• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Have a close friend who is a gun guy, he has some awesome stuff, but here is the thing it sits in his safe. Lots of special edition Ruger's i don't understand it? What's the point?

Maybe I am wrong but I want to shoot the ones I have, family fun can not beat it. I would hate to have spent my life and not enjoy the things I have. Seem like if you take care of them all is good?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Some guys are shooters, some are just gun owners, some consider themselves collectors, some investors. I have a friend who buys nothing but high dollar collectible guns that will never be shot. His money, his game. I have neither the money nor the inclination. I've been considering unloading several guns that never get shot. I could probably sell enough guns that I could unload one of the safes, too. Whatever floats your boat. :)

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I know what you mean. The Father in Law had a closet full of handguns and rifles that just sat all alone in the dark. I try to take different ones out to the range all the time. I do not own any guns that are unfired, or at least unfired for very long. I guess I like shooting which leads to collecting different guns, instead of just collecting guns for the sake of collecting.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    There is a guy on here that bought one of those $2500-$3500 1911's and shot it better tan the other handguns he had but would not carry it due to its cost. It does not make sense to me but to each their own.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There is a guy on here that bought one of those $2500-$3500 1911's and shot it better tan the other handguns he had but would not carry it due to its cost. It does not make sense to me but to each their own.

I can see not carrying such a gun (assuming one owned one, which I would likely never do), as I wouldn't want it to end up in an evidence lock up some where if I had to use it.

Personally I focus on carry guns (similar or same platform, etc) and having multiples of same gun, while others own lots of different stuff, etc.

Different strokes, can't see why anyone would complain about someone else's choices unless they are doing something unsafe.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've known people like the guy you described, who have lots of guns, but hardly every shoot any of them.
    I, personally, choose to shoot what I have, even if just in a rotation, but nothing just 'sits' in the safe.
    Not that I have a lot...I prefer to keep things simple and enjoy what I own...and have fun with family and friends!
    To each their own...

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    Maybe he's keeping it as an investment, and is waiting for prices to increase to resell at higher price. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I can see not carrying such a gun (assuming one owned one, which I would likely never do), as I wouldn't want it to end up in an evidence lock up some where if I had to use it.

Personally I focus on carry guns (similar or same platform, etc) and having multiples of same gun, while others own lots of different stuff, etc.

Different strokes, can't see why anyone would complain about someone else's choices unless they are doing something unsafe.

This is what I do with the multiples guns. There is a saying 'that you get what you pay for' but there also ' the law of dimishing's returns' where the cost out ways the benefits.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I turned 64 this year. I was raised by a WWII disabled veteran dad that loved everything about guns. I was always at my dad's side. If there was a gun show within 100 miles, we were there. Those were the good ole Pre-1968 days. It would be impossible for me to list all the guns I've owned in my lifetime...hundreds for sure...probably not a thousand... yet. There were times, especially after inheriting my dad's guns upon his passing, that I've had as many as 40-50 at once, overflowing the safe and many tucked under beds and stacked in corners of closets. I'm not a collector and not wealthy by any standard but I try not to think of the money involved. Probably the most expensive gun I've ever owned was a German made Weatherby Mark V 300 magnum (It was my dad's 1969 Christmas present and I killed my first deer with it.) Certainly nothing outrageous. There are those firearms I regret purchasing and those I regret getting rid of. Some I sold or traded off because I just didn't like them. Some I sold because I needed to pay the kid's school book rental. There were some I never fired. There were several I swore I would never get rid of...but are gone now. (To all the guns I've loved before - LOL) The regrets are mostly overshadowed by the joy I have had just for the experience of owning them, playing with them...fondling them ;-) I used to hunt but, not much anymore. I have participated in rifle and pistol competitions, but not anymore. My safe has many open slots now. I have only one firearm I swear I'll never let go...A Browning Citori 16 ga shotgun. My hunting buddy was always worried about me scratching the stock on briars. He said he would never carry a gun like that. My bird dog is getting pretty old now. Who know what tomorrow holds? I still own a couple I haven't fired yet.

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    INGO, and the gun hobby is a very wide spectrum. People are in different points in life, and interests change, like CB above pointed out. When I was big into bird hunting, I was always wanting another, better grade Citori. When carrying a 12 gauge on Saturday and Sunday started to wear on my aging body, I went to lighter 20g and .410's. The buddies that would hunt with me once a year or so, couldn't understand why I was carrying a .410. Because they hunted once a year, and I did it every day available.

