• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sngehl01

Plinker
    Sep 21, 2018
    Elizabeth
    Hey guys. Looking to eventually hunt suppressed. Haven't ponied up to the big leagues in terms of paying the tax stamp or getting a suppressor (one day)...

Anyway, ran across some linear muzzle brakes. I know these are in no way, shape, or form a suppressor. However, they do appear to quit the perceptive sound due to directing gas in front of the shooter.

Does anyone have any experience with one, especially on something like a .22 standard velocity or even subsonic?

Thanks guys.

JJFII

Marksman
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    [STRIKE]There is a thread here that says its illegal to take any game with a suppressed firearm in Indiana. Am I wrong on that?[/STRIKE]

I googled it... My bad..sorry Its legal. https://www.dickclarklaw.com/news/indianasilencerhuntingbillsignedintolaw

On to your question. The linears I used were on 5.56 Ar15s and when we used conversion bolts and ran .22lr the noise was a just a bit sharp, but not as sharp without. Thick wool watch cap softened the noise as well. So its do-able for hunting, while I wouldnt recommend it for a range day blasting away for hours. A couple shoots an hour is fine if your ears are covered with a cap or just light foam plugs.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I believe that suppressor hunting is legal now. Someone will be along to confirm that soon, thanks. :ingo:

I have a couple linear comps. Never tried them without earpro.

Ggreen

Person
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Is this for squirrel hunting? I honestly don't think they made a perceivable difference to my ear on my 223, I thought they were mainly to keep from giving the guy in the stall next to you a nosebleed by directing pressure forward rather than porting back into their face. The best way to tame the crack of a 22lr without a can is a nice 20" heavy barrel and standard/sub velocity. the linears may do something different with a 22lr compared to 223, but I doubt it.

JJFII

Marksman
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Is this for squirrel hunting? I honestly don't think they made a perceivable difference to my ear on my 223, I thought they were mainly to keep from giving the guy in the stall next to you a nosebleed by directing pressure forward rather than porting back into their face. The best way to tame the crack of a 22lr without a can is a nice 20" heavy barrel and standard/sub velocity. the linears may do something different with a 22lr compared to 223, but I doubt it.

It minor, but its enough to put up with if you have a thick cap over your ears. Not for a range day at all.

sngehl01

Plinker
    Sep 21, 2018
    Elizabeth
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, I know suppressor hunting is definitely legal.

The reason of what I'm doing is for if I want to go out and pop squirrels. I'd be using subsonic ammo in a bolt gun.

I definitely don't expect it to be "silenced" quiet in any way. I just figured with all the blast going forward it may make it a less sharp sound on the ears. I'm not overly surprised there's not a real discernable difference on a .223, but a 22lr sub round may soften a bit (er, be louder if you're in front of it I reckon. I'll ask the squirrels).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, I know suppressor hunting is definitely legal.

The reason of what I'm doing is for if I want to go out and pop squirrels. I'd be using subsonic ammo in a bolt gun.

I definitely don't expect it to be "silenced" quiet in any way. I just figured with all the blast going forward it may make it a less sharp sound on the ears. I'm not overly surprised there's not a real discernable difference on a .223, but a 22lr sub round may soften a bit (er, be louder if you're in front of it I reckon. I'll ask the squirrels).

.22 LR Subs in a bolt gun shouldn't even need a linear comp, IMO. And I'm a stickler for ear pro.

Ggreen

Person
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    [video=youtube_share;eavgShdHFBs]https://youtu.be/eavgShdHFBs[/video]

Best firearm related purchase ever. Thunderbeast 22takedown. Pick off a tree full of squirrels and they'll only hear the sound of the lead hitting their treemates

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have a Hera Arms linear compensator ordered that should be arriving soon (Bought for another project, but it is threaded 1/2x28). Once I get it in, I will report back with how it sounds on my savage MKII FSV .22. I have a silencer Co Sparrow that I can compare with as well.

I don’t have a meter, but I will give my thoughts.

sngehl01

Plinker
    Sep 21, 2018
    Elizabeth
    I have a Hera Arms linear compensator ordered that should be arriving soon (Bought for another project, but it is threaded 1/2x28). Once I get it in, I will report back with how it sounds on my savage MKII FSV .22. I have a silencer Co Sparrow that I can compare with as well.

I don’t have a meter, but I will give my thoughts.

Thanks, Did you ever get a chance to try this out?

sngehl01

Plinker
    Sep 21, 2018
    Elizabeth
    I haven't splurged yet to buy one of these (good gravy, they're not that expensive, i'm just cheap). my problem is i have no threaded 22's. keep window shopping the savage b22 and ruger american with threaded barrels.

Top Bottom