What is the best form of payment for an online purchase from out-of-state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fiddle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Fishers
    I have come to an agreement with a guy who posted his revolver on ARMSLIST and am ready to make payment. He mentioned that his preferred method of payment is PAYPAL and I have not responded yet.

The purchase of firearms violates the PAYPAL policies so I would have no recourse should I not receive the item as described.

Does anyone have a recommendation for me?

thanks

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You can also protect yourself with a USPS Money Order. It'll cost a few bucks - but it'll help protect both the buyer and the seller.

Fiddle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Fishers
    Thanks for the suggestion.

The max money order is $1000. I am buying 1 (maybe 2) Colt Pythons and will need more than that.

Is there any electronic payment suggestions?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    In this age of the scam, I wouldn't have this issue. First, I'm not buying guns sight-unseen from an unknown private individual. Second, the larger the amount of money, the more leery I'd be. Third, he wants you to use a method of payment which leaves you no recourse if you never receive the items in question or they are not as advertised. Fourth, I know lots of guys do but I won't buy a gun online from any source. Hope it works out for you.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    To buy a Python is a big ticket item. Dont think I would risk it from a individual. To add insult to injury it is a used gun so condition is subjective......

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Anyone who asks you to use paypal for Gun purchase is s little shady imho.

You might buy one at a time to limit your exposure. The extra shipping cost may be worth it.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    In this age of the scam, I wouldn't have this issue. First, I'm not buying guns sight-unseen from an unknown private individual. Second, the larger the amount of money, the more leery I'd be. Third, he wants you to use a method of payment which leaves you no recourse if you never receive the items in question or they are not as advertised. Fourth, I know lots of guys do but I won't buy a gun online from any source. Hope it works out for you.

^^^

this, in a nutshell.

i very,very rarely buy anything i cant lay my grubby hands on.

i havent bought anything using paypal for over 15 years, and that was a couple random ebay purchases..

:cheers:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I've seen armlist scams just like on Craigslist. One was a Smith and Wesson 61O that I bif on on GB. Guy had same pics and description selling for $8OO less than it bid for. Called the guy he was a Mexican in Texas, wire PayPal to his cousin kinda deal.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Please do your due diligence before sending payment. I don't think you will get your money back no matter how you pay. Did you get a phone number and call the person? Ask for his address and if he owns his house, you should be able to verify that through tax records at his county web site. Is he asking to send payment to a po box? How is he gonna ship these items? Sorry to be so skeptical, I hope everything works out for you.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've been using PayPal for years and as long as you don't pay "as a gift" then you're 100% covered by PayPal. I've been scammed and have gotten my money back each time per PayPal's buyer protection policy. I don't pay any other way if PayPal is offered as a payment option. Been scammed sending MO's too, never saw a cent back from those. PayPal FTW.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've been using PayPal for years and as long as you don't pay "as a gift" then you're 100% covered by PayPal. I've been scammed and have gotten my money back each time per PayPal's buyer protection policy. I don't pay any other way if PayPal is offered as a payment option. Been scammed sending MO's too, never saw a cent back from those. PayPal FTW.

Even when completely violating their terms (aka, no gun purchases)?

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    First, Pythons are one of the largest scam listings on armslist. Second only to Polytech legends. If these Pythons are a great deal they are probably scams.

Second, Money orders do not offer any real protection. In my experience, the amount you will get scammed out of will not be enough for the police or the post office to care. If scammers were not getting paid or if they were getting arrested there wouldn’t be so many of them. PayPal may offer some protection if you don’t use the gift option but since you are violating their terms of service I can’t imagine how helpful they will be.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    Even when completely violating their terms (aka, no gun purchases)?

Now that I think about it I've never used Paypal for a complete firearm, just multiple parts to build them. I have purchased and sold over 100 Paintball "guns" (markers) using Paypal and have filed claims for a few of them, sketchy scammers, without any issues and have been refunded in full. Kind of a grey area there, as we all know paintball guns aren't guns or firearms at all, but they do come with that label as being a "gun". :dunno:

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    Hate to say, but this feels like a scam. Seller may now have a second python to sell. Probably made you a great deal for both also. Way to much risk here. Can't physically see the handgun, for true condition. Issues with a recourse if sale goes south to re-coup your funds. Distance between the seller and you. Do you have a dealer set who will accept a transfer from a non-FFL from out of state. To much risk with this sale for me. Don't want to downer, but be weary. Good luck.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Yep, don't use Friends and Family, you also can use a MasterCard or Visa and get protection for being ripped off.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Do a search on rmslist, if that gun shows up in multi adds.....scam.......spend a few more bucks and buy in person....buy off gun broker.....

Top Bottom