• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I were talking about retirement Friday and she mentioned that I would have to give up my "hobby" if I retire now instead of keep working for another year or two.
    Income will be stable enough at first, but as anyone who has been through the "retirement counseling" seminars, it is what things cost 7-10 yrs. down the road that are crucial.
    Inflation has not been an issue for the past decade or more but it will come back like with a vengeance since everyone is living on borrowed money, especially on the Government level.
    I believe an economic "crash" is looming (I remember the last 3, but the next one is really going to level things off).
    As I tell my students: not just families go bankrupt from spending more than they bring in, but countries do also.

I've been keeping the old-style blue Dome budget books for 3 decades and know exactly what my expenses are.
    Some things have doubled in the past 20 yrs.: water and food to illustrate.

I told her I have already counted the costs and knew the realities, and wasn't going to keep working just to fund a hobby (I'm out of control, but not that much.:laugh:,) especially one that is less than 2 yrs. old and only indulged in when the house and cars were paid off and no kids (no debt at all).
    I just bought my wife a car and we'd intended to pay it off in 1.5 yrs. Not sure how not having a regular income will affect that since when I bought it I thought I was going to work 2-4 more years.

Buying a gun w/o selling what I have to pay for it (which I've been trying to do lately anyway) would be over, and I'd have to make some serious decisions about which guns to sell (not keeping two of the same kind of gun: Ruger Mark 4 and S/W 22A-1 or the same type/style of a gun: a dozen semi-auto .22LRs).
    The biggest deal is ammo costs, imo., since not buying another gun stops that expenditure but ammo is ongoing and ongoing and ongoing.
    When I go to the range, I usually put 200-300 rounds downrange. I couldn't go twice a week month after month at that rate when retired (9mm costs: $50/per session; $100/per week; $400/per month; $5200/per year). (.22LR costs would be $1733/yr.)
    I've even thought that if retired I would want to go more often! :ugh:

I have even thought I could shorten my range time and shoot 1/2 of the rounds (100-200 rounds) I do now .
    Since many of you have "been there and done that," I thought I'd get some feedback on how you managed after retirement and your money flow was restricted.
    Those of you still living on your spouse's dime during retirement b/c she is still working, need not reply. :rofl: I do envy you though! :laugh:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Reload. Buy the setup now while you still have steady income. Then you just need components which are significantly less expensive than ready to shoot ammo.

There is an up front cost, but if you shoot a lot like it seems you do, eventually you'll come out ahead.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Reload. Buy the setup now while you still have steady income. Then you just need components which are significantly less expensive than ready to shoot ammo.

There is an up front cost, but if you shoot a lot like it seems you do, eventually you'll come out ahead.
    I was gonna say this lol. But I'm not allowed to comment since I'm living off my wife I guess :rolleyes:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

This.

Also, consolidate calibers. Find powders & primers that can do multiple things. Learn to cast your own bullets, find molds that can do multiple things. The NOE molds are nice. Get together with someone and buy components in bulk.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy

Agreed. I load 4 rifle calibers and 9mm. If I didn't reload the rifle ammo, we couldn't afford to do our prairie dog trips. The wife joined The Well Armed Woman and she burns 9mm almost as fast as I can reload it. She always brings home more brass than she shoots, though. I guess I've got around 5K pieces of it waiting to be loaded. Once you amortize the upfront cost, you're ahead of the curve. And, reloading gives me something to do in my spare and leisure moments. I NEVER buy rimfire ammo locally. You can order it online, by the brick, and it will be cheaper even with shipping charges.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    It seems you are going to get a big pile-on suggesting reloading, as that is my recommendation as well. A good setup can be had for about the same cost as one decent handgun. After that, your shooting costs are about half. If you also started casting bullets it goes way down from there. An excellent side benefit is that reolading is a hobby in itself and does take time... and so you are able to stay involved with shooting hobbies without always shooting. You may find you can get your fill by shooting 3x every 2 weeks, and then 1 afternoon reloading.

Secondly, primers and powder don't take up much space. You could stack in a 2 to 3 year supply of primers in a banker's box. Close to that with powder. Stock those in now while working and you can shoot for years w/o worrying about shooting costs. Stocking up on bullets is somewhat more problematic... a 10 year supply with your numbers would weigh about 7000 lbs. Not something I want to have to shuffle around!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I was gonna say this lol. But I'm not allowed to comment since I'm living off my wife I guess :rolleyes:

Live long enough to live off dead relatives like I'm doing.
    Ok, I'm retired as well and I took a long look at my retirement budget and Yes, I did up my income with some part time work for my hobbies and/or bad habits.
    I no longer have thoughts of not being able to live in my own form of comfort and happy.
    You probably worked most of your life to enjoy what you like I'm guessing so I'm thinking you'll probably be content on a new endeavor in your life. You have a wife to consider her thoughts as well and I'd look for a way to support your hobby. I'm not being cynical but it sounds as she doesn't look ahead far enough to help you enjoy parts of your life. Maybe you and her can find a way to continue your little gun happy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK fellas. Lets look at this. I am about his age. I looked at reloading several times. The initial coasts involved for a decent progressive set up is a bit off putting. Add in all the needed accessory's to make this process as easy as possible (lights/tables/shelve/bits pieces and so on) and the initial investment will never be fully re-couped in the very small savings some people see in 9mm/45ACP. Add in the learning curve and the time required and it just does not add up for folks our age.

