• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    I'm looking into possibly buying some rural land off 46 between Columbus and Nashville to hopefully build a house on in a few years. I would love to be able to target practice every once in a while on my own land, assuming proper backstop and other safety measures, etc. Could people from that area chime in, is that generally considered acceptable (within reasonable time windows and with low frequency), or would it be frowned upon?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Assuming it is safe, shooting is generally accepted in that area. But it might make more sense to join Hoosier Hills or South Central Gun Club.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I grew up just east of Nashville on 46 and my mother stills lives there. It is just outside of the City Limits. I shoot there occasionally and the neighbors have called the Sheriffs Dept. once The Deputy was polite and knew that it is out of the city limits. He said that the noise was the complaint. When I lived there in the 70's and 80's no one would have complained or didn't. But there have been several from the Indy area retire and move to Brown county. So be prepared for neighbors to complain, but as long as everything is safe, it won't and can't go very far.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    When this thread has run its course, you will find that 50% will say good to go and 50% will say never buy land with the expectation to shoot on it. And that statistic may be an accurate reflection of the experiences of all that will post here. Don't let that discourage you.

Having the luxury of going out on your land and plinking whenever you want is one of the most gratifying experiences I've had in my life. So, the 3 factors that will determine which 50% you fall into are location, location, location.

A recent Sunday afternoon I was working on my property and one of my neighbors spent ~at least~ 200 rounds over the course of a couple hours. I didn't call the Sheriff, it didn't bother me. Joe138 has neighbors that don't see things the same way I do. So, as you look for property, do your homework and check what is nearby. Google maps or any number of other mapping web apps can give you an aerial view of the surrounding homes, etc. As Patience0830 points out, there are no county restrictions on gun fire, they are found in city and/or town limits.

Find some land in the middle of nowhere (maybe hard to do in Brown County, lord knows I looked) and enjoy!

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    it's even better if you invite a neighbor over occassionally!

THIS! If/when you find your patch of heaven, get to know your neighbors. If you have any that are sensitive to the sound, get their contact info and send a text as a heads up. Legally, if you are on your own land and no projectiles exit your property you should be good to go. As IndyJohn mentioned, it is an enjoyable afternoon to plink on your own property. Brown Co. has a TON of natural contour in the land so a good backstop shouldn't be hard to find. We were blessed to have an Ingo Member allow us to shoot on his property till we purchased our own. It gave us a wonderful opportunity to teach our children outside and at our own speed, without the worry of people around us at a public range. I highly recommend it! After all, they aren't making any more of it, and land doesn't depreciate.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Even if you have land with a natural hill or ravine, I suggest you create a simple "designated shooting" area. Even if you don't always use it, you can show it to neighbor or deputy and it makes you look more safety conscious. Sometimes it's just about the image you create.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had more than a decade of access to private property of one sort or another that I am able to shoot on, but none that belonged to me.
    I've been blessed with the good will of others to allow me the use of their land to enjoy a sport(s) I love.
    I hunt one or two properties, and plink/practice at others, and it has worked out well.

This year I acquired a 1/4 share of 50 acres of prime hunting ground, along with other family members. There is no describing the feeling of having the ability to shoot on your own property.
    I can shoot free at a local indoor range. I can shoot free at a 50 yard range in my brothers front yard. I can shoot on the property I have permission to hunt, but none compares to having my own property.

I will be hunting this new property this Saturday morning.
    I've worked hard this spring/summer erecting a shoot house (one each for 3 different hunters) and clearing shooting lanes...
    I was the first family member to shoot on our new property, and it's a memory I'll have for the rest of my life.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've had more than a decade of access to private property of one sort or another that I am able to shoot on, but none that belonged to me.
    I've been blessed with the good will of others to allow me the use of their land to enjoy a sport(s) I love.
    I hunt one or two properties, and plink/practice at others, and it has worked out well.

This year I acquired a 1/4 share of 50 acres of prime hunting ground, along with other family members. There is no describing the feeling of having the ability to shoot on your own property.
    I can shoot free at a local indoor range. I can shoot free at a 50 yard range in my brothers front yard. I can shoot on the property I have permission to hunt, but none compares to having my own property.

I will be hunting this new property this Saturday morning.
    I've worked hard this spring/summer erecting a shoot house (one each for 3 different hunters) and clearing shooting lanes...
    I was the first family member to shoot on our new property, and it's a memory I'll have for the rest of my life.

