HR 7115 - Ban AR, 80% lower and parts kit builds???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Hopefully this is not a dupe. I searched and could not find a thread about this.

As I understand the article linked below, HR 7115 would ban the construction of firearms by the owner. No 80% lower builds for handguns or long guns. No buying a lower and assembling your own AR. No sales or assembly of firearm parts kits of any type.

Apparently this was introduced on November 2nd. I have not seen or heard anything about it before the TTAG article.

I tried to use my Google Fu to find a response from the NRA, but I could not find one. Has anyone else seen a response from the NRA or any other pro 2nd amendment group?

It almost seems like this is flying under the radar because it was released right before the election.

Key texts that are in the article are below.....

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...oCpkBgirWaudQ4V5qd-nFOKYCQpvszUrLXyegya15D7Tg

"To prohibit the sale, acquisition, distribution in commerce, or import into the United States of certain firearm receiver castings or blanks, assault weapon parts kits, and machinegun parts kits and the marketing or advertising of such castings or blanks and kits on any medium of electronic communications, to require homemade firearms to have serial numbers, and for other purposes."

"SEC. 3. Prohibition of advertising do-it-yourself assault weapons.

(a) In general.—It shall be unlawful to market or advertise, on any medium of electronic communications, including over the Internet, for the sale of any of the following:

(1) A firearm receiver casting or firearm receiver blank or unfinished handgun frame that—
    (A) at the point of sale does not meet the definition of a firearm in section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code; and
    (B) after purchase by a consumer, can be completed by the consumer to the point at which such casting or blank functions as a firearm frame or receiver for a semiautomatic assault weapon or machine gun or the frame of a handgun.

(2) An assault weapon parts kit.

(3) A machine gun parts kit."

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm curious what Trump will have to say on it. I like that the Republicans have the Senate, but at least a few would follow Trump's lead on this.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A solution to a problem that doesn't exist (outside their own imaginations).
    Well come one. Like famed DNC Shil (per Wikileaks DNC dump) Savannah on the Today Show just said the other day, even if the new laws wouldn't stop any of the recent shootings, we have to do some thing.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'm curious what Trump will have to say on it. I like that the Republicans have the Senate, but at least a few would follow Trump's lead on this.
    He said that in order to make deals with Nancy, he might have to take the Dems in the Senate along with a few Republicans to get things done.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    He said that in order to make deals with Nancy, he might have to take the Dems in the Senate along with a few Republicans to get things done.

You're not helping me feel any better about this.

;)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

All of a sudden the prospects of a democrat moving into White House in 2020 just appeared to be a bit more possible.

kirtar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    West Lafayette
    So, is 2 any LPK?
    What about an upper receiver, it is a receiver that doesn't need an FFL?
    (2) the term “assault weapon parts kit” means any part or combination of parts designed and intended to enable a consumer who possesses all such necessary parts to assemble a semiautomatic assault weapon;

And since they're abandoning any pretense of caring about ~scary features~ on rifles:
    (4) the term “semiautomatic assault weapon” means—
    (A) a semiautomatic rifle or semiautomatic shotgun that has the capacity to accept a detachable ammunition feeding device; or​
    (B) a semiautomatic pistol that has—​
    (i) the capacity to accept a detachable ammunition feeding device; and​
    (ii) any one of the features described in subsection (b);
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/7115/text is the full text of the bill

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Pay attention friends, this is only the first of the legislation that is going to move through the House next year.

They will be attacking that which surrounds the 2A amendment. Lessons were learned in the Assault Weapons Ban and don't expect a full frontal assault. It may appear as such but that won't be the goal. The liberals will continue to incrementally make it more difficult to exercise your 2A rights.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    Their strat is to introduce more and more hurdles to getting a gun until effectively nobody except a fringe majority (who will be cast as bat**** insane) has one. Then afterwards they’re free to trample all over your rights

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Knee jerk reactions aside, this part is my favorite.......

"[FONT=&amp]This bill has a [/FONT][FONT=&amp]2%[/FONT][FONT=&amp] chance of being enacted.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Factors considered:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The overall text of the bill does little to affect its chances of being enacted. The bill's primary sponsor is a Democrat. The bill is assigned to the House Judiciary committee. The bill's primary subject is Missing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](Factors are based on correlations which may not indicate causation.)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Predictions are by Skopos Labs."[/FONT]

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    So, you can have a receiver if serial numbered but no parts to finish it. Even more interdasting is that it provides two definitions. One definition is for a semi-automatic rifle and the other is for a machine gun. They are defined by their mechanical attributes. There is no hybrid definition in there for muh bumpstock. I wonder how this will conflict with any other "future" bans. These people are stupid.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    So one of my marlin 88's goes down and need parts and I get stuck with paperweights because they are semi auto 22's.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This post was from another thread but it was a dupe. A lot of info in here so I wanted to share it.

