Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Plastic Fouling from using saboted bullets

Has anyone else experienced plastic fouling in their muzzleloaders from using bullets with plastic sabots. I have a CVA Firebolt and after shooting about 50 rounds through it I noticed some fouling that I couldn't get out. It finally dawned on me that it was from the sabots on the Powerbelt bullets. I put a cork in one end of the barrel and filled it with Ed's Red bore cleaner and let it sit for a few days. The acetone in the mix loosened the crud up enough that a brass Bristle brush pushed through took the fouling out of the bore. My bore looks like new again.

User Info Menu

I've hunted with a Knight Mk85 for a lot of years, never have seen this problem using sabots.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I've used Powerbelt bullets in my CVA's for over a decade and I've never had plastic fouling.
    Always wondered about it, but I don't generally shoot magnum loads.
    I like to keep my charges at or just below 100gr for pretty much any wieght bullet I'm pushing.
    I'm also not trying to shoot 200 yards.

YMMV

I also MUCH prefer IMR "White-Hots" over Pyrodex pellets.
    The White Hots burn fast and clean. I can get 3 or 4 shots off before the loading gets tougher.
    I also use Bore Butter, very sparingly.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I'm not familiar with the "Firebolt" model.
    Is it an in-line, or a side-lock?
    Don't know if that would make a difference in the plastic fouling. I know it makes a big difference in the quality of powder burn.
    The side-locks slow down the primer fire, which can retard the main charge a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    I've used Powerbelt bullets in my CVA's for over a decade and I've never had plastic fouling.
    Always wondered about it, but I don't generally shoot magnum loads.
    I like to keep my charges at or just below 100gr for pretty much any wieght bullet I'm pushing.
    I'm also not trying to shoot 200 yards.

YMMV

I also MUCH prefer IMR "White-Hots" over Pyrodex pellets.
    The White Hots burn fast and clean. I can get 3 or 4 shots off before the loading gets tougher.
    I also use Bore Butter, very sparingly.
    I also use IMR White Hots in my CVA and have had no fouling issues from Sabots. I agree that the White Hots are much cleaner than the Pyrodex (I even tested two muzzleloaders firing the same amount of shots using White Hots vs. Pyrodex and there was a discernable difference). I clean mine with the Barrel Blaster foam spray from CVA IMMEDIATELY after I am done shooting. The Barrel Blaster Foam and a brass wire brush along with some rust preventative patches has kept my barrels nice and clean.

Plinker

User Info Menu

The Firebolt is an inline. I've been using 100gr. Three f black powder.

Expert

User Info Menu

For you folks who have said you don't have fouling problems, are you shooting 50 rounds before cleaning? Or more pointedly, how many shots do you fire before loading becomes difficult, and/or you clean the barrel?

Thanks

User Info Menu

If you're going 50 shots between cleaning thats definitely your problem.
    I clean my barrel and breech plug after 2-3 shots. At the most 5.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d.kaufman View Post
    If you're going 50 shots between cleaning thats definitely your problem.
    I clean my barrel and breech plug after 2-3 shots. At the most 5.
    This right here.
    I bet I've never fired more than a dozen rounds before a good cleaning, and that would be at a range.
    I ALWAYS clean my muzzle loaders within hours of firing the last shot of the session.

DD, I would suggest you try something other than the 3f powder.
    Schockey's Gold is another good choice, or American Pioneer powder sticks.
    All perform better, in my opinion, than Pyrodex, and all mentioned are much cleaner.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice. I've got a jar of triple 7. Have you ever used it before? The last deer I shot was at 150 yds. I was using Pyrodex and buffalo bullets. I didn't have any issues after using that combination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast