• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    For me it depends on where you carry. IWB small of the back or anywhere not on my hip causes back pain. Strong side hip is good to go IWB and OWB.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I switched from IWB on the small of my back.. it was unbearable, to strong side hip owb. I don't like IWB on the hip. with this high rise holster I have I completely conceal a fs mp 9 with just a tshirt.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If either is causing back pain, unless you have some specific injury or disease, the answer is appropriate exercise, stretching, and possibly a visit to sports medicine/physical therapy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The only pain I seem to notice, if I carry a heavy pistol, I have to tighten my belt, one extra notch to keep my pants up (having the noassatall disease) and that seems to make my hips hurt over the course of the day.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If either is causing back pain, unless you have some specific injury or disease, the answer is appropriate exercise, stretching, and possibly a visit to sports medicine/physical therapy.

I carried a SS Colt Double Eagle 45ACP in the small of my back in an ITB holster for over 20 years! I am now 77 YO and have had both hips replaced and deteriorating arthritus in my lower spine! The weight and size of the Colt became an issue to drive any distance and even caused discomfort when walking.

I finally gave up carrying that gun and went to my current Kimber Solo 9MM, carrying it at about 3-4 oclock in an ITB Graco holster. Works well for me without any issues.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

I am 30 and have had back surgery for herniated disc had to adjust carrying methods. Even if there is NO pain I highly suggest out of the wasteband with a high rise holster... so easy to conceal don't need giant pants to fit the gun.. easier / faster to draw... and even if you accidently have your shirt slip up... people have faces buried in their phones anyhow wouldn't notice if you were carrying a de 50. Wish I had done it sooner would have saved me money on different holsters and some pain

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Only pains I have ever had from carrying have been from tightening my belt a bit more to keep my pants up. Once I do that it causes the metal button on my jeans to dig into my waist. As far as IWB carry, I've found that a wider holster base such as alien gear or crossbreed etc tend to spread the load better which seems to make it more comfortable

hans1911

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 10, 2018
    Covington
    I carry a S&W Shield IWB in a DeSantis Insider about the 3:30 position.
    My L2,3,4 discs are shot, so any other position, or small of the back for sure causes some discomfort quickly.
    If I carry anything bigger I go high rise OWB.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have back issues, but can't say that IWB carry with a good hybrid holster causes me any real issues. I tend to carry toward small of the back, and have done so for many hours at a time doing all kinds of activities without real issues.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    I was having back and hip issues while carrying IWB, until my wife bought me a Bigfoot gun belt. Going to a heavy duty belt pretty much eliminated all issues.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

I know this is a good deal of the problem. I have had back pain since I was a teenager. Now in my 50's it hasn't gotten any better. My wife had me doing yoga with her for awhile. I hated it. But it actually helped. I usually carry a micro 9 in a Talon holster at 3 o'clock, and usually forget it is there. I have put on a little weight lately, and think that even the small pistol puts my back out of alignment ever so slightly. I was just trying to visualize if a holster was outside the waistband, would it still pull my spine out of alignment. I struggled for a long time finding the right combination with the most concealment. I hate to switch...maybe yoga is the answer. :fogey:

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I am currently using a Vedder Lightuck and that has worked very well for me so far, but I i have never tried a high ride OWB holster. I will have to look into getting one. My stupid holster draw is getting full!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Lotta good pieces here. My thoughts and connecting them:

It comes down to ergonomics and having the right tools. A good belt that supports the gun and distributes the weight so you don't have to crank a flimsy belt so tight does wonders. A good holster that doesn't poke and prod or slide around does wonders. All of that comes down to ergonomics just like a good keyboard and properly positioned chair, keyboard, and monitors. (which is why I have one of these at work: View attachment 70299 and honestly, it works! (after an adjustment period of course) I've had carpel tunnel symptoms for years but not since switching to this thing). Just like a good set of shoes or boots can be worn all day vs a worn out (or bad to start with) set will have you about in tears inside an hour because you hurt from your ankles to your ears.

I've read (no link, this was years ago) that one of the contributing factors of so many guys needing hip replacements was that they carry a wallet in the back pocket, that throws the hips out of alignment when sitting. Furthermore, talk to any chiropractor or PT: alignment of the legs, hips, shoulders, general posture, alignment of chairs, how you walk, etc all plays into your back. Stick a 2-3lb weight an inch thick on one side and you are slightly off balance. If you already have a history of general problems or an acute injury, they just exacerbate each other.

My vote is that the quality of the belt and holster matter more than IWB or OWB. I have good and bad holsters of each. I can carry the same gun IWB all day in a good holster no problem while a bad OWB is constantly poking and dragging my pants down or a good OWB that I forget is even there.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry AIWB. I find it helps in regards to back pain. The less stuff changing the way I sit the better. I don't even carry my wallet in my back pocket any more. My duty belt for work (corrections) doesn't have anything further back than the 3:30/8:30 positions.

Top Bottom