• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I have come to the difficult decision that my weak, semi-arthritic left hand cannot be trusted to rack my CZ 75 Compact PCR in an emergency situation; the tipping point was yesterday at the range. I always go through 100 rounds or so with one or two snapcaps inserted randomly into each of the 5 range magazines. As each simulated malfunction occurs, I run the smack it and rack it drill, mentally putting myself into a stressful situation.

Even under such mild, artificial stress, either my hand slips or I don't get the slide all the way back 30% of the time. After a couple of thousand rounds without a single gun-caused malfunction, I have come to trust the PCR implicitly. Myself, however, not so much. And I can't/won't trust that something horrible won't happen in a truly stressful, lizard brain encounter.

So, I am perusing the for sale board here, and will probably posting my PCR there as well. I'm not sure what I want, but do know that I'm not a fan of plastic guns. Unreasonable? Probably. What I would really like is a 1911, assuming that I can find one that I could trust/afford. For now, I submitted a lowball bid on Gunbroker on a Kimber Ultra Carry II, which has somehow held up for 3 days. Almost rooting to get outbid, soon!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Personally I wouldn't worry about a malfunction in a pistol that has not malfunctioned for me. But then again, I do so much to minimize my chances of getting in a gunfight in the first place.

If you are really that concerned, you might consider a revolver.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you could get past the plastic part the P07 has a larger, easier slide to grab and rack. It is a hell of a pistol too. Honestly every one of those kimbers that I've seen have been problematic, but that is only about 3 so non scientific but enough for me to stay away. I'm sure someone on here who has a p07 or p09 would let you check it out. It is one of the only pistols I truly regret letting go, that I haven't replaced. Another major advantage of a polymer frame pistol is the recoil absorbing properties as compared to their steel counterparts which will help you shoot longer as your arthritis worsens. With the 07, you get a nice compact doublestack, accurate, cajunizeable, and reliability that you just don't see in similarly priced 1911 style pistols, triple the cost and you get into good quality 1911 carry pistols. The P09 is still hammer fired with the ability to run safety or deckocker, lots of holster options... I could go on and on about them. It is my only suggestion when people ask about a hammer fired carry pistol. I would highly suggest giving one a try.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm right-handed and have moderate arthritis in the base of my left thumb. From time to time operating the slide of a pistol causes considerable discomfort. I have found it less painful to push the frame of the pistol with my right hand rather than pulling the slide with my left. Just a matter of what's moving and what's only holding. Give it a try. YMMV.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    It adds a step, which is not what you want to do in a stressful situation, but if you practice manually cocking the hammer first, the slide will be much easier to rack.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    1911 isnt gonna do anything the CZ didnt. And then you're gonna have less ammo and an inferior gun unless you wanna drop a couple grand. Probably even more slick of a slide too
    Pick up a glock. You can add devices on the back to help with the grip. They replace your backplate

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    If you are having trouble racking a CZ I am not convinced switching to a 1911 will solve that problem. A 1911 slide not only ejects a shell, but it also cocks a hammer. I have handled a lot of 1911 over the years, some are easy to rack and others not so much.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think he is having problems with having to grip the little slide sitting inside the frame. That is vastly different than grabbing the slide on the 1911 that goes over the frame. I would point out the recoil spring on the 3.5" slide is going to be stouter than the full size.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks, guys. Everything that you've said makes sense. I saw that Ultra Carry II on Gunbroker, and, well, it looked so pretty, I couldn't resist asking it out I mean putting a bid on it. I thought that $550 was sure to get overbid, but with 2 days left, I'm beginning to wonder.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Even after a thousand rounds, my Les Baer 1911 is a bear to rack. It definitely has the hardest slide to rack of all my semiauto pistols; Kahr PM9, Sig 226, XD(m), Shield, and M&P Compact 2.0,

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Before I bother, do you really just want to justify a 1911?
    Believe it or not, no. I have grown to be very comfortable carrying the PCR with the hammer decocked, and am actually used to that 1st DA pull. But I'd be lying if I claimed to not be enamored of the 1911.

But yeah, it's the design of the slide within the frame, not leaving a large enough (for me) area to grip.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    What is your objection to polymer frame pistols?
    I really can't say. Other than the only one's that I've shot so far have been one of a certain brand. And yeah, pretty is as pretty does, but I couldn't bring myself to buy those butt-ugly Ping irons back in the day, either. But now that I've been turned onto the CZ P-series...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yeah, if the only poly frame pistol you've ever shot is a Block, I predict a change of heart if you take a P10c for a test drive. :)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I really can't say. Other than the only one's that I've shot so far have been one of a certain brand. And yeah, pretty is as pretty does, but I couldn't bring myself to buy those butt-ugly Ping irons back in the day, either. But now that I've been turned onto the CZ P-series...

That P07 will win your heart, you'll be so blinded by the smooth silky operation that you'll even flaunt her around all your shiny gun friends. That deep almost purple blued metal slide sitting on top of that ergonomic and chunky in all the right places frame, just screams for you to grab on and work that double action just to feel that hammer break. You know she'll do things those skinny shiny pistols won't, she's not afraid to get dirty and doesn't need wiped off after a long sweaty session riding in your waistband....

Last edited:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, if the only poly frame pistol you've ever shot is a Block, I predict a change of heart if you take a P10c for a test drive. :)
    I don't suppose that any of my CZ75 mags would fit, huh?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Has anything been done to address the problem that a small minority of us have in grasping the slide to rack the gun?

Top Bottom