• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cityone1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    So I'm finally moving in with the soon to be Mrs. and first born on the way...I have been around firearms pretty much my whole life and know my basics with revolvers, semi autos, and shotguns, but I have never owned myself I didn't see the need for them until now......any suggestions on home defense weapons?

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    It hard to go wrong with a good shotgun. They are easy to shot, clean and hard to miss in a home defence shot. I personally use low recoil 00 buck. A Mossberg 500 can be found for $200 or less, I am more of a Remington 870 fan a little more but I just like them better.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    First, I would like to welcome you to a Great Site which
    will be able to answer most of your questions,

Second, for home defense, I kinda like a short barrel pump shot gun.
    You can pick up a pretty decent one for around $ 200. and go up from there.

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    A shotgun is hard to beat, if, you plan to stay in your "safe room" and defend from there. If you need to move thoughout the house to retrieve a loved one in a different part of the house to bring them back to the safe room, then a pistol would be a better choice.:twocents:

cityone1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    I have heard and saw a few mossbergs in the store that's where most people have been steering me.....but absolutely no luck in finding one 200 or so, everything I have found has been 400 and up, and I can't find a used one in my area, so I guess I have to keep hunting or just settle for the 400...and any ideas on what kind of pistol? Thanks for the advice, its really helping

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If you're going to keep a handgun for HD, and you are relatively new to owning firearms, MHO is that a revolver is the best choice, especially if it is not going to get used very much. They have no manual safety, are stone-cold reliable, have plenty of stopping power, and there are a huge variety of loads available. :twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There are SEVERAL Mossberg 500 models in the classifieds here for less than $200. For a $10 donation to the site( to become a site supporter) you could buy one of these today!
    If price is NOT an issue, take a look at the Taurus "Judge".
    It will chamber .45 colt OR .410ga, shotgun shells! It is a serious home defense type weapon!

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Go with a Remington 870, and not a Mossberg, you will be much happier in the end.
    ? I have fired both and MUCH prefer the Mossberg. It is 100% personal preference, the 870 is NOT a better gun than the Mossberg, and the Mossberg is NOT a better gun than the 870. The OP should try both.

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    With a wife and a little one make sure that any pistol or rifle round you choose is design to not pass through walls. I prefer a bird shot say #6-#9 at close range the pattern will do the trick and late at night the whole hallway is filled. as for a room clearing gun...searching for a loved one. I agree that a revolver is the best choice. No worries about jamming. And oh yeah make sure your wife is comfortable with any choice she may need to use it one day.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I prefer a bird shot say #6-#9 at close range the pattern will do the trick

I don't want to turn this into a "buck shot vs. bird shot vs. slugs" thread, so I will simply say that many don't agree with the above idea.

Therefore, my best advice, whether you choose handgun, shotgun, or carbine/rifle, is to get some good, high-quality TRAINING in that particular weapon system. That is an excellent way to also get some opinions from qualified experts.

Good luck!

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    It hard to go wrong with a good shotgun. They are easy to shot, clean and hard to miss in a home defence shot. I personally use low recoil 00 buck. A Mossberg 500 can be found for $200 or less, I am more of a Remington 870 fan a little more but I just like them better.

Thats what I'd say, although I have no issues picking up either the mossy or the 870. :rockwoot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    While a handgun cannot match the raw power of a shotgun, if a person is going to own only one gun, I prefer a handgun for it's versatility. It is easier to move about your house with a handgun, it is possible to discretely answer the door with a handgun, it is easier to keep a handgun nearby, and it gives you the option of getting your License to Carry Handguns and protecting your family outside the home as well as within.

