haven't tried this site yet, but I dont sell anymore. I always fill out Bill's of sale for myself and the other party. I always check ID, age, etc. The IN ltch is a good thing to check as well. Just for personal protection I listed up front that a buyer/seller would have to fill out a bill of sale and show valid picture ID, and had no issues. Basically a common sense approach to selling anything. Always have some kind of record of things you bought or sold for future reference.

And yes, I have had to walk away from strange situations and you would be surprised how many people try to lie about age, state of residence, etc. Look all identification over good.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I know you read the rules but just a tip if I may.

Give a clear and accurate description. The more details the more chance of a sale and less headaches later and less pm's asking questions because you havent answered them.

List the caliber even if it seems obvious. Barrel length maybe.
    List a clear price and or any trade options.
    List your location.
    And please list a good picture or a few pictures. Pics are soooooo important and will help you sell your item (plus it's a rule). It only helps you. Hell I've bought some things on here that the seller could have gotten a lot more money for an item if they would have had a clear picture and knew what they were selling too. Research your item

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I know you read the rules but just a tip if I may.

Give a clear and accurate description. The more details the more chance of a sale and less headaches later and less pm's asking questions because you havent answered them.

List the caliber even if it seems obvious. Barrel length maybe.
    List a clear price and or any trade options.
    List your location.
    And please list a good picture or a few pictures. Pics are soooooo important and will help you sell your item (plus it's a rule). It only helps you. Hell I've bought some things on here that the seller could have gotten a lot more money for an item if they would have had a clear picture and knew what they were selling too. Research your item

And make sure it is a picture of your item. Not a random internet picture that "looks like all the rest of them".

Concise ad, picture, asking price and conditions of sale and location (and if you are willing to meet/ship or not, etc).

Top Bottom