• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    My son's 10/22 was having feeding and extracting issues. I called Ruger and shipped it back to them for Warranty. Ruger said the Receiver is unfixable and they are as a "goodfaith" measure willing to replace it for me, but they have to ship it to an FFL as it will have a new serial number.

Is that the case? Why do they have to ship it back to an FFL because it's was a defective firearm?

I'm a bit confused and irritated that I might have to pay for a transfer fee...

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It’s because the serialized reciever was changed. You’ll probably have to do a 4473 was well because it’s technically a different firearm than what was sent in. I’d count on a transfer fee and be thrilled if you don’t have to.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My son's 10/22 was having feeding and extracting issues. I called Ruger and shipped it back to them for Warranty. Ruger said the Receiver is unfixable and they are as a "goodfaith" measure willing to replace it for me, but they have to ship it to an FFL as it will have a new serial number.

Is that the case? Why do they have to ship it back to an FFL because it's was a defective firearm?

Because they are not shipping the same firearm back to its owner. New gun = FFL

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states

I've had similar issue with a different brand and the destroyed the defective and used my serial on the new one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    It’s because the serialized reciever was changed. You’ll probably have to do a 4473 was well because it’s technically a different firearm than what was sent in. I’d count on a transfer fee and be thrilled if you don’t have to.
    That's kind of what I though, and it's a bit frustrating, Thank you ATF for making this as hard as possible! I just want a safe functional firearm.
    I did talk to the place I purchased it from and she said I will not have to pay the transfer fee.
    I'll keep you updated.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've had similar issue with a different brand and the destroyed the defective and used my serial on the new one.

BATF frowns on this actually. Because the 2nd unit with serial #63475344525 is not the ACTUAL original #63475344525. #63475344525 was literally destroyed, and writing #63475344525 on another one does not make it the actual unit you originally purchaed.

Wish they could do it though for this specific purpose.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    There you go. Ruger took care of you, as well as the shop you bought it from. Win. Win.

Had a similar experience.
    Winner Winner, take your son out for a chicken dinner after going to the range with his refurbished gun.

Nice to read that both Ruger and your LGS did the right thing. Refreshing to see that kind of customer service. Give a shout out online to your LGS.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    BATF frowns on this actually. Because the 2nd unit with serial #63475344525 is not the ACTUAL original #63475344525. #63475344525 was literally destroyed, and writing #63475344525 on another one does not make it the actual unit you originally purchaed.

Wish they could do it though for this specific purpose.
    The manufacturer told me that it is legal as long as it is identical replacement and that the original is completely destroyed.. it was a major manufacturer that did this. Maybe they have a special provision for doing it. To me it makes sense but I can also see atf being buttholes about it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Ruger will pay for your transfer fee...Have the FFL give you a receipt or, what happened here was I told Ruger what my transfer fee was and they cut the customer a check for the amount...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Most every gunshop I know of will waive a transfer fee in cases like this.
    It's just good business, though not a requirement.
    They could just as easily say "it will be $45 for a transfer" and that would be their right. I doubt you would return though, so no sense in trying to gouge you for something over which you had no control.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Ruger will pay for your transfer fee...Have the FFL give you a receipt or, what happened here was I told Ruger what my transfer fee was and they cut the customer a check for the amount...
    I'll have to remember that. Ruger said the Rifle will be shipped in about two weeks after the receiver is replaced and it's tested.

Top Bottom