I wish I liked shooting Black Powder... but I don't.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl Fairburne

Shooter
    Sep 21, 2018
    Loveland
    I tried it a few times but, I just didn't enjoy it. Too messy for one thing, and when I go shooting I want to shoot. I don't want to fiddle around with the powder, and patches etc. However, I enjoy watching those who shoot black powder, but it just didn't get into it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I tried it a few times but, I just didn't enjoy it. Too messy for one thing, and when I go shooting I want to shoot. I don't want to fiddle around with the powder, and patches etc. However, I enjoy watching those who shoot black powder, but it just didn't get into it.
    Next to the last deer I killed was with a load that was charged the year before.

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If I remember correctly I have 5 black powder rifles. Only one was bought new and the others used from gun shops. All 4 used guns we found to be loaded when I got them home...

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Jan 14, 2010
    Howdy K.F., Welcome to INGO!

I reload BP in .45 Colt and .44-40 cartridges. It's as easy as reloading with smokeless. I love to shoot as well, and typically shoot > 100 rounds per day of each. And cleanup is just as easy, hot water is all you need - you just HAVE to do it after shooting.

I've also been known to reload .45 ACP with BP. NOTHING gets more attention than firing off a mag full of BP through my 1911!

Good shootin'

Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Anybody here ancient enough to remember the Replica Arms Company?

I have two of their offerings. The first gun I ever bought on my own was their Berdan rifle. I was thirteen. I also have their 1861 Navy Model cased with accessories.

Yeah, shooting them is a mess but it's worth it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I definitely don't care for getting the gunk all over my hands, clothes, and anything else I come in contact with.

Restroyer

Expert
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I love to shoot black powder / muzzle loaders. My sons shoot them at the 4H and we deer hunt with muzzle loaders. It's not for everyone (especially city boys who can only shoot at indoor ranges) but I would suggest everyone try it at least once. You might like it.

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My g-g-grandfather was a heck of a shot. He got one of those new fangeled percussion cap rifles after the family flintlock burned in a house fire. He wouldn't waste lead on a squirrel. He would whittle a hickory stick down to the correct size, point the end and then cut it off to make a projectile, use a light powder load and push the hickory plug 6-8 inches down the barrel. He wasn't known to miss, but they weren't head shots as the whole family back then loved to eat the brains. Now I will enjoy a fuzzy tailed tree rat with biscuits and gravy but I draw the line at sucking out the 'ol brain housing group...

ru44mag

Master
    Feb 6, 2013
    The clean up is a pain, but I still enjoy the smoke sometimes. I still have an 1860 Colt replica, and the old smoke pole has put deer in the freezer many years. Even took an elk in 1999. TC New Englander.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't shoot much BP, mostly cartridges like 44-40 in revolvers too old for smokeless.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My ex used to get upset with me after I shot BP. I took my guns and put them in the bathtub in scalding hot soapy water for about 15 minutes. They cleaned easy and wiped dry fast. Then to the oven for a good warming up to finish drying. Oil warm and reassemble.
    My go to bp rifle is a cheap old Navy Arms I got from Bradis around '89 IIRC. It shoots so good I see no reason to upgrade to "newer and better" stuff.

Sniper 79

Master
    Oct 7, 2012
    I hated it too! Way to much work and talk about filthy! Can't even see if you hit the target until all the lead smoke clears.

My uncle gave me a revolver and a rifle. I ended up sawing the barrels off them and into the trash-ola they went. Never again!

Notropis

Plinker
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    I've been reloading for many years now and enjoy it. I've never shot BP, but now want a rifle for both using and for display. Looking at the kits but think I may hold out for a good looking used rifle. The offerings at gun shows didn't exactly impress me.

Top Bottom