Rock on Brother. :yesway:

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    Thanks everyone for the great responses! It sounds like it's not unreasonable to make being able to shoot on the property a high priority criterion. I figured I would talk to the neighbors and let them know at least; I may try to meet some of them before I buy too. It would be a serious bummer to buy a property only to find out afterwards I'm going to have to fight with a neighbor for the rest of my life about shooting on my own land. It does sound like a wonderful thing, to be able to go out and shoot on your own property :-)

I looked into joining the gun club down here, but the days on which they meet are the worst possible days for me; I've been trying to go for like 6 months, but I've never been able to make it. Maybe someday...or I'll just buy some land and it'll be a moot point :-)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    IMO, blast away and have fun. On one hand if the neighbors don't like it p*ss on them it's legal. On one hand they're your neighbors and some consideration goes along way. If you actually have property and have some distance between houses then sure, but the sound will echo a lot in the hollers. That's where investing in some silencers would be good

In BC, you'll get some country people who like to have neighbors that shoot. Or you'll have city people who moved to the country and think that shooting guns is bad, illegal, etc.

Again, I say as long as you're safe and use some sense fire away and have some fun. Enjoy some of the perks of living in the country like shooting and peeing outside.

That being said, BC sucks so if you find some land in Bartholomew County I'd lean that way.

Crappy highway department, ATT never works (so if you don't have Verizon look at that) and does nothing about all the meth heads

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The farther east away from Nashville, the easier it will probably be. One set of my Grand parents live on 46 between Gnaw Bone and the county line on a short section of old 46, we never had any neighbors complain there.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I shoot on my own property still south of you. No one around here complains. I've been lucky thus far but it could change, who knows.

Come Saturday morning it will sound like a redneck revolution around here. My deer don't seem to mind.

I had a doctor friend bring out a couple rifles to sight in today and I wanted to see how my eyes worked with the .270 iron sights. I had targets at 50, 100 and 150 yards. We had put about 20 rounds down range but had to stop to let 4 does walk through while we were actively shooting. I shoot year round so the sound and activity does not bother them, but evidently they haven't read the warnings on the boxes of ammo.

I am blessed to be a steward of my land and share it with family and friends. Some times I might have 8 or 10 men and women from my church come out and make a day of shooting. You just can't have too many people who are fond of shooting, but if we don't help create them then who will?

All I can tell you is when/if you go shooting on your property... take a friend.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I looked into joining the gun club down here, but the days on which they meet are the worst possible days for me; I've been trying to go for like 6 months, but I've never been able to make it...

I'm a member of HHRP and generally if you have gone shooting with a member and then both of you show up for a meeting or other event, they will take you in without going to 3 meeting, etc.

The main thing they are looking for is safety and good range etiquette.

I'd be happy to take you out to the range and get you started. I'm retired with a very flexible schedule. Hit me up if you're interested.

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    I'm a member of HHRP and generally if you have gone shooting with a member and then both of you show up for a meeting or other event, they will take you in without going to 3 meeting, etc.

The main thing they are looking for is safety and good range etiquette.

I'd be happy to take you out to the range and get you started. I'm retired with a very flexible schedule. Hit me up if you're interested.

Thanks, I would actually greatly appreciate that! I'll figure out when I have some free time coming up and send you a PM.

As far as property goes, it looks a few of the ones for sale right now are in "neighborhoods," and one says it has convenants and restrictions. I'm guessing I should shy away from those if I want to be able to shoot on it without pissing people off?

That being said, BC sucks so if you find some land in Bartholomew County I'd lean that way.

Crappy highway department, ATT never works (so if you don't have Verizon look at that) and does nothing about all the meth heads

Interesting, and good to know. It looks like most of what's in Bartholomew County are in these fancypants hilltop neighborhoods with 1 acre lots; I'm guessing they'd REALLY not appreciate someone shooting next door. That's probably where most of the anti-gun city folks are concentrated. I'll keep an eye out for something less pretentious if it shows up.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    My son has a 5 acre plot on possum trot rd, long and narrow, adjoins yellowood and Morgan Monroe forest, so lots of hunting acreage that doesn't have public access nearby- thinking of selling

Last edited:

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I lived in the Nashville area and have numerous friends in the area still including several deputies for Brown County. If the property is in the county and outside the town limits of Nashville then you are good to go as long as the shooting is done safely. There may be the occasional call to LE, but it will not go anywhere so long as the shooting is safe. The county cops down there are typically 2A supportive as well. They would just stop out and possibly ask if you would show them where you were shooting so they can clear the call and move on.

Top Bottom