This can be argued I am sure. And might be but the numbers are right there. For me the time factor weighs in heavily. For some this might be a great way to enter retirement.

I started filling the ammo cabinets just before sandy hook. There were a few set backs due to the media driven frenzy's we have had but I now have enough locked down to keep me rolling for a long long time. There are deals if you watch and are ready. The expense has been spread out over several years.

Just my opinion.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I actualy agree with you CM as it applies to now. Because ammo is so cheap once again that I believe to shoot the same quality of ammo that I enjoy, retail cost vs reloading cost, it would cost me more to reload. So I HIGHLY recomend to Doddg (and have before) that instead of buying new guns that he will most likely sell anyways or trade for other ones, that he buy up cases of 9mm ammo now. Instead of buying another $500 to 900 pistol buy ammo. Yeah it's not as cool but WHEN ammo prices go back up (inflation if you will just like food and other COL) you will have bought low and saved money in the long run.
    Now if you do not listen to this good advice and stock up on ammo, then yes buy reloading equipment and start saving your brass and putting away a jug of powder every couple of months maybe. That way for the long run you will have ammo.
    I have reloading equipment because I believe eventualy you wont be able to buy ammo. But I also am stocked up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I actualy agree with you CM as it applies to now. Because ammo is so cheap once again that I believe to shoot the same quality of ammo that I enjoy, retail cost vs reloading cost, it would cost me more to reload. So I HIGHLY recomend to Doddg (and have before) that instead of buying new guns that he will most likely sell anyways or trade for other ones, that he buy up cases of 9mm ammo now. Instead of buying another $500 to 900 pistol buy ammo. Yeah it's not as cool but WHEN ammo prices go back up (inflation if you will just like food and other COL) you will have bought low and saved money in the long run.
    Now if you do not listen to this good advice and stock up on ammo, then yes buy reloading equipment and start saving your brass and putting away a jug of powder every couple of months maybe. That way for the long run you will have ammo.
    I have reloading equipment because I believe eventualy you wont be able to buy ammo. But I also am stocked up.

Bingo.

If I were at my current knowledge level of the sport/hobby/passion I am at now and in say my 50's this might be a serious consideration.
    At 68 it is not.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Some cartridges are at the edge of reloading economics like 9mm, others like 44 mag, aren't. It's really just a matter of what you want to shoot so if you like 9mm and 22lr and keep your guns in that area, reloading probably isn't a good option to save money. The 45 ACP is one of those where the size of the bullet and it's ease of casting make the economics work for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some cartridges are at the edge of reloading economics like 9mm, others like 44 mag, aren't. It's really just a matter of what you want to shoot so if you like 9mm and 22lr and keep your guns in that area, reloading probably isn't a good option to save money. The 45 ACP is one of those where the size of the bullet and it's ease of casting make the economics work for me.

And again....you are already set up to cast. Another expense.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The initial coasts involved for a decent progressive set up is a bit off putting. Add in all the needed accessory's to make this process as easy as possible (lights/tables/shelve/bits pieces and so on) and the initial investment will never be fully re-couped in the very small savings some people see in 9mm/45ACP. Add in the learning curve and the time required and it just does not add up for folks our age.

This can be argued I am sure.

I'm going to argue it. :P

First, don't buy a progressive. Buy a turret. Especially if you're in the situation where you have more free time than free money, buy turret. Shoot less than 1k rounds a month? But a turret. Just learning how to reload? Buy a turret. Want to make caliber swaps easy? Buy a turret. Progressives make more sense for high volume shooters dedicated to one load.

You can get a Lee turret and dies and easily have everything you need to start for under $300.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/6...Metallic+Reloading+Presses&utm_content=622290

then add a digital scale if you don't want to mess with the balance beam scale: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...50-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity

Dies. Calipers. A bullet puller for mistakes. You're set.

I can load 230 gr .45 Auto for roughly 16 cents a round. Somewhere between 2500-3000 rounds loaded, I just paid for the above reloading kit and accessories.

Loading pistol rounds is not hard. Can you can follow a cake mix recipe and end up with cake? Do you know which end of the screw driver goes in your hand and which touches the screw? Can you read calipers? Can you pull a lever? Then you can reload.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a ways to go, but I have been buying more than I use normally to stock up and will continue to do so until I retire.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very true. Casting's biggest issue is scaring up scrap lead these days and the time required to make it usable.

And your statement is another "Huge" reason I do not reload.........time. And the space required.

Yeah I get the turret. But again, age/time factor. I have many friends that sit at the bench for hours doing this. If I am at my bench for hours it is to build something very cool. Or modify something until it is very cool. Or fix something that is very broken. The mundane repetition of lever pulling (at least for m anyway) has no draw.

If you like this process then have at it.I respect the effort folks put into it. It is just not for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very true. Casting's biggest issue is scaring up scrap lead these days and the time required to make it usable.

I remember a time when you could scare up about anything you needed. These days there are so many douche bag scrapers roaming the earth. Nothing of any value sits very long.

Top Bottom