Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If you haven't already taken care of it, consider setting your son up with power of attorney, medical POA, etc.
    Hopefully none of it will be needed for decades but it sure is nice to have it if it is needed.
    After seeing how well the appropriate estate planning worked out for my parents, my sister and myself, I took care of it all and have both my daughters legally set up to step in if needed.
    Congrats on retirement. I have no doubts that you will enjoy it.
    1. Well, with my daughter being a lawyer and one of my best and longest friends on Earth being an estate/financial planner (I actually don't even know his official title, since he's the owner): he did the Living Trust that has all that included.
    2. He was giving me a discount and charging $1500 to do it for me, and in the end he wouldn't take any money, explaining he had "bonus" points or something so it didn't cost him anything.
    I normally would never allow that, since it is his business and his living, but since I know his secret that he's a millionaire but you'd the never-know-it-kind, so I "allowed" him to be generous.
    3. I never even saw his generosity coming and had put off getting it done due to the usual $2500 fee it cost to set it up, and I was soooo smart, I was going to do it by myself. I researched it, and had figured out most of it.
    4. I am smarter now. Let the professionals do their thing.
    5. Now that that I'm "going public" at school, I'm a little numb about it.
    6. I just want to get the next 16 WEEKS over with.

User Info Menu

I told the Principal yesterday, and when we had a meeting after school she told the other teachers and we discussed my departure.
    I had time to put a pencil to the figures and b/c of the 2 mistakes I made figuring my "new" income (a loss of $700/month) in addition to the $940 loss that I was aware of in monthly income totals up to $1640 less in income per month: stunning and sobering.
    I was prepared to deal with the original loss of nearly $1000/month but the truth of the the real amount certainly takes the joy out of it.

I know I have been living "large" and would have to cut back to a "retirement" lifestyle, but this is going to be tough.
    I am determined though, and if I need to substitute teach some, or get a "whatever" part time job: so be it.
    It definitely is going to be interesting and in the context of "the hobby" will be a more severe/austere "trimming" than I had predicted.
    But, I don't work just to fund a hobby, so we will see what happens.
    I wanted to order some ammo last night, but since I haven't even received my last order, I didn't: the beginning of the new level of "trimming."

Having picked up a new gun last evening, it might be my last, and having received my upgraded Shadow 2 this past Sat., it will be the last of such lavish expenditures.
    If you think I was cheap during my time of plenty, you won't believe what this time next year will bring, even I can't wait to see how it transpires.
    Until then, I shall enjoy shooting the ammo I have stored, and shooting what I have, and making decisions on which guns I get to keep.

I don't need 9 semi-auto .22LRs, but is certainly is fun. I already made the decision to cut another revolver, since I don't need 2.
    The real difficulty is with the 9mms. I will always keep my .38 revolvers, but I could have to downsize my beloved Colt Cobra for more generic .38 revolver (like I have had in the past): time will tell how long I can hang onto what I have.

I am selling my Sig 365, so I could buy one with a safety, but I don't see that happening now.
    I can keep the Ruger LC9s for my one semi-auto CC, and of course, I would always keep my Ruger LCRx .38 revolver for CC: no compromise there.
    I can justify a couple of the larger 9mms for home protection and when I want a larger CC, when time and clothing allow.
    Off to work now!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doddg View Post
    If you think I was cheap during my time of plenty, you won't believe what this time next year will bring, even I can't wait to see how it transpires.
    Just going to say this, you probably spend more on shooting and firearms (and pursuing them) now than a considerable portion of the members on INGO (myself included I'm guessing).
    That's not a bad thing, nor is it an indication of anything but that it is a hobby that you put some resources towards, but while I consider you someone who watches what they spend on the hobby and individual items/expenditures, and focuses on that aspect of it quite a bit, I don't see you as being poor at least when it comes to resources put toward firearms, etc.

Again, it's just where folks spend their available resources, etc as well as where they are in life (some eat out more, some spend more on hobbies, some save more, some spend it more on required items, kids, etc), and that's up to the individual, but the "poor" discussion has about run its course.

I understand you are processing, and that a drastic reduction in income is forthcoming, all good topics, and I know that part of you being able to shoot as much as you do and purchase the firearms you do is a function of trying to maximize the money you do have to put toward it (many of us do those things -- just being fiscally smart to some extent), but the poorness you mention is not reality.

This statement is probably coming off bad from me, and I myself can focus on costs, etc quite a bit (we all have what we value and how much we think things are worth, etc), but the poor routine just gets a bit old. I can't/won't (you pick which) run with some of the big boys here in terms of firearms expenditures (single gun or likely overall collection, etc), but I'm sure I spend money on other things they don't.
    We all make choices (for some of us our wives make alot of those choices, which is in itself a choice).
    Last edited by WebSnyper; 02-13-2019 at 09:11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein
    I am trying to turn every thread I involve myself in into a **** show.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WebSnyper View Post
    Just going to say this, you probably spend more on shooting and firearms (and pursuing them) now than a considerable portion of the members on INGO (myself included I'm guessing).

1. It has been a wonderful format for "vacationing" for me.
    2. I get like to get consumed with something and enjoy it, but in the past didn't have the time to pursue hobbies (working 2 jobs) or the resources in the earlier days.
    3. It has been so much fun!
    4. My wife has realized that the guns are not the expensive part (they can be and are sold) but the ammo is the main source of real loss that cannot be recouped.
    5. The wife and I had a conversation just today about if I knew how much I spent on ammo (the real cost of the hobby)
    6. I have a 4 phase gun reduction plan in place as of today.
    a. Phase One: now, selling a couple of guns (one not even listed yet).
    b. Phase Two: selling some .22LR pistols this summer
    c. Phase Three: selling a couple of my favorite 9mms (difficult) at end of year/beginning of next year.
    d. Phase Four: selling more .22LRs (ouch) that would be the summer of 2020.