Life changes our priorties, and the way we collect guns. It just is what it is. The only shotgun I currently own is Winchester 101 in 20g. I don't have bird dogs anymore, but can still participate if invited by a buddy that still does. No need for me to keep drooling over O/U shotguns anymore, it's not my thing anymore, I've moved on.
    It's almost 4am, and I just got home from coyote hunting. Some people can't understand why I have a suppressed AR with a thermal scope on it. My only answer is, my interests have changed.

People buy what they like, or what they need/want to pursue hobbies. Why do people get so worked up over what other people do? (Not directed at the OP)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

^^^Same here on carry pistol. I have nice looking, nice shooting handguns that will be used at the range, and set in the safe the rest of the time.
    As a retired Service Tech, I carry a TOOL=A Glock..A LOT easier to replace at a low price..Bill.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

That's a really good point. Rep inbound.

I have two guns I carry, a plain-jane Glock 19, and a plain-jane Glock 17. I chose those because if (heaven forbid) I ever had to use it I won't mind that the police will take it and I'll never see it again. I can buy an exact replacement for a little more than a couple hundred bucks. I'm actually a better shot with my 1911's, but I prefer the larger magazine capacity of the Glocks for daily carry.

I have a couple dozen guns in my collection now, including a bunch I inherited from my dad earlier this year...I haven't fired *most* of them more than a handful of times, if at all. I enjoy much of my collection for the historic or sentimental value it holds more than I do for their use as firearms. I think this speaks to your point...there are lots of different aspects of gun ownership, and not everyone checks all the same boxes.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i shot every gun ive ever owned, 1000's & 1000's of rounds through my USPSA open pistol. my carry gun has had a 1000 or so rounds down the pipe. competition shotgun 1000's of rounds through it. i bought both my rimfire steel guns this year, 3500 rds through each of them.

i do have 2 wall hangers, (remington wingmaster 20g & a marlin model 99 22LR) that havent had more than 500 rds through them.
    both belonged to my dad, the remington is over 60 years old, the marlin was purchased in '60..

:cheers:

wish dad was still around, he passed away in '78 at the age of 59) i think he'd enjoy shooting some steel :fogey:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Some people spend their life savings buying things and putting things away:nuts: Makes no sense to me at all. My in-laws for example. Basement, house, and outbuildings stacked floor to ceiling. They sit and pout about how broke they are and how retirement sucks. They both got jobs and went back to work so they can continue spending.

Me on the other hand keep life simple. If I haven't put a hand on it in a year it's gone. Don't matter guns, tools, camping gear, motorcycles, archery. My house is clean, I drive a nice truck and rest easy with money in the bank. Life changes we get older and interests change. Sell off while there is still meat on the bone and move on.

Drives me nuts to see primo stuff sitting and rotting. I know where there are some really nice muscle cars f#@%$=s won't sell!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I can remember when I was a kid we had a neighbor that would get home from work and take a bubble-bath (so he said) while his wife mowed the yard. I mentioned to my mother how strange it was for the man to take baths while his wife did the yard work. She told me that they are allowed to live life by their own rules, not other's rules, and that I would do well to learn from them and to mind my own business.

I have a handful of guns that I shoot, fairly regularly, not nearly as often as some do, but more often than most.

I also have an extensive collection of guns that I never shoot. Guns that I enjoy because of the historical importance. Stranger still, I only buy something if I can get a really good deal on it even though I could afford to just go buy whatever I want. The thrill of the chase and getting a bargain is a big part of the fun for me.

A couple of years ago I sold a number of guns from my collection for the purpose of paying for a sight-seeing tour of Europe, even though I didn't really need to. I have been buying back examples of many of the same guns ever since. It was just important to me to be able to pay for the trip by selling part of my collection. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Do what you will with your own weapons. I personally don't own any that have not been fired by me. I purchased a 1891 Mauser that was still in the cosmoline; first thing I did was clean and shoot it. YMMV, your choice. Me, I own weapons for their shootin. I've never sold a weapon I bought. I'm not really interested in any potential future value that someone may get from me having never fired it or still having the box...it will be worth 100% more to them than it was before they inherited it.

Top Bottom