• ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok.

2 things I smiled at, in a gallows humor kind of way:
    - handcuffing the guy who appeared to be in the process of bleeding out.
    - from the 2d officer's body cam, when dude checked his watch when explaining how much time he had left on probation. Funny, because I don't think the watch informed him how many MONTHS he had left and because it was kinda symbolic of how much time he actually had left.

I know that cameras - in-car and body - don't always tell the whole story. But, they really can tell a whole bunch of it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, when he comes back to life he does not hurt anyone. It's just a puny handgun, not a 30MM.

Quiz time: how long was Mattix "dead" before he came back to life?

Oh, I guess I should've been clearer, totally agree with doing it and know why it was being done. Made me smile, though, to think he was bleeding out while it was happening. :)

ETA:
    That was the Miami shootout, right? I think the best answer is, "Not long enough the first time."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mattix=come back to life after taking .355 bullet to the head.

Platt=sustained mortal gunshot to the heart, attempted to murder 3 additional law enforcement officers after sustaining wound.

It's just a handgun. Unless the head is 6 or more feet away from the body, he may be down but he is still in the fight.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not that I don't think it is a natural human response, but is it allowed under normal police procedures to fire at a man lying on the ground, not attacking, and probably wounded?

I am in NO WAY bashing the cop, but it seems odd to put a bullet in a downed man as acceptable under normal police rules of engagement.

Doug

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not that I don't think it is a natural human response, but is it allowed under normal police procedures to fire at a man lying on the ground, not attacking, and probably wounded?

I am in NO WAY bashing the cop, but it seems odd to put a bullet in a downed man as acceptable under normal police rules of engagement.

Doug

You see a spider on your arm. You brush it off, not once, but sometimes multiple times before you realize that the spider is not there.

Takes a cycle for the brain to turn the body off.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    500975B700000578-0-image-a-36_1536684715849.jpg

The officer was shot with a .380, looks like FMJ rounds. Broke her femur.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You see a spider on your arm. You brush it off, not once, but sometimes multiple times before you realize that the spider is not there.

Takes a cycle for the brain to turn the body off.

I hear what you are saying, and agree. As I said, "...natural human response..."

However, would most LE training support or rebuke putting a round in an unmoving, nonthreatening badguy?

This action, could be taken as "overkill" by certain segments of the population. Again, if I were on any sort of jury judging the guy I find NO problem with it. He was in an extremely tense, fast moving situation.

Regards,

Doug

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think I saw the suspect's arms move toward the weapon when that last shot was fired.

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    Seems the last shot was good instinct under the circumstances. I don't see projectiles passing through cars as sufficient to neutralize the threat and THAT threat most certainly needed stopped fast.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Scary potential crossfire there as well.

Good job by the shooting officer tho. Man it amazes me that he didn't just mag dump on the bad guy. He saw his partner get shot, had a bullet fly his direction... that is control in my opinion.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    my:twocents::

*The 'passenger officer' probably didn't know whether the BG was incapacitated when he fell, and when he came around the back of the car, he had no reason--or time--under the circumstances to ask "say uncle?".

*From my arm-chair view, I'm sure he saw the BG's gun. He seemed to be moving to his left before shots were fired, in order to get his partner out of his line of fire.

*I think the LEO's made a serious mistake in being opposite each other (IANALEO) and should have triangulated the driver (D.O. behind the BG and P.O. to BG's left) especially since they knew he had a criminal past and was out on probation.

*Post-trauma cluster-f**k of "now what?" was on full display: first aid?, call ambulance?, wait, handcuff BG? Not saying this as a knock on the LEOs, it's just a matter of stuffing multiple items, simultaneously, through one's OODA loop under pressure--on that point, kudos to the injured officer to think of cuffing the BG!

*Did anyone catch the CLEO say "...as we continue to investigate this incident in the coming MONTHS..."? Maybe they should hire Sherlock Holmes? Hearing that, if I was in LAPD, I'd have some questions about whether the brass had my back.

*.380 isn't ideal but it still deserves some respect

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I hear what you are saying, and agree. As I said, "...natural human response..."

However, would most LE training support or rebuke putting a round in an unmoving, nonthreatening badguy?

This action, could be taken as "overkill" by certain segments of the population. Again, if I were on any sort of jury judging the guy I find NO problem with it. He was in an extremely tense, fast moving situation.

Regards,

Doug

The angle is not good enough to say that the suspect was ZERO threat. I'll tell you that if I came around and the suspect was down but so much as moved a finger in the direction of the gun, he's getting stopped, likely another shot.

Top Bottom