• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    How do we know it was "negligent" as opposed to "accidental"?

From the article, I'm not even sure his hands were on the firearm.

(Granted, what passes for written "reporting" these days is a mockery of traditional print reporting.)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We KNOW it was negligence or we SUSPECT it is negligent?

Doesn't matter. Facts only slow down opinions. Plus Internet gun culture dictates nothing is accidental. You can't operate if you don't know that there are no accidents only negligent...not accidents.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Doesn't matter. Facts only slow down opinions. Plus Internet gun culture dictates nothing is accidental. You can't operate if you don't know that there are no accidents only negligent...not accidents.

Well, INGO knows that there are accidents, e.g. a certain long gun in a certain southern state and a certain training facility.

Been around guns for more than several decades now. Have seen guns go off in many, many ways.

Before we dog pile SBPD, let's find out what happened first . . . then dog pile.:D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    At least it was in his holster and not in an intersection.

2X9c.gif

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Sounds like another segment for WSBT Channel 22's series next week "Impacted by Guns".

Suspecting they'll reveal GUNS to be the facilitator if not root of all evil in St Joseph County, think I'll find another means to occupy that time slot.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I'm involved in a vehicle crash is it considered a "negligent" rather than an "accident"?
    For Marketing purposes, it is an "accident".

If you look at your insurance card, it is considered a "collision".

IMHO, the vast majority of vehicle "accidents" are collisions due to someone's negligence. In car insurance lingo, that is an "at-fault accident".

Just because a lot of folks use the word incorrectly, doesn't change the meaning. Accidents happen by chance, with no apparent cause. Negligence has a cause; namely, someone's inattention. Other options are "reckless" (done on purpose, without care of the result) and "intentional" (you know darned well what will happen).

Accident: something failed in the gun, and we may never know why.
    Negligent: you didn't mean to pull the trigger, but you did.
    Reckless: You meant to pull the trigger, but didn't know or care were you pointed it.
    Intentional: You pointed it at your leg and pulled the trigger.

Of course, all if this is IMHO. Means nothing really. I am bored, and on the Internet, so....;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is why I normally just say UD, or Unintended Discharge. To avoid the semantic argument over which definition of "Accident" to use.

an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

vs

an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.

IMO, the first applies to gun discharges. The second applies to "happy accidents" like bumping into an old friend at a restaurant. Note the difference is "unfortunate".

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sorry for not linking the article that had the reholstering info. ND.

Thanks Expat.

Welcome to SB! Trying to arrest the suspect and a crowd surrounds the cops. They had to bring in reinforcements. Were having shootings galore here. Sketchy as hell.

Our mayor writes a book and holds up SB as "a model for America", I swear!

Top Bottom