Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Improvise.
    Adapt.
    Overcome.

Sounds like that's one Marine that did all of the above.

Just gotta love the "if it might work, why not" thinking that made that call happen. :patriot:

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    My father in law would get calls at all hours from Iraq and Afghanistan asking questions regarding transmissions. I'll never forget the first phone call he got while we were eating dinner one night and it took him a little bit to understand the lingo and then he was finally able to talk the Marine through on how to fix the problem. Toward the end of the conversation he asked how he got his number and was told they did an internet search because nobody could figure out what was wrong with it over there and they had tried all they knew. From then on he would get calls every so often and when they would rotate out they would give his number to the next guys.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My father in law would get calls at all hours from Iraq and Afghanistan asking questions regarding transmissions. I'll never forget the first phone call he got while we were eating dinner one night and it took him a little bit to understand the lingo and then he was finally able to talk the Marine through on how to fix the problem. Toward the end of the conversation he asked how he got his number and was told they did an internet search because nobody could figure out what was wrong with it over there and they had tried all they knew. From then on he would get calls every so often and when they would rotate out they would give his number to the next guys.
    kudos to your father in law! We need more citizenship like that.

About the phone calls, I'm not that old but this kind of thing blows my mind--especially "facetime", it reminds me of capt. kirk talking to the klingon commander. I remember using a 30 rnd ammo carton to make a postcard to send home from the front because a supply truck driver was heading back and gave us an opportunity to send mail

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

When you see your father in law, tell him "Bravo Zulu"
    th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravo_Zulu
    The combination of the Bravo and Zulu nautical signal flags, e.g., Bravo Zulu, also referred to as "BZ," is a naval signal, typically conveyed by flaghoist or voice radio, meaning "Well Done" with regard to actions, operations or performance.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    "Why don't you just call customer service, dummy!"

"Well, maybe I will!"

Top Bottom