• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • socketeer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The neighborhood in Indianapolis where I live has a community area for "all kinds" of recreation. We were basically roped into buying this land by a group of homeowners. Since I have access to this property, I'd like to take full advantage of it and do some outdoor target shooting. Unfortunately, trying to dig up the city/county/state laws has been a challenge. I suspect that Indy has draconian laws prohibiting outdoor shooting in all if not some areas but the question comes down to, what's the difference if you're shooting indoors vs. outdoors other than striking fear in the Left? Sure, shooting indoors "protects" the Left from the oppressive nature of the Second Amendment. Yeah, right.

Does anyone know what the legislation is in this case? I'm guessing that it's prohibited but I'm also hoping for a loophole.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Almost all cities have an ordinance prohibiting shooting within city limits. Often this includes more than you’d expect, like pellet guns and bows.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://library.municode.com/in/ind...s?nodeId=TITIIPUORSA_CH451WE_S451-3DIWEACPUWA

Sec. 451-2. - Firearms generally.

• Share Link
    • Print
    • Download (docx)
    • Email
    • Compare

Share Link to section Print section Download (Docx) of sections Email section Compare versions

(a)
    Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.
    (b)
    This section shall not apply to the United States Army, Navy or other armed forces, the National Guard, or to any duly constituted and authorized law enforcement and peace officer of any governmental unit, or to manufacturers and to repair facilities for testing purposes within a private range.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The neighborhood in Indianapolis where I live has a community area for "all kinds" of recreation. We were basically roped into buying this land by a group of homeowners. Since I have access to this property, I'd like to take full advantage of it and do some outdoor target shooting. Unfortunately, trying to dig up the city/county/state laws has been a challenge. I suspect that Indy has draconian laws prohibiting outdoor shooting in all if not some areas but the question comes down to, what's the difference if you're shooting indoors vs. outdoors other than striking fear in the Left? Sure, shooting indoors "protects" the Left from the oppressive nature of the Second Amendment. Yeah, right.

Does anyone know what the legislation is in this case? I'm guessing that it's prohibited but I'm also hoping for a loophole.

Where is this piece of property located? That will be the tell if shooting is allowed or not.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Where is this piece of property located? That will be the tell if shooting is allowed or not.

THIS.

IANAL, but generally speaking most anything outside 465 is legal to safely discharge a firearm. There are several private ranges within earshot of my place. One is southwest of Mills and Mann. (approximately)
    Just because you are in Marion County, aka Indianapolis, doesnt mean its automatically illegal.

The "no go" zone for prohibited discharge is the old city limits, prior to UniGov. (before the entire county became the city) So Mills and Mann, OK. Foltz and Standish, maybe. Minnesota and Belmont, Probably not. 10th and Belmont, absolutely not!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

If you are looking for outdoor shooting in Indianapolis city limits, 38th and Post seems to be a popular area.

Top Bottom