This was in guns America news letter. And So It Begins: House Dems Move to Ban AR Parts Kits

by*JORDAN MICHAELSon*NOVEMBER 15, 2018

Related Tags:*Buzz,*Gun Control,*News,R2KBA

Rep. Frank Pallone, Jr., D-NY, is the lead sponsor on a bill that would outlaw home-built AR-15’s. (Photo: Frank Pallone Facebook)

Democrats filed*H.R. 7115*even before they regained control of the U.S. House of Representatives, and now that they hold a solid majority, they’re ready to make their gun control fantasies come true.

Rep. Frank Pallone, Jr., a Democrat from New Jersey, filed the legislation on November 2, 2018, and it’s being co-sponsored by 13 additional representatives. The bill would “prohibit the sale, acquisition, distribution in commerce, or import into the United States of certain firearm receiver castings or blanks, assault weapon parts kits, and machinegun parts kits and the marketing or advertising of such castings or blanks and kits on any medium of electronic communications, to require homemade firearms to have serial numbers, and for other purposes.”

Legislators dubbed the bill the “3–D Firearms Prohibitions Act,” though the text doesn’t mention 3-D printed firearms anywhere beyond the title.

Under H.R. 7115, gun manufacturers would no longer be permitted to sell partially machined receivers for “assault rifles.” Also called “80 percent lowers,” these items do not qualify as “firearms” under U.S. law and have long been a target of gun-control lobbyists because they allow individuals to create “ghost guns,” or firearms without serial numbers.

SEE ALSO:*House Dems Will Seek to Criminalize Private Transfers in 2019

For those wanting to manufacture a firearm without using an 80 percent lower, H.R. 7115 also requires all individual firearm makers to request a serial number from the federal government before creating a firearm. The prospective gun maker would contact a federal firearms dealer, who would issue the number using the same process as any other firearms transfer.

But the bill also targets serialized, do-it-yourself AR-15 kits by outlawing “assault weapons parts kits” and “machine gun parts kits.” Strangely, it also prohibits companies from advertising 80 percent lowers, AR parts kits, or machine gun parts kits. According to the law,

(a)*In General.—It shall be unlawful to market or advertise, on any medium of electronic communications, including over the Internet, for the sale of any of the following:

(1) A firearm receiver casting or firearm receiver blank or unfinished handgun frame that—

(A) at the point of sale does not meet the definition of a firearm in section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code; and

(B) after purchase by a consumer, can be completed by the consumer to the point at which such casting or blank functions as a firearm frame or receiver for a semiautomatic assault weapon or machinegun or the frame of a handgun.

(2) An assault weapon parts kit.

(3) A machinegun parts kit.

It’s unclear why the bill bans the advertising of already prohibited items, but political grandstanding has always trumped logic on the anti-gun priority list.

For those hoping to get around the law by simply purchasing individual parts rather than a complete kit, the bill has that covered, too. It defines “assault weapon parts kit” as “any part or combination of parts designed and intended to enable a consumer who possesses all such necessary parts to assemble a semiautomatic assault weapon.”

So much for that loophole.

SEE ALSO:*Gallup: Support For Stricter Gun Control Drops

Gun owners can also say goodbye to building Ruger 10/22’s. A “semiautomatic assault weapon” is, according to the bill, “a semiautomatic rifle or semiautomatic shotgun that has the capacity to accept a detachable ammunition feeding device.” Under H.R. 7115, a parts kit for a .22-caliber child’s rifle would be considered just as deadly as a kit for an AR-15.

With the Democrats in control of the House, passage of H.R. 7115 is more than possible in that chamber. The Senate is a different story, as Republicans expanded their majority, and President Trump has remained a solid supporter of Second Amendment rights, despite*some concernsearly in his presidency.

Still, Washington is the capital of backroom deals, and it wouldn’t be the first time Republicans concede ground on one issue to get what they want in another arena. H.R. 7115 doesn’t ban “assault weapons,” after all, and who*really*cares*about 80 percent lowers?

Gun owners can contact their House representative*here*and their Senators*here.

***Buy

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    16 co-sponsors as of today. The summary, full text, co-sponsors and other information can be obtained from this link https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/7115/text?q={"search":"firearm"}&r=1

PLEASE, keep writing your Congresscritters! Those who value liberty and freedom had a small window to do some truly important things and squandered it. (No HPA, no reciprocity, no mandatory firearms training / marksmanship demonstration in public schools) We must now once again play defense and be ever vigilant.

This bill is likely to only be the beginning of a wave of such legislation. I urge you to get on https://www.congress.gov/# and set up a search for firearm related bills, and attack all those which undermine the Second Amendment relentlessly!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The Repub House when the Dems had the Senate and WH, passed hundreds of bills that never went any further... now it is the Dems turn. We have to wait and see if Trump becomes sympathetic. We know he seems to have a first instinct to sympathize and feel the need to do something. But then he either settles down or someone explains things to him.

Top Bottom