• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Another auction coming up that I figured you guys would want to know about...

attachment.php

:ingo:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    A whole lot of cheap guns, they must've liked those single barrels. I just picked up a like new H&R single barrel 20 ga from Highsmiths for less than 150.00, wouldn't pay much more than that though.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Stuff seems to go crazy at auctions. Ammo especially. At least the seller will be there. Answer questions and not involve a transfer fee.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    One might assume that a competent auctioneer would know the difference between a "clip" and a magazine. Maybe not.

Well, I also assumed that most everyone here also would understand that the term "Clip" is used often even by experienced firearm collectors! As my father passed in 52. I was taught about firearms - safety - hunting etc. In the late 1950's by my BIL.

When shooting his "brought back 1911", he called the "Magazine" a "Clip". Many of his friends (also ex-service men from WW2) also called them the same.

Of course he may have not had the experience many of you have. He was only a Sargent in the US Army, fought all over Europe and several Islands. He earned a couple of Bronze and one Silver Stars. He carried a 30 cal bullet from the war between his heart and spine and was buried with it. I doubt anyone here would have made an issue of him calling a "magazine" a "clip"!

I still often refer to Magazines as clips ~ I guess that can be excused as I have only handled / collected firearms for about 60 years.

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    Auctions can be good but more times than not the ones I attend or follow online bring prices that are stronger than gun show deals.

As far as clip vs magazine, Marlin needs correcting, too. They got it all wrong on their Camp .45s. :rolleyes:

BILD0818_zps9d35c3eu.jpg

And Remington obviously doesn't have a clue. Might as well call Jack Roy a dumbass, too for selling mislabeled items in his world famous gun shop. :rolleyes:
    4pt6xc_zpscwyzbmji.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    And Army Ordnance when they called for the original 1911 to have removable clips. Those guys had no idea what they were talking about.

Me, I store all my ammo and clips in the magazine.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    One might assume that a competent auctioneer would know the difference between a "clip" and a magazine. Maybe not.

It is pretty common to see auctioneers make mistakes much bigger than that!

I attended an auction a few weeks ago in which one of the items was a German WWII PPK with Nazi leader grips that sold for $350. That would be a screaming hot deal if not for the fact that it was a zinc reproduction that clearly said "Made in Japan" on the side of it. There were at least 3 people; the auctioneer, a losing bidder, and the one who took it home, that failed to realize it wasn't actually a real gun!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It is pretty common to see auctioneers make mistakes much bigger than that!

I attended an auction a few weeks ago in which one of the items was a German WWII PPK with Nazi leader grips that sold for $350. That would be a screaming hot deal if not for the fact that it was a zinc reproduction that clearly said "Made in Japan" on the side of it. There were at least 3 people; the auctioneer, a losing bidder, and the one who took it home, that failed to realize it wasn't actually a real gun!

I've seen those before, not sure how that would fool anyone?

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I've seen these small auctions before drive up prices on relatively "cheap" guns to actual retail or more for used guns. I believe people get "bidding fever" and forget what the firearm is really worth on the market. Same thing goes for auction lots of ammunition. I've seen people pay more than retail prices you could get at Cabelas or Gander. Just amazing stuff happens at auctions.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, I also assumed that most everyone here also would understand that the term "Clip" is used often even by experienced firearm collectors! As my father passed in 52. I was taught about firearms - safety - hunting etc. In the late 1950's by my BIL.

When shooting his "brought back 1911", he called the "Magazine" a "Clip". Many of his friends (also ex-service men from WW2) also called them the same.

Of course he may have not had the experience many of you have. He was only a Sargent in the US Army, fought all over Europe and several Islands. He earned a couple of Bronze and one Silver Stars. He carried a 30 cal bullet from the war between his heart and spine and was buried with it. I doubt anyone here would have made an issue of him calling a "magazine" a "clip"!

I still often refer to Magazines as clips ~ I guess that can be excused as I have only handled / collected firearms for about 60 years.

Auctions can be good but more times than not the ones I attend or follow online bring prices that are stronger than gun show deals.

As far as clip vs magazine, Marlin needs correcting, too. They got it all wrong on their Camp .45s. :rolleyes:

BILD0818_zps9d35c3eu.jpg

And Remington obviously doesn't have a clue. Might as well call Jack Roy a dumbass, too for selling mislabeled items in his world famous gun shop. :rolleyes:
    4pt6xc_zpscwyzbmji.jpg

And Army Ordnance when they called for the original 1911 to have removable clips. Those guys had no idea what they were talking about.

Me, I store all my ammo and clips in the magazine.

1. Love it! Thanks for speaking up and telling the "learned" that technical things can be called differently depending on what part of the country you lived/background/culture and not b/c of your education/technical level.
    2. After all, look at car part names in England:
    Saloon vs. Sedan.
    Estate vs. Station Wagon.
    Bonnet vs. Hood.
    Windscreen vs. Windshield.
    Sill vs. Rocker Panel.
    Petrol Tank vs. Gas Tank.
    Tyre vs. Tire.
    Boot vs. Trunk

U.S. NAME: HUBCAP | UK NAME: NAVE PLATE
    U.S. NAME: TURN SIGNAL | UK NAME: INDICATOR
    What the British call brake lights, the Americans call tail lights