• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Just a hypothetical situation...I want to know the most efficient and correct (legal) way to help out a recently widowed aunt, living in another state. Situation (hypothetical) out of state uncle recently died, has small collection of guns, mostly good quality handguns. Aunt is interested in liquidating. She asked and I hypothetically offered to help out, if possible, by getting the guns sold on private market, thinking she’ll fair better financially vs her auctioning or selling them herself to local dealer. She isn’t equipped to sell on private market in her home state. I’m fairly certain an FFL will need to be involved...uncertain how that works. Any thoughts?

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Figured as much. I’m not versed in the mechanics of FFL transfer...

What’s the most efficient way to accomplish this? She takes guns to her out of state FFL...they ship to Indiana FFL? Can she ship guns directly to Indiana FFL?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Go see tour favorite FFL holder and talk to them......those firearms will need to go FFL to FFL .....hypothetical speaking

Be safe keep it legal

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    FFL to FFL. Got it. Now to the efficiency thing. Would one expect to be get fee’d to death with the process? I’m thinking if each FFL charges for the transfer, maybe $25 on each end...$50 for each gun, plus shipping, it seems like she might be just as well off to sell to local gun shop and take the loss vs private sale. I really don’t know exactly what is in this collection, but I’d guess it’s several guns in the $500-$1000/each range. I’m happy to help her out and find the collection a happy new home, but if the return to her is similar, I’d just give her direction to unload them locally.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you get the specs and pictures and list them on gun broker, whoever buys the gun can absorb the shipping and send their recieving FFl info to an FFL that you and your aunt can contact local to her.

1. Contact a FFL local to your aunt.
    2. List each gun on gun broker with the shipping cost specified by your local FFL.
    3. When a gun sells anywhere in the US your FFL sends it to their FFL

Little fuss little muss.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I had not considered gunbroker...I’m a bit adverse to eBay because I’ve had several buyers more or less use eBays ****ty seller protection policies to their advantage, screwing me. As a seller, I feel strong about accurately describing an article for sale, warts and all. With this mentality, does gunbroker expose me to potential of similar nonsense?

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Here’s another possibility: Does anything prevent her from bringing the guns to Indiana on her next visit? We could then both take them to an Indiana FFL and transfer them to me? That would mean only one transfer fee and no shipping. Any trouble there?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    GunBroker is VERY easy, and would expose you to nothing, especially being they are the aunt's firearms.
    I think it would be your best bet, both financially and legally.

It's easy to register as a seller.
    You pay a nominal fee for each sale.
    Buyer pays ALL fees (FFL & shipping) as long as you state as such in the description.
    FFL's take care of all of the paperwork.
    You also get people bidding on your guns, unless you list a "Buy it now" price.

I've sold a couple of items on GunBroker, and purchased WAY too many items.
    Just be sure to be clear in your description, not only of firearm condition, but also all conditions of sale.
    State shipping charges clearly, or state "Buyer pays actual shipping" and communicate well with prospective buyers.

Or, since you have more than enough posts, list them here, and let your aunt sell them to Ingo members.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Here’s another possibility: Does anything prevent her from bringing the guns to Indiana on her next visit? We could then both take them to an Indiana FFL and transfer them to me? That would mean only one transfer fee and no shipping. Any trouble there?

Yes.
    Federal law prevents this.
    The seller must transfer them from the state in which they reside.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    GunBroker is VERY easy, and would expose you to nothing, especially being they are the aunt's firearms.
    I think it would be your best bet, both financially and legally.

It's easy to register as a seller.
    You pay a nominal fee for each sale.
    Buyer pays ALL fees (FFL & shipping) as long as you state as such in the description.
    FFL's take care of all of the paperwork.
    You also get people bidding on your guns, unless you list a "Buy it now" price.

I've sold a couple of items on GunBroker, and purchased WAY too many items.
    Just be sure to be clear in your description, not only of firearm condition, but also all conditions of sale.
    State shipping charges clearly, or state "Buyer pays actual shipping" and communicate well with prospective buyers.

Or, since you have more than enough posts, list them here, and let your aunt sell them to Ingo members.

Im not completely adverse to the GB thing. I’ll consider that route. I was picturing selling them post transfer here in the classifieds. I enjoy buying and selling and have enjoyed every interaction w ingo folks, being selling, buying, or shooting and training with. If I go INGO classified route, good pics, and FFL-FFL requirement seems like it would work. I’ll see how this plays out and what the collection looks like. I may go GB route before all said and done. Thanks for the education!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You can post them here on INGO With good pics, descriptions, prices and estimated shipping.

Your aunt can take them to her FFL and he/she can ship them to an IN FFL.

If you are wanting to buy them on the cheap from her and make a profit that is another thing.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    You can post them here on INGO With good pics, descriptions, prices and estimated shipping.

Your aunt can take them to her FFL and he/she can ship them to an IN FFL.

If you are wanting to buy them on the cheap from her and make a profit that is another thing.

Just trying to understand the FFL process. Want to be legal and help her get fair prices for them.

I dont want want to make money, I just love to sell guns!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It is going to depend on what he had as to whether folks would take much interest in going to the expense of having it shipped and a transfer, etc I'm guessing.

If he had some interesting/collectible, etc stuff it shouldn't be a problem to get people to do that. If he had common stuff that can be purchased cheap, locally then not so much.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    It is going to depend on what he had as to whether folks would take much interest in going to the expense of having it shipped and a transfer, etc I'm guessing.

If he had some interesting/collectible, etc stuff it shouldn't be a problem to get people to do that. If he had common stuff that can be purchased cheap, locally then not so much.

That is kind of what I’m thinking. She showed me his EDC, a FNX40. Nice piece but nothing interesting. The rest of the collection is stashed away...she’s going to get it together as she goes through stuff and let me know what is exactly there. I’m probably inclined to give her a list of fair prices of trade at her local FFL and ballpark of what a fair private party price plus shipping/transfer fee and let her decide what makes most sense. Whether I GB or sell them via INGO, she’s still the one on the hook to get each one packed up and shipped. Since she’ll be the one on the hook to pack and ship, she may look at the return for private party sale vs selling to local dealer and decide it’s not worth it.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Yes.
    Federal law prevents this.
    The seller must transfer them from the state in which they reside.

Cite please. I live in Indiana. My girlfriend lives in Illinois. I have routinely taken guns to her FFL in Illinois and transferred them to her. I even have a signed copy of that FFL's license I can use to have a GB purchase shipped directly there.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Cite please. I live in Indiana. My girlfriend lives in Illinois. I have routinely taken guns to her FFL in Illinois and transferred them to her. I even have a signed copy of that FFL's license I can use to have a GB purchase shipped directly there.

Simply restating what all of the Ingo lawyers say.
    State lines = FFL

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Indeed. There has to be a transfer in the state of the transferee. As long as the firearm gets through the door legally, how it gets there is largely irrelevant.

The confusion here is generated by adding a middleman to do the interstate transport. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from legally transporting your own firearms to ANY FFL and either selling them to said FFL, or having them transferred to a legal resident in the same state as the FFL doing the transfer.

The only thing I have ever been asked for is ID so the FFL can show where it came from before enteting their shop.

From my own experience I would contact an FFL in Indiana and explain what you want to do and see if they will be willing to do it, but there shouldn't be any problems, especially if this is between two free states. A few states have registration schemes where you must be able to prove you have divested yourself of a firearm. OP, where is your Aunt residing?

Top Bottom