• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    What is the one gun that you managed to let slip through your fingers that you regret the most?

I used to work with an older guy when I was in my mid 20s that was looking to sell a pistol of his. He asked me if I was interested so I told him to bring it in. It was a 1911 with a good amount of patina on it but overall was in great shape. I thought about it and decided to pass even though he was only asking $400 for it.

One of the managers was standing there waiting for me to make my decision. The second I said no thank you he jumped. He told him to go to his office and wait for him. He was leaving right then to run down the street to the ATM.

Once the deal was done he came back laughing and said "do you realize what you just passed up on?" I admitted I only knew that it was an old 1911.

He had already ran the serial number and it was a low serial # WWI GI issued 1911. The estimated value at the time was $1200 :(

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Probably close to 15 years ago I bought a Beretta 92FS sight unseen for $300 from an internet ad. It turned out to be an unfired all-stainless, all metal, made in Italy model with walnut grips in presentation box. It was a super nice, super cool gun. I kept it about a year and never shot it, then I ran across a WTB ad on what I think was ARFCOM, looking for that exact gun. I sold it for more than double what I had in it. Looking back, I wish I still had that pistol....

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Colt 22lr pistol I bought new in 97 or so. Sweet little stainless pistol that ran any ammo I threw at it.
    My ex got it in our divorce settlement

:cheers:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Luger! Several years ago I was in a gun shop on the south side of Indy, which is now closed. An elderly gentleman came in wanting to sell 3-4 handguns. The employee (maybe owner) told him they had just bought several guns and couldn't buy anymore. After listening to the conversation between the gentleman and the employee, I'm sure I could have bought his WWII bring-back Luger for $300. I didn't have the money on hand and would have felt guilty for doing it anyway. They turned him over to a guy who said he would sell it on gunbroker for him. Don't know what finally came of that but I have thought about it many times.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Many years ago I passed up the chance to buy a M1 carbine made by GM in 1943 for $80.00. It's the only one that got away that I still think about. I was young and dumb and $80 was a lot of money in 1978.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I was trying to sell a gun here on INGO and a guy offered me a Ruger Model 44 Deerstalker Carbine in trade. I passed at first. Then thought about it and sent him a PM but he had already parted with it.

Wish I had taken him up on that offer.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I don't regret not buying anything I could afford that I wanted. I don't consider those things I couldn't afford to be in play anyway. :twocents:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    The ONE'S that got away for me... Back in the early to mid 80's I was a young buck newly married E-3 in the Army stationed at Fort Carson Colorado in Colorado Springs. In the Springs (that's what we called downtown). There was a sporting goods store called DAVE COOKS sporting goods. Well they had two LOOOONNNNGGGG shelves/racks in the store. One side of the isle was full of M1 Garands in cosmoline and the other side of the isle was full of M1 Carbines in cosmoline. Your choice $99.00 all day long. I remember looking at them thinking "who would want to spend crazy money like that on those greasy, nasty old things?".Looking back now... STUPID, STUPID, STUPID ME.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Well over forty years ago now I was in one of my favorite haunts, the E.Christopher Firearms gunshop in Miamitown, Ohio. He had a cased pair of Colt Single Actions. Both had 7.5" barrels. One was nickel plated in .44/40. The other was blue and a .45. I was treading on my own tongue. If memory serves the price tag was $750. I was just a cub and that was too big of a percentage of my poke.

I don't think I have to say anything else.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I was standing in line at the Indy 1500 when an older gentleman passed by carrying an M1 Garand rifle and a M1911 pistol. I could see that the rifle still had the WWII lock-bar rear sight. He appeared to be the right age to be a WWII vet. I thought about it for a few minutes, realized he had walked past me to get in line, and probably intended to sell them. I went looking for him further back in line and found him, but somebody else had already snagged the guns. They were genuine WWII bring-backs that sold for a fraction of what they were worth.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I knew a guy getting out of the gun business that had 4 old revolvers from the 1800's. He shot me a job lot price for them all sight unseen, and i baulked just long enough for another guy to say yes. It turns out that one was an old Smith top break (no big deal) but the other 3 were all marked "Made for the Smith & Wesson Company By...". They were a collection of guns that Smith had sued other manufacturers for violating the White patent for a rear loading cylinder! And these we not plain jane off the assembly line ones, but real hand engraved jewels. Of the <1500 turned over to Smith in the mid 1800's here were 3 together in the same room 3 years ago. I could have all 4 for $500. I need a beer just thinking about it...

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    I knew a guy getting out of the gun business that had 4 old revolvers from the 1800's. He shot me a job lot price for them all sight unseen, and i baulked just long enough for another guy to say yes. It turns out that one was an old Smith top break (no big deal) but the other 3 were all marked "Made for the Smith & Wesson Company By...". They were a collection of guns that Smith had sued other manufacturers for violating the White patent for a rear loading cylinder! And these we not plain jane off the assembly line ones, but real hand engraved jewels. Of the <1500 turned over to Smith in the mid 1800's here were 3 together in the same room 3 years ago. I could have all 4 for $500. I need a beer just thinking about it...

We might have a winner. I want a beer just reading this...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

That is sad my friend.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mine, a pre 1964 Winchester 30/30 I get ill every time I think bout it. excuse me while I go throw up.

Something very similar. Friends father had an old Winchester lever action. I do not remember all the particulars but it was a 30-30 that I had shot and fell in love with. He did not want much for it but I was strapped at that moment and a friend jumped on it. He still has it. I have tried multiple times to buy/trade him out of it. He said I can have it when he dies. He is younger than me dang it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    For me is was a Colt NM Gold Cup and a High Standard Victor. Bought both new in the '70s. Traded the Victor for a pistol I ended up not liking and sold the Gold Cup in the '80s during a period when I hadn't been shooting for several years. I had no idea how much the Gold Cups had gone up in price and sold it for half of what it was worth thinking I had done well getting more than I originally bought it for.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    1997, I had retired from the Army in 1996, so to complete my Bachelors degree, I was working and attending IUPUI, I got that degree in Criminal Justice from IU, (BS in CJ), but a kid I sat with in class kept asking me about guns, and since I was a Glock fanatic, I told him they were the best thing next to P----y, and sliced bread.
    One day he comes in and says his buddy was selling a Gen 2 Glock-17 with five hi cap pre-ban mags, for $250 and was that a good idea.
    I said hell yes, where is he?

Oh he just left says the kid, and since you talk so much about Glocks I told him you would buy it from him....................
    OK where is he?
    Well he just left, and since you said they were so "great", I bought the Glock from him !!!!

DOH!

:ugh:

Top Bottom