• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Hello everyone! I came across this Springfield 1903 that’s been sporterized. I’ve always wanted on I’m my collection and I’ve never taken one and I’ve never taken one and turned it back into or close to its original form. But I can get it for $250. Good deal or no? Please if anyone has any input please let me know.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hello everyone! I came across this Springfield 1903 that’s been sporterized. I’ve always wanted on I’m my collection and I’ve never taken one and I’ve never taken one and turned it back into or close to its original form. But I can get it for $250. Good deal or no? Please if anyone has any input please let me know.

Numrich has stock sets. For the stock and handguard you'd be looking at about 200 bucks. $450 for a 1903 wouldn't be bad. Are the original sights still present? If not, that would add to the cost and you might start creeping up to what an original rifle would cost. As a sporter, I think that's a great deal as it is.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    If you want to restore this rifle to military shape, you will have to buy a new bolt body as well.
    The handle has been modified beyond what hill work in an original stock.
    It's a nice sporter, and not economically feasible to alter it.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    If it’s not worth to restore. As is is it a good deal? Honestly I don’t need anything ATM but if it’s a deal I’m all about good deals. I just know the ins and outs of the 1903 to determine if it’s a good deal.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    If you want to restore this rifle to military shape, you will have to buy a new bolt body as well.
    The handle has been modified beyond what hill work in an original stock.
    It's a nice sporter, and not economically feasible to alter it.
    What Mike says, plus looks like an aftermarket trigger guard. Also check the rear tang, it looks re profiled. Check the serial number to see if it's in the "safe" range. If it's not a low number would be a fair deal at $250. BTW, sight bases are probably Weaver. (that only means a Redfield Jr. mount won't be a direct replacement.)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    That rifle is worth $250 as a sporterized rifle. But it will never be reverted to it's oringinal GI configuration. Look at the replacement bolt handle.

Depending on who sporterized it, the rifle could have historical value by the name on the barrel.

BTW, low numbers are not an automatic alarm bells for this rifle. No matter the current internet 'wisdom". I I love the pre WWI 1903's that the owners think are unshootable and worthless. All those thousands of rifles built before the wartime frenzy of increased production.

My favorite 1903 was built in 1907, served in WWI, WWII and beyond. Low number, below 100,000, but they knew how to heat treat in 1907.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My favorite 1903 was built in 1907, served in WWI, WWII and beyond. Low number, below 100,000, but they knew how to heat treat in 1907.[/QUOTE]

Does it have a Hatcher hole?

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Hey that looks kind of familiar! This was my Grandfather's Sporter that he bought in the 70s to go on a bear hunting trip in Nova Scotia that he never got to go on. I could definitely buy a better shooter but it wouldn't have the same sentimental value to me.

Serial# 850920

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I still have my '03 mark I in full battle dress. It was reworked by the USMC in '42 with a hatcher hole added, new barrel and different stock. It was never Parkerized and still in blue. The mag shut off isn't correct to accept the Pedersen device but it is just as the Corps had left it and so will I. All the changes tells a story, a better one than "I sat in a warehouse all my life"...

Top Bottom