I have made some epic fails concerning my firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl Fairburne

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2018
    Loveland
    Case in point. I bought a 1903 Springfield rifle for $39 in 1984. I really liked it but, about that time everyone was going Black Rifle crazy. So, stupid me, I sold my 1903 for $35. I then bought a black rifle and realized what a shmuck I was to sell my Springfield. Maybe some day I will buy another '03 but, I don't hunt anymore so if I do get another 03 it will be a range gun. Any one else ever make a poor choice when selling a relic?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I feel bad for you that you've spent the last 34 years pinning over a rifle.

If you miss it that bad,. I feel like you've had plenty of time to replace it.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Yes, I have made several poor decisions. I view it as the inevitable outcome of the fun of buying and selling.

Two examples that come to mind:

I had an M1 Garand that I bought from the CMP many years ago. It was 1954 production, did not appear to have ever been shot, and also appeared to still be completely original as it left the factory. It would be one they would auction off today, as it was essentially a still new rifle, but it was just the normal luck of the draw back when I got it.

The other is a Broomhandle Mauser that a guy was walking around at a gun show. I wasn't interesting in old handguns back then and bought it just to flip because I knew that what he was asking was way too low. Guess what I am interested in collecting now?

I have also had some really nice guns that I sold to raise funds to adopt my son a number of years ago, and again to take a trip to Europe last year, but I don't think those count as poor decisions.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Nothing major for me, but I missed it enough to replace it.
    I had a Savage model 24 O/U in .22lr/.410 bore.

I ran into hard times and needed cash so I sold it.
    I missed it immediately.
    It took me about 3 years to find a like example, but when I did, it came home with me.

Not sure why I like this little two-shooter as much as I do, but I do know I'll not be selling this one.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This is why I have generally avoided selling any guns. No regrets that way. I sold a couple because when I shot them I immediately thought, don’t like it. But even with them I occasionally think, I should have held on to that.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    My name is Dave and I am a sucker for distressed 1903 and 1903a3 Springfields. Some of them will never be what they once were. But, does that stop me? ..............I'm currently on a self imposed moratorium.

Biggest disappointment: Volunteer Arms Commando. A 45 ACP Thompson wanna be. It was dreadful. However, the Colt Series 70 Government Model I traded it for is outstanding.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Not so much with guns for me. I must keep a large supply of other ones to displace my sorrow. It is more the "one's who got away" that haunt me...

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Son and I collect firearms - I have rarely sold or traded any! I could count the ones I have sold / traded in over 50 years on one hand. However I do have regrets.. When the SKS's were selling for under $100, son and I bought several, usually one at every Gun show. Same with the Mosin-Nagant's, Had I known what I now know I would have bought 4 times as many of each!

I can't say I have regretted purchasing any firearm I own! Son and I have over 100, none have lost any value and in most cases, the "cheap" firearms like those above have increased the most percentage in value.

I do have a few relatively "expensive" firearms that have done very well like the "Colt snake gun's" and an SVD-40 I purchased just after they started importing them. A month or two later they were banned from import. Mine went from about $360 to over $1200 in value in a few months!

Sure would be nice to have a Crystal ball, wouldn't it!

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Did she leave the ice cube trays? [video=youtube;AKMSYuzDp5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMSYuzDp5E[/video] Lets see if this works.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ...Heck she even took the safes.
    I left mine the one with the fixed combination and easiest to break into.

If I were to ponder it, suspect a few guns could be identified that should not have been sold. Currently have more than are shot anyways and as ya can't get there from here, no sense in dwelling on it.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    My ex cleaned me out when we got divorced...2 older 16 gauge semiauto shotguns, a Bersa 380, Gen 2 Glock 22 and a lower end 357 wheel gun...I didnt HAVE to sell it all but I HAD to pay my attorney. In the end, I wish I still had my shotguns cause they had gorgeous wood engravings and my attorney was horrible lol

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    You just couldn't spend $10 dollars for a box of factory ammo from time to time?
    Wow, I bet you do regret that.

Yep, that's why I included it in here. I was around 22. Didn't make the connection that I needed more powerful ammo. 9mm didn't have much in the line of carry ammo then either (being nearly 30 years ago). I always wanted one, so I got it. Paid out the rear for an extra mag as well (M13).

Year or so after I got rid of it a buddy and I started toying around with reloading. That was probably when the lightbulb turned on. I stopped buying other people's reloads... for a while at least.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Case in point. I bought a 1903 Springfield rifle for $39 in 1984. I really liked it but, about that time everyone was going Black Rifle crazy. So, stupid me, I sold my 1903 for $35. I then bought a black rifle and realized what a shmuck I was to sell my Springfield. Maybe some day I will buy another '03 but, I don't hunt anymore so if I do get another 03 it will be a range gun. Any one else ever make a poor choice when selling a relic?

Much like you. My poor choice was selling a PRISTINE and VERY correct WWII Winchester M-1 carbine that I had in the late 80's. Why I sold it...for the life of me I do not remember what other gun I thought I just HAD to have? Being young and dumb and having a wife and two small children to feed at the time is my only excuse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Much like you. My poor choice was selling a PRISTINE and VERY correct WWII Winchester M-1 carbine that I had in the late 80's. Why I sold it...for the life of me I do not remember what other gun I thought I just HAD to have? Being young and dumb and having a wife and two small children to feed at the time is my only excuse.

Sometimes it is family 1st.

Top Bottom