I second the advice for a revolver. Get one with a 3 or 4 inch barrel, they offer more velocity and are far easier to shoot well than a 2 inch snubby. .38 Special +P, in a revolver chambered for either .38 Special or .357 Magnum, offer plenty adequate power and are extremely controllable. And .38 Specials are very accurate and a ton of fun to shoot while training and if you should choose to pursue shooting as a sport, which lots of folks end up doing after they start pulling the trigger :)

The model 64s offered here, ranging in price from $230-$270, would be excellent choices for a first gun.
    Revolver

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    While a handgun cannot match the raw power of a shotgun, if a person is going to own only one gun, I prefer a handgun for it's versatility. It is easier to move about your house with a handgun, it is possible to discretely answer the door with a handgun, it is easier to keep a handgun nearby, and it gives you the option of getting your License to Carry Handguns and protecting your family outside the home as well as within.
    Joe has given some excellent advice, +1 for defense on the go!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Hi,
    You've been given some excellent advice, and seen that, being human, we can't agree on ANYTHING! :): Seriously, the basic idea of a shotgun, some training, and then a revolver and some training for it, AND keeping wifey in the loop on gun choices and training, very very good.

And now the rest of you may go to the fridge whilst I give MY opinions.
    Shotguns, Almost any american made pump gun will do. Remington and Mossberg both make very good pump guns, and you should buy the one YOU like. I do have a preference, but it's irrelevant to you. I've owned both, as have many other of the members, and they're both good.
    Pistols, Revolver for sure. A good quality revolver by Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, Rossi, and a host of others will serve you well.
    One caveat on revolvers, though. An uncle was asking my opinion of the JUDGE last weekend, and I told him this: As far as a "nightstand gun" it'd be hard to beat. At close quarters pretty much anything it's pointed in the direction of is gonna take some damage. That said, they're bulky, heavy, and NOT something I'd want to carry with me out of the house. Let your conscience be your guide on that.
    Training, Yes, get some. Ask at your local gun stores, or check with some of the guys on INGO. There are some pretty sharp customers, here, and lots of them are LEO'S and trainers.
    And have fun with it!
    Andy

:ar15: :draw:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    This pretty much the same advise I would give you.

Hi,
    You've been given some excellent advice, and seen that, being human, we can't agree on ANYTHING! :): Seriously, the basic idea of a shotgun, some training, and then a revolver and some training for it, AND keeping wifey in the loop on gun choices and training, very very good.

Shotguns, Almost any american made pump gun will do. Remington and Mossberg both make very good pump guns, and you should buy the one YOU like. I do have a preference, but it's irrelevant to you. I've owned both, as have many other of the members, and they're both good.
    Pistols, Revolver for sure. A good quality revolver by Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, Rossi, and a host of others will serve you well.
    One caveat on revolvers, though. An uncle was asking my opinion of the JUDGE last weekend, and I told him this: As far as a "nightstand gun" it'd be hard to beat. At close quarters pretty much anything it's pointed in the direction of is gonna take some damage. That said, they're bulky, heavy, and NOT something I'd want to carry with me out of the house. Let your conscience be your guide on that.
    Training, Yes, get some. Ask at your local gun stores, or check with some of the guys on INGO. There are some pretty sharp customers, here, and lots of them are LEO'S and trainers.
    And have fun with it!
    Andy

79BRUISER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hi,

And have fun with it!
    Andy

Yep, what he said. Training, training,, training. Be sure to include the wife. It's very important to have her on board. It makes future purchases much easier.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Though I prefer a handgun for my home defense gun, a person can not go wrong with a shotgun. You do not need a license to take the shotgun to the range. It is generally easier to become proficient with a long gun. A shotgun can be used for defense, trap & skeet, or hunting. You might want to consider a 20 guage since this might be easier for the wife to handle. Mossberg 500 & Remington 870 are both good, but do not forget about the Bennelli Nova. I have a 20 guage nova with a 24" barrel and it makes for a nice general purpose firearm. Now if I wanted one gun to do it all, it is hard to beat a Remington 870 with a 21" improved cylinder barrel with sights and a 28" vent rib barrel with choke tubes. You can do everything: home defense, deer hunt, clay shooting, small game with one gun and two barrels.

Top Bottom