• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    First, I have to admit I’ve never been deer hunting. I have a Remington 870 but only mod choke barrel. What would be best ammo choice for it to go deer hunting?

Thanks, Matt

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've shot slugs out of a full choke without damaging the barrel....or any deer. I don't suggest it, but I was keeping the slugs in 8" at 50-60 yards. However, no deer felt like getting that close that year.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've shot slugs out of a full choke without damaging the barrel....or any deer. I don't suggest it, but I was keeping the slugs in 8" at 50-60 yards. However, no deer felt like getting that close that year.

I have serious doubts I’ll be seeing any in the first place but I figure I should be prepared as best I can.

Matt

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Any RIFLED slugs that are on sale will shoot just fine. They are soft and the choked barrel will swage them down a bit. Do a little practice shooting and know your limitations.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    With all the other choices available today for either private or public land, you couldn’t pay me enough to shoot a slug gun. Along with other issues, it’s the heaviest projectile available shot through a gun engineered to be lightweight, punishing the shooter. If you’re on public land and not adverse to adding a gun to the collection, a 357mag rifle beats 12g slug all day. Private has all kinds of fun options that knock socks off slug gun.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    With all the other choices available today for either private or public land, you couldn’t pay me enough to shoot a slug gun. Along with other issues, it’s the heaviest projectile available shot through a gun engineered to be lightweight, punishing the shooter. If you’re on public land and not adverse to adding a gun to the collection, a 357mag rifle beats 12g slug all day. Private has all kinds of fun options that knock socks off slug gun.

Several years ago I had a Ruger K77/357 but got rid of it in order to get something different. That’s one I still kind of regret. I will be on private land. Should I forego the 12ga and grab my 7.62x39 SKS that is mounted in a wood Monte Carlo stock?

Matt

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Several years ago I had a Ruger K77/357 but got rid of it in order to get something different. That’s one I still kind of regret. I will be on private land. Should I forego the 12ga and grab my 7.62x39 SKS that is mounted in a wood Monte Carlo stock?

Matt

Sounds like a winner to me!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    A modified barrel will work fine with Foster style slugs. My son's Mossberg 500C will shoot Federal Tru-Ball slugs touching at 35 yards with the modified choke installed and a cheap 2 power Tasco scope. Shoots the same spot with Turkey loads as well. If you have doubts that you will be successful or will deer hunt regularly, I would not spend the money on a new barrel. If you are gonna get serious about it, then buy or build a dedicated slug gun. I swapped barrels for years, checked the sights, re-sighted in, etc. I finally bought and scoped a dedicated deer gun and have not regretted it one bit. If my son decides to deer hunt hard instead of chase girls and hang out with friends, I will buy or build him a better set-up.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I own a smooth bore 870 with iron sights. It was designed to shoot rifled slugs and it has a bore restriction in it. I have never checked how much because it is a very good 100 yard, maybe more, deerslayer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The old remington smooth bore bbls normally were choked "Imp Cyl".
    I know folks with Remchoke models and some have reported foster slug accuracy bettered w Mod choke screwed in (instead of Imp Cyl).

The issue with using a field bbl as a slug bbl.............is length.
    Lots of recoil and lots of barrel flight time means picky on the shooter input.
    And it may flip them high.

I've shot some Vent rib guns with slugs and they did fine to 50 yards. Slow to line up, but if you can put the bead on the receiver edge the same each time, it's a sight.
    Need range time to learn whatever offset there is.

Of course, when the buck shows up many will forget to line it up and just wing shoot it. Heck, many do that with scopes and or sights LOL.

But foster slugs work well enough to 150, inside 75 they are mean........,720 is a big hole.

Had great luck w smoothbore Mossberg 500 deer guns, scoped.
    Bought ,my slugs all from one lot #, accurate to 150 yds.

Remington smooth bores never shot as well as the POS Mossbergs.
    Tried many a slug back in the day, spent a lot of time getting beat up on the bench.

Now a rifled bore 870? That is my preference. Esp w old WW High Impact Supremes.
    They dropped that slug, so I sold my slug gun.
    That thing shot great, and hammered deer.

Don't have a public land gun, but could slap a reddot on my 870 turkey gun. Drop in a IC tube and after zeroed be OK to 75 yds.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    With the new laws allowing high powered rifles, there are a slew of rifles 870 barrels on the used market. That would be an easy fix, or just rock the SKS. Plenty of deer have fallen to those. Just make sure you use quality hunting ammo.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    If you have an sks, I would use that instead of the shotgun. Don't use fmj and don't carry more than 10 rds on you.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I never seen an 870 that didn't like the cheap old Winchester rifled slugs. I'd buy me a couple boxes and sight it in to be sure.
    I've shot probably 700 or maybe more rifled slugs through a modified barrel. I'd shoot them through a full choke (and have shot plenty of them) but I never found one that shot slugs accurate enough to suit me.
    You're not going to hurt that 870 mod barrel with rifled slugs.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In the old days the WW fosters were of larger OD than the Remingtons.
    Proly why everybody liked WW slugs :)
    I forget when Big Green increased their foster OD. But I do remember seeing them marked "new and improved" lol.
    Proly were undersized initially to lead less when ripped through full choked bbls.

Top Bottom