• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I took my Ruger 450 Bushmaster to the range yesterday. The first time I had taken it to the range was during the summer when I found that my brand new rifle was malfunctioning. The firing pin was barely touching the primers, very shallow strikes, resulting in 8 misfires out of 10 attempted shots. I sent it back to the factory and got it back, and the problem is gone.

Before sending it back to the factory I removed the scope, and re-mounted the scope after I got it back. I did not bore sight the scope, I just mounted it and took it to the range, an indoor 25 yd range.

Without ever adjusting the scope, here are my first 4 shots:
    20181007_140055_zpskxlhux1m.jpg

Here's the 5th and final shot:
    20181007_140100_zps01zptqzd.jpg

At that point I put the rifle back in the case and went back home. I will check it at the 100 yd range before I hunt with it, but I expect it will be pretty darn close.

Not sure what the chances are of mounting a scope and having it dead on without any adjustments, but I am happy to save the money on ammo! :rockwoot:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have had that happen exactly once. I bought a new .308 Match Grade Machine barrel for my Encore before last deer season. I mounted a Vortex 2.5-10 and hit the range and at 100 yards put the first 3 shots into a group about 1.5 inches high at 100 and all were touching. I quit while I was ahead and put it back in the case. Smoked 2 does opening morning with it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Two fantastic stories! I had just the opposite on my last range trip with the Henry Long Ranger. Had it dialed in at 100 yds the last time I used it, and found my first few shots high and right. Dialed it back in, only to get home and realize upon cleaning it that my rear scope quick-disconnect had worked slightly loose. Lesson learned, as that explains why 5 minutes after I had it set dead-on that it was just a little off all over again. #$%$#@!#$@.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m not smart enough to stop while I’m ahead. When I start a range trip with a really good group, I think “Man, I’m having a great day”. I then prove otherwise with the following shots. There’s a good reason that I avoid Vegas.

Glad to hear that the new rifle is working well for you now.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’m not smart enough to stop while I’m ahead. When I start a range trip with a really good group, I think “Man, I’m having a great day”. I then prove otherwise with the following shots. There’s a good reason that I avoid Vegas.

Glad to hear that the new rifle is working well for you now.

That's how things usually go for me as well.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had short one today too. Drove out to my range. Someone else was shooting. I busted a U turn and headed back home.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Always makes one feel good when everything lines up like that. You have more self control that I do, I never can go to the range with one firearm. Figure I went through the trouble of driving there, might as well get some value out of the trip. :ar15:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Always makes one feel good when everything lines up like that. You have more self control that I do, I never can go to the range with one firearm. Figure I went through the trouble of driving there, might as well get some value out of the trip. :ar15:

I would usually do the same. But I'm currently working 6 day weeks which limits what I can do during my time off. So it was nice to have time to do something else on my day off, then there's also the cleaning part. The more guns you shoot, the more guns you have to clean. The spirit is willing, but the clock says no.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you use a quality scope, quality mounts, and mount correctly there is no need to boresite. It will be within a few inch's at 50 yards.

Several years ago I traded some labor at a local gun shop for a new Leupold.
    I mounted it on my DPMS LRT SASS .308 with quick disconnect mounts and zeroed. All was good.
    Last year I bought a Howa 1500 action bedded into an ABA chassis and chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. I pulled the Leupold off of the DPMS and sat it atop the Howa.
    I had a 3 shot group from the Howa at about 60 yards that I could cover with a fifty cent piece.

I put it back on the DPMS and kept my zero there as well.
    Going back and forth from one Picatinny rail to another, one would hope it would stay close.

Quality components do matter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Awesome! Better than my version of "shortest range trip". Went to test a gun and forgot the mags for it. SMH.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Awesome! Better than my version of "shortest range trip". Went to test a gun and forgot the mags for it. SMH.

Have done that one before. Only thing that was worse was getting up early and driving 75 miles to go archery hunting, signing in at the check in station, drive to the parking lot and then realizing that I left my arrows at the house!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Have done that one before. Only thing that was worse was getting up early and driving 75 miles to go archery hunting, signing in at the check in station, drive to the parking lot and then realizing that I left my arrows at the house!

I left my primer caps at home one year during muzzle loader season.
    Luckily I was only a 15 minute drive from the house.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got lucky like that with my PA-10 when I switched out uppers. I did bore sight it, but it seemed pretty close so I didn't mess with it. Got it to the range and it was spot on. Well, spot on for me at least... I'm not really a precision shooter but I was hitting a 60% steel silhouette at 350 yards with ease.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Nice!... You also gotta love some 'fo-fiddy'... I'm dusting ours off in a couple weeks. It sadly occupies a rear corner of the safe off deer season. :(

:ingo:

The 450 Bushmaster is a great deer cartridge, a really nice option for public land deer hunting, or even private.

I'm pumped about hunting with this rifle this year. Here's some pics:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...y-new-public-land-deer-rifle.html#post7412202

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...new-public-land-deer-rifle-2.html#post7421585

Top Bottom