What is the benefit to a Curio and Relic license?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have been going through a bunch of Forgotten Weapon's videos on youtube, and Ian keeps making specific mention of guns that are available on a C&R license. My question is this: what is the benefit of this type of license to a collector? Are there items available to C&R that are simply not available to Tom, Dick, or Harry (or PaulF)? Is there a financial or legal benefit? It seems unnecessary to me...can't I just buy any of these items without a C&R at my local gun store (inventory permitting)?

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Delivered to your door means no FFL fees for C&R items. Some vendors give discounts for 03 buyers. For $30 for three years, you'll save way more than it costs.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    It really benefits someone who buys a lot of older guns online. If I won an auction for a mauser I will have to pay $30 to ship the rifle to a gun shop and another $25 to transfer it.

If you buy two or three a year, shipping and transfer fees can be over $150. A C&R license allows these guns to be shipped directly to your door. From my understanding, it is a type of FFL. A 3 year license is under $100

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    How do you turn a large fortune into a small fortune? Get a C&R license.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the responses.

I can see the value if I were a more frequent buyer of old guns...I'm a little afraid getting one would spur me to buy more!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I got my C&R back in 2000 and man were the imported guns were cheap and plentiful back then. I forgot to renew it a few years back and thinking about renewing it. I've really slowed my collecting down so it's not as important to have the C&R as it was for me. It's nice to have even if you only do a couple of online transactions a year.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have had one for several years. The benefits are: (1) You can purchase Any firearm (that did not originally have a full auto option) that is over 50 years old without going through a FFL-01 dealer transfer. (2) You can sell and ship direct to any FFL-01 or FFL-03 without any paperwork other than Emailing a copy of your license to the each other and listing theirs in your Black book with the sellers information (Name, license number etc.), (3) some large dealers in firearm and components give discounts on firearms and parts. (4) You can reduce the shipping costs, receive the firearm at your front door quickly, and eliminate the FFL-01 transfer fee.

You do have to keep a "Black book" with detailed information as to purchases and if one of the C&R firearms is sold or gifted, record the purchaser's / receiver's name and address (and license if he is a dealer or collector).

Also if the BATF wants to inspect your records and / or firearms, they will notify you and you have the option of having them come to your home OR taking the firearms and your book to the nearest BATF office.

Note that if you obtain the FFL-03 license, the records are ONLY pertaining to firearms purchased while you hold the license. Other C&R firearms you have are not listed. If you do obtain the license and let it expire you can dispose of the "Book" - records are NOT sent to the BATF unlike a FFL-01 dealer's records.

The C&R designation is only valid for unmodified firearms with some exceptions made for Military firearms that were modified by arsenals during use and other minor changes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for all the responses.

I can see the value if I were a more frequent buyer of old guns...I'm a little afraid getting one would spur me to buy more!

And the advantages don't end with online sales. Find a "C&R eligible" gun in a shop? Hand over a signed copy of your C&R to the proprietor and out the door you go... no filling out the 4473. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have had one for several years. The benefits are: (1) You can purchase Any firearm (that did not originally have a full auto option) that is over 50 years old without going through a FFL-01 dealer transfer. (2) You can sell and ship direct to any FFL-01 or FFL-03 without any paperwork other than Emailing a copy of your license to the each other and listing theirs in your Black book with the sellers information (Name, license number etc.), (3) some large dealers in firearm and components give discounts on firearms and parts. (4) You can reduce the shipping costs, receive the firearm at your front door quickly, and eliminate the FFL-01 transfer fee.

You do have to keep a "Black book" with detailed information as to purchases and if one of the C&R firearms is sold or gifted, record the purchaser's / receiver's name and address (and license if he is a dealer or collector).

Also if the BATF wants to inspect your records and / or firearms, they will notify you and you have the option of having them come to your home OR taking the firearms and your book to the nearest BATF office.

Note that if you obtain the FFL-03 license, the records are ONLY pertaining to firearms purchased while you hold the license. Other C&R firearms you have are not listed. If you do obtain the license and let it expire you can dispose of the "Book" - records are NOT sent to the BATF unlike a FFL-01 dealer's records.

The C&R designation is only valid for unmodified firearms with some exceptions made for Military firearms that were modified by arsenals during use and other minor changes.

I believe you do have to enter them in your book ("receive" them) and then list the disposal in the book if you sell one that you owned prior to getting your license though. But as long as you don't sell one that you owned prior to the license, it doesn't need to be listed.

One other thing to note... If you sell a C&R eligible gun, you MUST record the buyer's name, address, DOB and DL #. Likewise, if you're buying one from a private seller, you have to get their name and address (but not their DOB or DL#). I've had a couple of people call a deal off because of these two things. Uncle Sam's rules though so... :dunno: Whenever I'm selling one of mine, I make that clear up front so the buyer or seller isn't caught by surprise.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I believe you do have to enter them in your book ("receive" them) and then list the disposal in the book if you sell one that you owned prior to getting your license though. But as long as you don't sell one that you owned prior to the license, it doesn't need to be listed.

One other thing to note... If you sell a C&R eligible gun, you MUST record the buyer's name, address, DOB and DL #. Likewise, if you're buying one from a private seller, you have to get their name and address (but not their DOB or DL#). I've had a couple of people call a deal off because of these two things. Uncle Sam's rules though so... :dunno: Whenever I'm selling one of mine, I make that clear up front so the buyer or seller isn't caught by surprise.

Worth repeating.

Lately, I've found the C&R FFL to be less useful since the surplus has mostly dried up.

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    I collect S&W revolvers mainly. 1968 is cut off date for C&R. That seems like yesterday. :):

With a C&R I can buy at out of state gun shows and take possession on the spot. Don't overthink this - just get one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I collect S&W revolvers mainly. 1968 is cut off date for C&R. That seems like yesterday. :):

With a C&R I can buy at out of state gun shows and take possession on the spot. Don't overthink this - just get one.

You know, it's bad when you can buy guns that are younger than you but are C&R eligible. :fogey: :):

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I let my C&R FFL lapse several years ago when the wholesaler's supply of a wide range of low cost C&R's dried up.
    There were a lot of good years.

CENTURIATOR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2018
    Saint Louis
    I've paid for my C&R many times over just from the discount I get by registering it with Brownells. Plus, on the occasions where I do buy a C&R, it is sure a great benefit to have it shipped directly to my house than having to hassle with a FFL dealer and pay a transfer fee.

Top Bottom