• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    So, I was at a local store today and was inquiring about a firearm in the display case, I asked if they had one in the back (if they did i was going to put in layaway), he comes back out and says they have NIB in the back but its going to be $30 more than the exact same gun that is on display because of its manufactured date.:dunno:
    I've never had this experience! anyone else?

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I guess the thing that gets me, I had just got done telling the manager how i'm not spending my $$ at online Buds because a very VERY minimal discount that Buds wouldnt grant,telling him how Buds lost my business for just afew dollars And then this!

So this local gun shop just lost my business for the very same reason!! A FEW DOLLARS!! :dunno:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The NIB model in the back may have a manufacturing defect that the coon fingered one in the case doesn't have. It might have a horribly rifled barrel. You pays your money and you takes yer chances buying a gun these days. But I used to work for a gun shop and I have never heard of the policy you described. If a display had some finish gouge because some idiot dropped it on the floor we would drop the price a little. Over the years I have bought a lot of used guns and I really don't worry about the finish at all as long as it runs like deer. I fully plan to wear the finish off when I buy it. I don't do the "safe queen" thang. Also, I REALLY like your dog........ He's beautiful.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So, I was at a local store today and was inquiring about a firearm in the display case, I asked if they had one in the back (if they did i was going to put in layaway), he comes back out and says they have NIB in the back but its going to be $30 more than the exact same gun that is on display because of its manufactured date.:dunno:
    I've never had this experience! anyone else?

What brand and model was the gun?
    Was it one that the earlier made ones had issues, and the one in the back was made after a certain date when the issues were supposedly fixed?

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Maybe the shop's cost was a little higher for the one in back, bought at a later date?

This does happen regularly. Good example is when Ruger lowered the price on the standard LCP. Most shops took a hit. Guns come from different distributors and costs vary. Shops usually try to balance the pricing. If the one in the case had been sitting for a while they may have marked it down to move it simply because it had been handled a lot and been there for a while..

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I was looking at buying 2 Sig P250's when Sig discontinued them, one store in Anderson had a few in stock and asked the owner about Sig dropping the price 100 bucks on the wholesale price if he was going to give that off these pistols. He told me No Way, I said ok,then order me two compact 9MM's with factory nites and 4 extra mags.
    He was not happy that I knew about the discounted price, but he did order them and passed the 100 each off to me.
    Last time I was in there, the other P250's were still there. :dunno:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think someone is being a dick at that shop

Yep, I would have walked. If I buy a gun at the LGS, I always ask for one from stock (and give it a once over before purchase).
    I understand that someone will end up buying the one in the display, I just try and not be the person to do so. Of course, the one in the display could have been there 5 minutes or could have been handled a 1000 times, just a hang up I have.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If the one in the case had been sitting for a while they may have marked it down to move it simply because it had been handled a lot and been there for a while..

I get that, but then the tag should reflect, price good on this one... basically showing that the sale price is on the display item only. Otherwise, I'd expect the pricing shown to be on every one of that specific model in stock at the time.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I guess the thing that gets me, I had just got done telling the manager how i'm not spending my $$ at online Buds because a very VERY minimal discount that Buds wouldnt grant,telling him how Buds lost my business for just afew dollars And then this!

So this local gun shop just lost my business for the very same reason!! A FEW DOLLARS!! :dunno:

Just curious, what model of gun and what shop?

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Lets just say that ALOT of folks on here LOVE THE SHOP!! I dont know if i wanna slam this shop by calling them out. They have been good to most folks on here and we are all in this together. The gun community need to stick together. It was a CZ75 SA. BOTH GUNS WERE THE EXACT SAME!!
    But they have lost my business.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    The NIB model in the back may have a manufacturing defect that the coon fingered one in the case doesn't have. It might have a horribly rifled barrel. You pays your money and you takes yer chances buying a gun these days. But I used to work for a gun shop and I have never heard of the policy you described. If a display had some finish gouge because some idiot dropped it on the floor we would drop the price a little. Over the years I have bought a lot of used guns and I really don't worry about the finish at all as long as it runs like deer. I fully plan to wear the finish off when I buy it. I don't do the "safe queen" thang. Also, I REALLY like your dog........ He's beautiful.
    Thanks shes's ALL BUSINESS!

Top Bottom