• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Has anyone else experienced plastic fouling in their muzzleloaders from using bullets with plastic sabots. I have a CVA Firebolt and after shooting about 50 rounds through it I noticed some fouling that I couldn't get out. It finally dawned on me that it was from the sabots on the Powerbelt bullets. I put a cork in one end of the barrel and filled it with Ed's Red bore cleaner and let it sit for a few days. The acetone in the mix loosened the crud up enough that a brass Bristle brush pushed through took the fouling out of the bore. My bore looks like new again.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've hunted with a Knight Mk85 for a lot of years, never have seen this problem using sabots.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've used Powerbelt bullets in my CVA's for over a decade and I've never had plastic fouling.
    Always wondered about it, but I don't generally shoot magnum loads.
    I like to keep my charges at or just below 100gr for pretty much any wieght bullet I'm pushing.
    I'm also not trying to shoot 200 yards.

YMMV

I also MUCH prefer IMR "White-Hots" over Pyrodex pellets.
    The White Hots burn fast and clean. I can get 3 or 4 shots off before the loading gets tougher.
    I also use Bore Butter, very sparingly.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not familiar with the "Firebolt" model.
    Is it an in-line, or a side-lock?
    Don't know if that would make a difference in the plastic fouling. I know it makes a big difference in the quality of powder burn.
    The side-locks slow down the primer fire, which can retard the main charge a bit.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I've used Powerbelt bullets in my CVA's for over a decade and I've never had plastic fouling.
    Always wondered about it, but I don't generally shoot magnum loads.
    I like to keep my charges at or just below 100gr for pretty much any wieght bullet I'm pushing.
    I'm also not trying to shoot 200 yards.

YMMV

I also MUCH prefer IMR "White-Hots" over Pyrodex pellets.
    The White Hots burn fast and clean. I can get 3 or 4 shots off before the loading gets tougher.
    I also use Bore Butter, very sparingly.

I also use IMR White Hots in my CVA and have had no fouling issues from Sabots. I agree that the White Hots are much cleaner than the Pyrodex (I even tested two muzzleloaders firing the same amount of shots using White Hots vs. Pyrodex and there was a discernable difference). I clean mine with the Barrel Blaster foam spray from CVA IMMEDIATELY after I am done shooting. The Barrel Blaster Foam and a brass wire brush along with some rust preventative patches has kept my barrels nice and clean.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    For you folks who have said you don't have fouling problems, are you shooting 50 rounds before cleaning? Or more pointedly, how many shots do you fire before loading becomes difficult, and/or you clean the barrel?

Thanks

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If you're going 50 shots between cleaning thats definitely your problem.
    I clean my barrel and breech plug after 2-3 shots. At the most 5.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you're going 50 shots between cleaning thats definitely your problem.
    I clean my barrel and breech plug after 2-3 shots. At the most 5.

This right here.
    I bet I've never fired more than a dozen rounds before a good cleaning, and that would be at a range.
    I ALWAYS clean my muzzle loaders within hours of firing the last shot of the session.

DD, I would suggest you try something other than the 3f powder.
    Schockey's Gold is another good choice, or American Pioneer powder sticks.
    All perform better, in my opinion, than Pyrodex, and all mentioned are much cleaner.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Thanks for the advice. I've got a jar of triple 7. Have you ever used it before? The last deer I shot was at 150 yds. I was using Pyrodex and buffalo bullets. I didn't have any issues after using that combination.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I tried Shockey Gold way back, unfortunately it was not consistent in velocities (big variation within jar).
    Cleaned up great.............but I'd rather live with some crud and being able to hit the target.

T7 granulated, FFg equiv for the win.

I ran reg BP in my Knights w MMP sabots and 240 gr bullets too. Cleaned every dozen shots.
    No real plastic buildup.

Actually, real BP and MMP sabots was a good shooting combo in a couple of rigs.
    Then came the substitutes and other maker sabots........and things got to be a PITA.
    Never a magnum load, just 100gr..............be it 240gr in sabot, roundball (sidehammer 1 in 48 twist rigs) or .275 to 385 gr conicals (the latter a real cheek buster in a Hawken.......but it's meaner on deer).

Have not tried the newer magnum inlines................seems like folks have way more issues. Not sure the supposed added range worth the hassle.
    Am content w 150 yard and in stuff.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, anybody think stainless bbls to foul more than blued steel?
    My Hawken Silver Elite was a PITA.
    My other TC sidehammers and Knight inlines were good shooters without any headaches.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I still have a TC Renegade in .54, killed a lot of deer with it. I've always used BP or Pyrodex with R.E.A.L. bullets. Have never had an issue with it. Think I prefer it over the Inlines.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    For you folks who have said you don't have fouling problems, are you shooting 50 rounds before cleaning? Or more pointedly, how many shots do you fire before loading becomes difficult, and/or you clean the barrel?

Thanks

I shoot once, then run wet patch for quick clean, then dry patch. Load and start the process over again. I have never shot 50 times in one day from a muzzle loader. That would take quite a while. But I have probably shot 25 to 30 times in an afternoon. Then immediately after I am done shooting I break it down and do a full thorough cleaning.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The feature I like most about my CVA inlines are the removable breech plug.
    Cleanup is a breeze, and it's very easy to unload without firing.

I've had closed breech muzzle loaders in the past. I'm done with them.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    The feature I like most about my CVA inlines are the removable breech plug.
    Cleanup is a breeze, and it's very easy to unload without firing.

I've had closed breech muzzle loaders in the past. I'm done with them.

Yeah, I love my CVA Wolf. Low cost and deadly accurate. Got mine a few years back from Buds for $170 and free shipping. One of my sons won the 4-H Youth Muzzleloader contest with it (iron sights). I do like the old percussion Hawkens too though. But for inlines I go with CVA.

Top Bottom