Working Rural Kings Gun Counter and dealing with management store Mgnt. Sigh....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Working Rural King

if any body has any questions about Rural Kings policies or why we do some things that we do I will give you a god honest answer....

Last edited:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Ignorance when met with factual information and then choosing to ignore the factual information is when someone goes from ignorant to stupid.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    While I sympathize and see it in every facet of many industries on all levels, I'm with dad^ complaining about your employer in public and naming them and giving a pretty good idea of the location is usually a shortcut to HR.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    RK, being as it is a box store with many locations, they need to take a position. Not all individuals are as intelligent as you may be so they need to basically create a blanket policy that best protects the company. Not everyone may be as intuitive as you are so they need to cover their behinds against potential problems.

Personally, if you are that upset about it, maybe a job change would help. I may even agree with you, but to publicly call them out is not real good PR and can backfire. You openly called their management stupid.....not a good thing.

BTW, as stupid as you claim them to be - they did hire you; so there may be merit to your claim. :):

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Simone-Giertzs-Popcorn-Machine.gif

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Last gun I bought at RK took an hour, yes, an HOUR to process. I filled out the 4473 on their computer system, put my address in as it appears on my DL, and THEIR SYSTEM overrode that and put in whatever the "official" USPS address is. They had a fit because my DL doesn't have a "W" in front of my street name, but their system said it should. Took all that time and a manager to figure out how to override the override. Goofy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    ATF is really cracking down right now on addresses matching the drivers license exactly as well as straw purchasing. Just saying.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    I've bought 2 guns from RK. Never had an issue. From start to finish about 25 minutes both time. One was for me and the other for a present for my Dad. No issue either time. Maybe it's just the store you work at???

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    OP I've had the same issue at Bradis and not knocking them but if you've been in INGO for any period of time you're aware that they are held up as the light in the darkness. People have to want to learn. Teaching those that are incapable or unwilling to learn is an exercise in frustration at best.

On a separate topic good luck at your new job.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    ATF is really cracking down right now on addresses matching the drivers license exactly as well as straw purchasing. Just saying.

just need 2 forms. Just had to go through this myself.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-form-identification-must-licensee-obtain-transferee-firearm
    "[FONT=&amp]The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]A combination of government issued documents may be used to meet the requirements of an identification document. For example, a passport which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of the holder may be combined with a voter or vehicle registration card containing the residence address of the transferee in order to comply with the identification document requirements. A passport issued by a foreign government is also acceptable so long as it has all of the required information.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Whether a hunting license or permit issued by a retailer meets the definition of an identification document is State law specific. This license or permit meets the definition of an identification document if the State in which the retailer is located has authorized the retailer to supply State issued documents. If the State recognizes the hunting license or permit as government issued, then this license or permit would qualify as being government issued for the purposes of supplementing another government issued identification document.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]A description of the location of the residence on an identification document, such as a rural route, is sufficient to constitute a residence address provided the purchaser resides in a State or locality where it is considered to be a legal residence address."[/FONT]

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Take a minute and think about living in this country without the BATFE. Now think about how many U.S. Presidential Administrations you have seen in your lifetime who could have completely done away with the BATFE - and did not. Now think about all of the Congressional bodies we have seen that keep voting to fund the BATFE and continue to grant themselves more and more authority every year in direct defiance of the U.S. Constitution. Angry yet? This is NOT ABOUT how long you have to wait for "permission" to buy a firearm. It doesn't matter if it takes 15 minutes or 3 hours or 3 days. It's about believing that you are obligated to bow down and beg your Master for that permission. Angry yet?

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Having worked for Rural King now For a few years I'm becoming more and more dismayed at upper store Mgmt. when it comes to ATF regulations and federal firearms laws. I have a upper store manager that swears that a wife purchasing a firearm for her husband is a straw sale. or a son purchasing a firearm for Christmas for his dad is a straw sale. I want to look them in the face and tell them to quit making up their own rules and JUST FOLLOW THE LAW, JUST FRIKING FOLLOW THE LAW. its not that difficult i happen to be the firearms department manager. I have had instances where they said no to a sale and me being me ( I complete the said sale ( AND JUST FOLLOW THE LAW ) its rely simple JUST FOLLOW THE LAW. no making up your own crap, hell the 4473 even has a section explaining what a straw sale is and what gifting is. I think mgmt is to stupid or ignorant to understand this concept.

ok my rant is over.....

if any body has any questions about Rural Kings policies or why we do some things that we do I will give you a god honest answer....

I know what you mean. With their main office in Illinois, most of what they are doing is the Illinois mentality and not based on actual regulations or laws.

I worked in the gun barn for a just under a year as a 2nd job. I had that very same problem at our store as well. It's a corporate problem, not a local problem. And as I see it, it will not change, not with all the executives and upper management based in "The People's Communist Repulik of Illinois".

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Oh lawdy yes! I know about that Illinois mentality. I worked for a gun shop for 10 years in Champaign. Driving the moving truck out of Illinois was the best thing I ever did. Illinois is Mordor.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the thing that burns me about rk is that they "think" they know gun laws, but in fact, they don't know s**t from shinola!

had a guy come in and ask questions about buying a gun (I don't work at rk), I told him we do an online check with nics and get one of 3 responses

1-approved, you can take the firearm with you
    2-denied, you cant take the firearm
    3-delayed, that the government has 3 business days to look further into your background, and that the brady law says that after 3 business days we can give you the firearm

he replied, "why wont rk give me the gun then?" I asked what do you mean? he said 2 months ago he bought a gun(and paid for it), and they wont give it to him because the government hasn't given them an answer on the delay

I said, must be their policy no approval no transfer, I asked "did you fill out the 4473 again?" he said no, I had to tell him that the paperwork is invalid and after 30 days, it has to be filled out again, and most likely he'd get delayed again, so it would be a endless circle, that he'd never get his gun from them. I suggested he get his money back, and buy the gun from a us.

30 minuets later he walked back in with cash, bought the gun, got delayed, and 3 business days later, we gave it to him without a response back from the government.

and don't get me started on the "gun barn" employee who didn't know the difference from 22 long rifle and 22 magnum (he had to go find someone else to ask!)

Top Bottom