7. Hopefully Phase 3 & 4 will not have to happen as scheduled, but my substituting/working that will delay the time schedule.

That's not a bad thing, nor is it an indication of anything but that it is a hobby that you put some resources towards, but while I consider you someone who watches what they spend on the hobby and individual items/expenditures, and focuses on that aspect of it quite a bit, I don't see you as being poor at least when it comes to resources put toward firearms, etc.

8. I do watch and I track, but I've not had to be disciplined b/c of the good money flow.
    9. That will change, and the "fun" of running 2-300 rounds through at the range twice per week will come to an end.
    10. I will shoot less rounds while at the range (already started doing that), and will shoot more .22LR than 9mm, which I haven't hardly shot any .22LR b/c I've been buying/selling 9mm.
    11. For example: depending on the range results and practical carry applications, I will keep or sell either the CZ P-10 or the Bersa PTR9cm since I want a larger CC gun option available to me.
    12. It will kill me when the time comes to make a decision between the CZ Shadow 2 (freshly upgraged) and the good-shooting Bersa Thunder Pro XT competition gun.
    Not b/c I don't want to keep the Shadow 2, but it cost 3 times what I have in the Bersa XT. Hopefully, I will indulge, and/or hopefully, that "crunch" is in the future.

Again, it's just where folks spend their available resources, etc as well as where they are in life (some eat out more, some spend more on hobbies, some save more, some spend it more on required items, kids, etc), and that's up to the individual, but the "poor" discussion has about run its course.

13. Understood: it is resource application, and since I'm married and she doesn't share my hobby, the hobby will have to have a less priority if $$ is not there for both.
    14. I use the word "poor," really more as a comparison of lifestyle, not literally poor. My dry humor is coming into play and that doesn't do well in print. If you had met me you'd get it, ha!

I understand you are processing, and that a drastic reduction in income is forthcoming, all good topics, and I know that part of you being able to shoot as much as you do and purchase the firearms you do is a function of trying to maximize the money you do have to put toward it (many of us do those things -- just being fiscally smart to some extent), but the poorness you mention is not reality.

15. The reality that I have always known is coming is that I can't spend $1000/month on my hobby. Whether it is dialed back to $100/month or $200/month remains to be seen. I was just talking to a retired friend Sunday about how he handled his retirement. He spent alot of money on his fishing competitions: boats, equipment and etc. He stopped it all and sold most everything and only does a little now and is happy with that.
    16. One of the reasons I hit it so hard with buy/sell/shoot this past 2 yrs. is b/c I knew time was limited: I just didn't know now limited since I only decided I'd retire last Fall.

This statement is probably coming off bad from me, and I myself can focus on costs, etc quite a bit (we all have what we value and how much we think things are worth, etc), but the poor routine just gets a bit old. I can't/won't (you pick which) run with some of the big boys here in terms of firearms expenditures (single gun or likely overall collection, etc), but I'm sure I spend money on other things they don't.
    We all make choices (for some of us our wives make alot of those choices, which is in itself a choice).
    17. Not at all, I really appreciate your comments: you are one of the top people I enjoy reading even if you slap me occasionally (I don't remember, actually, ha!).

User Info Menu

I have one suggestion and it is if you retire, don't take a job at a gun shop. You'll be like a kid in a candy store! Don't ask me how I know this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BE Mike View Post
    I have one suggestion and it is if you retire, don't take a job at a gun shop. You'll be like a kid in a candy store! Don't ask me how I know this!
    1. My wife would probably forbid for the obvious reasons.
    2. I would want to be on the floor or behind the counter selling, and I really don't have the experience to be hired in that context.
    3. I do realize that I have 2 yrs. worth of experience and the real sales guys probably have been around guns their whole life and have forgotten more than I know.

User Info Menu

2. I would want to be on the floor or behind the counter selling, and I really don't have the experience to be hired in that context.
    3. I do realize that I have 2 yrs. worth of experience and the real sales guys probably have been around guns their whole life and have forgotten more than I know.

You would be surprised. For many LGS you would be considered over qualified.
    I have always heard not to turn something you love into a job, but I think it would be cool in a part time retirement job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein
    I am trying to turn every thread I involve myself in into a **** show.

User Info Menu

Gun salesmen are equivalent to car salesmen. Some know their stuff, some donít. All statements should confirmed elsewhere.
    ď...I blame TurboĒ -Everyone

User Info Menu

Realizing I won't be paying as much taxes and can't fund a Roth will help my $1370 disparity between my income now and my retirement monthly income.
    I knew about both of these in concept but won't know its full impact on my money flow per month at first b/c I won't know if my "dependents" that I take will be accurate.
    But, I won't know about the taxes till August, and won't really know until I have a full year of retirement in 2020.
    This year I'll have 7 months of "regular" pay and only 5 months of retirement income, so it will not be full realized until the next year.

I am terribly excited about it all though!

User Info Menu

Another step toward Retirement today: applied for Social Security.

(already turned in my papers the Teacher's Pension in Febr.)

10 more weeks to go starting 2nd week in April.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast