• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl Fairburne

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2018
    Loveland
    Either way you pronounce them, they are still my favorite firearms. Perhaps it's because I have tons of 9mm and 45 long Colt. Some of my firearms are made by Uberti. That one is a Revolving Carbine in 45 LC. Except for my Coach Gun, and my Glock 26. I bought two SIG P320's Full size, and they are safe queens, for now. I also have a Little Badger in .22, a survival rifle. Finally, my Marlin Camp 9. I love it. In fact, It's my favorite. Whoops, I forgot my 45 Long Colt Revolver. :)

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    I say carbean and my favorite is this Ruger PC9 police carbine and my Camp 45 is a close second. This IMI timberwolf .357 pump carbean is one you don't see every day. I bought all the items in the 3rd picture at a Seymour gunshow for $900 about 10 years ago.

DSC03243_zps7y3sut9g.jpg

BILD0818_zps9d35c3eu.jpg

DSC01744_zps6dbv2nmi.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Both pronunciations are correct with the "bean" variation being the most common (unless you're in the UK).

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You're all pronouncing it incorrectly:

RY-FULL.

That should fix several problems here.

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    The fact that you have to spell it "carbeen" to explain that you're pronouncing it with an "E" should tell you that it's pronounced with an "I".
    The way i was taught the english language is that the "e" at the end of carbine means the word is pronounced with a "hard I" sound.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    From what I understand about word evolution, it was once bean that evolved in bine due to the spelling. Carbine was pronounced carbean, then people started spelling it the way it sounded. It comes from a French mounted soldier title or something like that. I've looked this up before.

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    It's car bIne and here's how I know. I watched "Escape From Ft Bravo" yesterday and Campbell (William Demarest) was handed a SAA during an indian attack. He said "I'm ok with a pistol but I'm a dead shot with a carb eye ne" He then knocked an indian off his horse at a half mile with an old Spencer or Sharps (couldn't tell for sure) and said "see what I mean" :cool:

I'm still gonna call em carbean because I'm old and that's the way I do it. :oldwise:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would say "carbine."

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I believe words have meaning. When we alter the meaning of words communication breaks down.

As words have meaning so does the pronunciation and enunciation of a word in a sentence. Over time a word can change in pronunciation or definition, it should be avoided so as to avoid miscommunication.

This is why there is a slight difference between a rifle and a carbine. A rifle was generally used by infantry troops who needed to reach out and touch someone, whereas the carbine was meant to be used by cavalry who still needed firepower but would close the distance on horseback.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom