• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    My wife and I applied for our LTCHs on the same day, same time, fingerprinting same time, paid out local fee same time, and, interestingly enough, were both approved online at the same time. (2 kids make you do things together like this. Lol!)

Now the crazy thing is that my wife's LTCH came today(1 week exactly from paying the local fee) but mine didn't... Random and, frankly, frustrating. But I shouldn't complain. Last time it took a couple months...

Anyway. Here's the question: I have my approval, application number, valid date, etc and proof of approval. The valid date is 9/28/2018, so already active. Am I required, under new laws, etc to physically have the card on my person?

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Not required by law to carry your pink card and carry. If you have an LTCH then you are legal.
    The state legislature just amended this a year or two ago.

That's what I was thinking. I've searched the forum high and low for the last couple hours and found nothing from this year on this, though. Everything was several years old... I'm still amazed the "current wait time" is down to a week in most cases... Insane... I remember when I was told to expect it to be 6-14 weeks...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    All of that is true but it is up to you to prove you have one when push to shoved.
    How does one prove you are licensed, and it has not been revoked? The possession of a pink card only proves you were issued one at some time in the past. It does not prove you are currently licensed. I doubt a LEO that felt s/he had enough cause to detain you would simply trust the card. They would call it in anyway. In which case, having the card is moot.

But, that is all far from legal advice, or even friendly advice. I'm the guy who OC's w/o any form of ID or a pink card on me, so don't listen to me!

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    How does one prove you are licensed, and it has not been revoked? The possession of a pink card only proves you were issued one at some time in the past. It does not prove you are currently licensed. I doubt a LEO that felt s/he had enough cause to detain you would simply trust the card. They would call it in anyway. In which case, having the card is moot.

But, that is all far from legal advice, or even friendly advice. I'm the guy who OC's w/o any form of ID or a pink card on me, so don't listen to me!

Solid point. That was my thinking as well. To liken to a DL: Just because I do or don't have my plastic card on my person doesn't indicate whether I have a valid license or that I'm actually able to drive... Course, I've never actually been asked if I am permitted... And I've been permitted in all but one state I've lived in... Been carrying for over 10 years... Not once have I been asked...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Driver's license is different. You are required by law to have it in your possession while operating a motor vehicle (including a boat).
    An individual holding a permit or driver's license issued under this article must have the permit or driver's license in the individual's immediate possession when driving or operating a motor vehicle.  The individual shall display the driver's license or permit upon demand of a court or a police officer authorized by law to enforce motor vehicle rules.

LTCH is more like a business license, or a doctor/lawyer/hairdresser license. You are required to BE licensed, but you don't literally carry your business license around.
    Sec. 1 . (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and sections 2 through 2.1 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Driver's license is different. You are required by law to have it in your possession while operating a motor vehicle (including a boat).

LTCH is more like a business license, or a doctor/lawyer/hairdresser license. You are required to BE licensed, but you don't literally carry your business license around.

Interesting.... I've never know that.... Learn something new every day.... :yesway:

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Still have my "lifetime" permit.............and I'm not even a resident of Indiana anymore. I've even gone online and updated to my out of state address. Still shows as a valid permit...............as well it should. It's a "lifetime" permit after all and there is no provision or mechanism in the law for invalidating one just because you move out of state.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

Here’s a pretty good thread about it. It about having your LTCH on you after the law was changed.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/396867-ltch-your-person.html

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    lonehoosier, eldirector was the OP on that thread too... LOL!
    Yeah I know, did you not see my post in that thread too? Third post. I’m not disagreeing with you guys about carrying our LTCH. I’m just providing some food for thought. I still believe that the burden of proof falls on us.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And just in case you want to know what is supposed to be in your snail mail each day (like your LTCH), you can go look here, as well as sign up for an email that has images of most regular sized mail you should be getting:

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

I say this because it gives you some peace of mind of whether your mail is getting mis delivered, etc.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Well, the question is now moot. My LTCH came today. 1 week, 1 day from when I paid my local fee. Insanely fast. And it's plastic now... Interesting... I remember having to laminate my flimsy pink paper copy a couple years back.

Thanks all for the input. Glad to be back and part of this group.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    All of that is true but it is up to you to prove you have one when push to shoved.

this is very true and officers here in indianapolis are less likely to let it slide. last time i got pulled over the officer didnt like me for whatever reason and made me exit the vehicle asked for my weapon and proceeded to then run my information even though i had my ltch

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Still have my "lifetime" permit.............and I'm not even a resident of Indiana anymore. I've even gone online and updated to my out of state address. Still shows as a valid permit...............as well it should. It's a "lifetime" permit after all and there is no provision or mechanism in the law for invalidating one just because you move out of state.

Interesting. My son told me his IN license became invalid when he moved to Georgia. ??

I'll check into this............

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Interesting. My son told me his IN license became invalid when he moved to Georgia. ??

I'll check into this............
    They (Hog and Sparky's son) are both correct.
    Hog still has his "lifetime", and when/if he changes his address back to an Indiana address, he can carry on it again. It is a "valid" license, but only when he is a resident.

Sparky's son can't carry on his IN LTCH as long as he is a GA resident.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't know. I've been stopped twice recently by the DNR open carry both times. They both asked to see my DL and pink card. Gave it a glance and said have a nice day. I wouldn't want to be without. Makes life easier.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't know. I've been stopped twice recently by the DNR open carry both times. They both asked to see my DL and pink card. Gave it a glance and said have a nice day. I wouldn't want to be without. Makes life easier.

You are not required to possess a LTCH to legally open carry a handgun while hunting in Indiana.
    You DO need to have a hunting license to be hunting with a handgun.

IIRC- If you are on your own property, you can carry without a license as well, hunting or not.

Top Bottom