• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I got a frantic call from my wife today just as I was getting on my truck. She said her parents house was on fire. I hurried home and picked up the kids then headed up there. There wasn't much left of the house. Mom was ok but she had lost 3 out of her 4 dogs. She said that she was starting a fire in the fireplace about noon. She emptied the old ashes from last nights fire into a trash can outside next to the house, like she has done many times. Well they caught the can on fire and then the outside of the house, which was a log cabin type.

That spread to the back bedroom. She didn't realize what had happened until the smoke started filling up the living room. By then, it was too late.

A few weeks ago, my father-in-law had bought a nice, big and proper gun safe. He was working on clearing a spot in a back room for it. He didn't put all of his guns in it yet because "I'd just have to take them all back out when we move it." He lost a several very valuable guns. A Colt Python, a 1947 Winchester pump .410, 2 Anshutz Woodchucker bolt action .22 rimfire rifles (one that my boy took his first shots with) and a beautifully engraved S&W 44 special model 24. Also lost were his newly built AR, several shotguns and polymer pistols, a 1911, a S&W J-frame from the 1960's, a TC Encore and a Colt Single Action .22lr convertible.

The Python

The Winchester .410 before and after.

He really regrets not having everything in the safe. Trying to save about 10 minutes of work cost him all of those guns.

So now the process of rebuilding their lives starts.

Last edited:

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Absolutely sickening. Crazy to think that fire and flood can ruin everything in just a few minutes that people spend their lives working for. Sure hope your family rebounds from this.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    So sorry to hear...fire is an ugly animal...definitely some losses in the gun and dog categories...also glad to hear your in-laws are okay and un-injured!
    Items lost are sad...people lost are tragedies...one's perspective matters!
    It also pays to properly log and insure valuables with your insurance company.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Sorry to hear this. Did they talk to the Red Cross? They often can offer some assistance to victims of house fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Bigtanker, so sorry to hear about your inlaws' loss. The devastation from a house fire is a terrible tragedy and one that will stay with them for a very long time. Sorry they lost so many dogs; they are 'family members' too. Glad your mother inlaw was able to get out safely. So many times over my 35 years of service, I've helped homeowners comb thru the ashes hoping to find some family heirlooms or memories. Seeing people breakdown during this tough emotional time is so tragic. Sometimes finding the smallest item that got buried by falling debris can mean so much in this time of despair. That moment when they clutch something so valuable is why we help. It's just so sad to see such devastation. I feel so bad for your father inlaw...I'm sure he's beating himself up about not putting those collectables in his safe. Wishing you strength as you help them recover. Sending my prayers, John; 35-year volunteer firefighter.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    This is just tragic on so many levels. Prayers that everyone can recover emotionally, and thanks that your MIL and FIL are OK. Very sad about the dogs (and the guns).

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Horrible news.
    Like someone else said material things can be replaced.
    The Dogs no, and they are Family members, absolutely tragic.
    So sorry for your In-Laws.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Something like this is tough to get through. My sister had a similar incident. Material things have no value in life. No biggie.

Moment of silence please for the fallen dogs and firearms.

On the bright side everyone is ok and you FIL gets to go do some gun shopping:rockwoot:

Year from now everything will be brand new and life goes on.

Top Bottom