• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I know very little on these aftermarket finishes and doing some research for myself and a friend as we have wives interested in the Tiffany/Robin Egg Blue on something like a Glock 43/SW Shield/ P365. I found a place in Texas named Cerakote Services and X-Werks in AZ that both seem to supply a lot of guns that are listed on Gunbroker. Are there other finishes out there? Anybody know anything about durability? Is there a "king" to these finishes...any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I think that most would agree that Cerakote when properly applied is probably the "king" of the spray on finishes. I have had a couple of Glocks refinished with cerakote and I've been surprised how durable it is. I believe it's much more durable that the finish on most Gen 4 Glocks.
    I go to a local guy for my work and he's impressed me with the quality of the finish and his artistic abilities. YMMV

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    Cerakote, when done properly (prep work included) is considered the best. The others fall in behind somplace. Dura-Coat is considered second by many with the Dura-Coat and
    Aluma-Hyde (shake and bake) aren't really in the same category....ymmv

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    If you are into doing it yourself, take a look at DuraCoat. Does not require baking. It is available as an aerosol or a spray on. My only attempt was with the spray on. I went all in and blasted everything in a blast cabinet and used an airbrush and detail spray gun to apply the finish. Like any spray painting, ventilation is important. The wife wasn't too happy with the odor that the A/C sent through the house. This Star BM has had over 600 rounds through it since refinished and has been cleaned numerous times with no effects on the finish. Not a carry gun, so can't attest to how it will hold up to holster wear. https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/
    414068682.jpg
    [/IMG]

Attachments

• 414068681.jpg
      414068681.jpg
      23.4 KB · Views: 5

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Cerakote is generally accepted as thre professional choice. Idk it is any better, but they support the pros by continually adding colors and formulas to their line up. For a simple single or two color you will find a lot of applicators. I've got a few allenm board guns and they are top notch, including my edc beater glock. I've seen good results of people using durakote at home as well, and im thinking aboot doing an ar using it.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The slide on my 2011 was "ion-bonded" by Benny Hill at Triangle Sports, and I love the look, but I know nothing about the process or how hard or easy it is to do. To me it does not look painted on like the Cerakote finishes do.

Here is a link to a company that does this stuff, and it sorts of explains the process.

ionbond

Here is my 2011:

oxsojYk.jpg

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I just recently had a gun Cerakoted, and if it’s done right it seems to be a good (and very popular) finish. Although it is a finish that is placed on top of the metal, there are other finishes (nitride, hard hat, ion bond etc) which are a metal treatment and actually hardens the metal and therefor isn’t going to wear the same.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Those are not "finishes " as you think, more of a chemical process done after machining. Glocks are coated in black after that process for example. Standard Nitriding looks like steel and doesn't color. You don't lose that protection when adding cerakote

Top Bottom