What is the Biblical View of Gun Control?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Instead of WWJD (What would Jesus do) ?

Try this******continue to always love Jesus, and then go by WWJWD (What would John Wayne do) ???

Works for me.:ingo:

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think a lot of people like to squint and read things into Scripture that just aren't there.

I enjoyed the article by Larry Pratt. It provoked a few thoughts in me.

Taking the verse in Timothy (if anyone does not provide for his own, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever) to mean that we have an *obligation* to provide for the physical security of your home and family seems a bit of a stretch. I think it's clear enough that protecting yourself and your family is permissible, but is it *commanded*? It's very difficult to find any scriptural argument for self-preservation rather than self-sacrifice for another.

Likewise, the good Samaritan was good because he helped another who was victim of a crime, not because he prevented a crime.

[FONT=&amp]For this reason I say to you, [be]do not be worried about your [bf]life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as towhat you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?[/FONT][FONT=&amp]26 Look at the birds of the [bg]air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?[/FONT][FONT=&amp]27 And who of you by being worried can add a single [bh]hour to his [bi]life?[/FONT][FONT=&amp]28 And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,[/FONT][FONT=&amp]29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith![/FONT][FONT=&amp]31 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Perhaps you could add to that "what will we do for defense?"

It's absolutely clear that we are to resist the Devil and the influence of the flesh in our lives. But it's FAR less clear that we are to resist someone who would do evil to us. Permissibly, it seems we can defend ourselves based on OT law at least. But a *commandment* for self-preservation is very, very difficult to argue Biblically against many verses that we are not to hold our own lives so precious.

"For me to live is Christ, to die is gain."

"For whoever loves his life will lose it, but whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life"

I think a believer is allowed to use lethal force, but I think it's NOT scriptural to say that it is commanded in light of the large volume of evidence that a believer is to be humble (self forgetful), and hold to this life very loosely.

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    One biblical verse often cited regarding self-defense is Luke 22:36, "He said to them, "But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one."

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Seems irrelevant.

Perhaps citing biblical references regarding self-defense is not a direct correlation to gun control, but I would not call it irrelevant. All four gospels include the account of the Pharisees trying to trap Jesus when they ask him whether it is lawful to pay taxes to Caesar or not. His response was "Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." He is not dismissing the lawful authority of government to pass laws, in this case laws concerning taxes. Yet there are limits to what the government can impose, man's laws do not trump God's laws. If our Lord recognized the right to self-defense, then this would imply that the government at least has certain limits in this area as well. Jesus placed a very high value on human freedom, the right to self-defense is indeed an integral part of that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, should we be convincing Christians in other countries that, "they aren't doing it right" if they don't own guns, or they allow their respective govt. to impose gun control?

...which makes me wonder, how much gun control is Biblical? Mag bans? Is banning guns in Public Schools a sin? F4473 - am I sinning when I buy a gun from a dealer? Should Christian gun dealers refuse to keep a bound book? Is my FFL03 the mark of the beast?!

I love Jesus, I love guns ... in that order.

I also love beer. In fact, there's likely more Biblical support for abstaining from alcohol than there is for firearm ownership. You need to be very careful when you go into the Bible with the intent of finding passages that support your position; instead of letting God speak to you, you're telling God want you want to hear... which is rather progressive.

To me it seems the Luke 22:36 is cherry picking, the same way progressives cherry pick Mt 7:1, or Catholics cherry pick James 2:14. I see far more support of obeying the government unless it explicitly defies God. And while I don't like it, I just don't see explicit support for owning a certain type of firearm (or any) for self-defense. I can make the claim that self-defense isn't sinful, but to carry that to say that I'm entitled to carry what I want, where I want because God says so, is a stretch.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I think the broader question of government is more appropriate, if we're talking about what the Bible says.

The purpose of the governor given in 1 Peter: 13 Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, 14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.
    (1Pe 2:13-14 NAU)

We are even told to pay the taxes we owe.

I don't see any biblical justification for government micromanagement of things like guns, agriculture, travel, etc.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, I'm Jewish, not Christian. The Talmud certainly lays out the protection of the right of self defense, referencing Exodus 22:3, in saying that you have every right to defend yourself against someone that intends to harm you. No real mincing words in "If someone comes to kill you, rise up and kill him

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think the broader question of government is more appropriate, if we're talking about what the Bible says.

The purpose of the governor given in 1 Peter: 13 Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, 14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.
    (1Pe 2:13-14 NAU)

We are even told to pay the taxes we owe.

I don't see any biblical justification for government micromanagement of things like guns, agriculture, travel, etc.

1 Peter 2 gives us the ideal government, which we can all agree is rare event.

I don't see where those things listed are outlawed or we're told to resist. I'd argue that the micromanagement under Roman rule was a bit more draconian than today. Besides, under a republic, a lot more blame needs to be placed at our feet for those things.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I agree with what's been said prior regarding the silence of the bible on the defense of your family.

But, on defense of yourself I'm not sure I agree as much.
    Jesus does command to "turn the other cheek." He seems to be indicating that we, when persecuted (even as far as physical violence) should be willing to endure it. He says this because as a Christian our aim is always eternal and spiritual. We shouldn't be concerned with, even the persecutions, things that have their origins in this world.

Now, on your family or those under your protection I don't agree with passivity. I'd call your attention to a passage in Proverbs:Proverbs 24:11-12 New King James Version (NKJV)

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]11 Deliver those who are drawn toward death,
    And hold back those stumbling to the slaughter.
    12 If you say, “Surely we did not know this,”
    Does not He who weighs the hearts consider it?
    He who keeps your soul, does He not know it?
    And will He not render to each man according to his deeds?
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Solomon, with God's approval, indicates that men who have the ability to defend the helpless should. My wife and children need defense and it's my job as the head of the family to provide it.

See also what Solomon's father David said in Ps 82:4
    Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    1 Peter 2 gives us the ideal government, which we can all agree is rare event.

I don't see where those things listed are outlawed or we're told to resist. I'd argue that the micromanagement under Roman rule was a bit more draconian than today. Besides, under a republic, a lot more blame needs to be placed at our feet for those things.

I'm not making those claims or arguing those points at all. All I'm saying is that there is no view of gun control promoted by the Bible, and that we should look at the big picture stuff that is stated explicitly, i.e. the purpose of government, rather than quibbling over minor issues that are not even touched on. Let's get to the really good stuff, like "Love God and love people" (my paraphrase). Or, "Walk in the light as He is in the light."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm not making those claims or arguing those points at all. All I'm saying is that there is no view of gun control promoted by the Bible, and that we should look at the big picture stuff that is stated explicitly, i.e. the purpose of government, rather than quibbling over minor issues that are not even touched on. Let's get to the really good stuff, like "Love God and love people" (my paraphrase). Or, "Walk in the light as He is in the light."

I beg to differ.

1 Samuel 13:19 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
    Now therewas no smith found throughout all the land of Israel: for the Philistines said, Lest the Hebrews make them swords or spears:

Top Bottom