• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So the NRA has been backing and negotiating with our gun rights for the last few years and have had some spectacular blunders that have ended up turning their move into strong anti 2a rulings or decision making. There are more states with California esque gun control laws on the books now more than any other time.

So at what point can the membership take back control of our organization and what is the most effective way to enact our will? I have already written them explaining why I will not donate to them, with no response. I'll continue mailing the donation cards back to them empty with a letter expressing my issues with them. I have changed GOA into my monthly freedom tithe completely over the nra.

So the real question is what do we do with the NRA? How do we turn fudd members into actual 2a supporters? How do we push them to stop funding "thin blue line" programs with our money donated with intent of stopping gun control, at a time when police are actively enforcing unconstitutional confiscations? how do we stop them from giving incorrect grades to politicians who actually support gun control measures?

I don't want to abandon the NRA, but it seems like it has lost it's course and will soon be twisting the 2a to be about hunting and not a force check and balance against tyranny in the homeland. Will voting board members in that have a not another inch mentality do the job or do we need to push to remove the cancerous corporate heads?

Prowler28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Get rid of LaPierre, for one. Also, one thing I should mention is that Adam Kraut is running for the board and so on. Problem is that I have a VERY difficult time believing that he does not know he would still be powerless on the board. He knows very well that they have no power and ultimate say in the organization— yet he still runs on change. I don't trust him.

That's my two cents.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Adam Kraut would be a fine addition to the board. It's going to take a whole new generation of new blood in the NRA to change the course of the ship. I wish him the best of luck and send my votes his way, but he's going to need help.

I'm stopped supporting the NRA and I've been spending my $$ with the GOA.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm a lifetime member of the NRA (I have been for 23 years). But their kowtowing to any gun-grabbing politician with an R by their name is completely absurd. If you listen to the left, the NRA runs the Republican party, but more and more it seems like the Republicans run the NRA... which means that rather than being a single issue civil rights group, which is what it is supposed to be, it's another arm of the super corrupt GOP. I've seen the NRA refuse to support pro-gun 3rd party candidates and independents, even when there is no Republican in the race, against an F rated Democrat. What the hell message are they sending there? That it actually doesn't matter what your position on guns is, it only matters what the letter after your name is. That is how we get right where we are, with a Republican President pushing for more unconstitutional gun control with the tacit approval of the NRA.

I just became a monthly support member of the GOA because of their promise to sue if this stupid bump-stock ban moves forward.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    GOA all the way. GOA all the way. GOA all the way. GOA all the way. GOA all the way. GOA all the way. GOA all the way. GOA all the way. GOA all the way. GOA all the way.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I am going to make a suggestion, which may not be popular but I'll stick my neck out anyway...

First, read about the history of the NRA, and especially the 1977 revolt at the NRA convention. I'll post some links with a variety of views.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c28d427d438a

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...hin-national-rifle-association-led/404628002/

and finally from the Naval Postgraduate School what I believe is a less sensationalized version of history, https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a445384.pdf

The NRA was formed post Civil War with the recognition that there was a staggering lack of marksmanship displayed in our military. For the first century of the organization's existence there was not a serious threat to the 2nd Amendment. The threats and abuses which did occur were often accepted by society.

The NRA as structured during its first 50 to 75 years functioned well and performed great service to the nation. The nation was however predominantly non-urban and the culture generally saw nothing ill in a juvenile carrying a firearm to school, or hunting on the way home. These were simply normal and accepted practices in much of the nation, and often a necessity.

As the nation urbanized, and especially with as the unintended effects of prohibition came in to effect, the rise in violent urban crime and gang crime coupled with a growing rapid communications means supported a societal acceptance to "do something". Eventually "do something" became the NFA. The NRA did little as to the management and board structure such restrictions did little to effect their members.

Leap forward 40 more years, and the intervening wars, political changes, and ultimately the GCA set the stage for a younger more politically active and determined membership to take action to save the 2nd Amendment from what enough members felt was an existential threat which was not being addressed by the existing leadership.

As always, those in power want more power, and to retain power. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Much of what was accomplished at the 1977 convention has to some extent been lost.

With new and old threats clearly focused not only on the 2nd Amendment but also the supporters of the 2nd Amendment some of the NRA membership believe a new "1977" needs to occur. Unfortunately, this requires enough Board members to change not only the full time power positions of the NRA, but also some of the business relationships.

Much as with our Federal and State governments, if you want change, vote!

I do urge members to remember however; that while preservation of the 2nd Amendment is necessary to retain the core purpose of NRA, it is not in and of itself the purpose for which the NRA was formed as, an organization that promoted rifle shooting on a scientific basis.

While I laud the NRA for much of what they have historically done, there have been costly missteps. My greatest regret is that over the preceding two years of a more 2nd Amendment friendly Congress, firearms safety and marksmanship training was not tied to public school funding. The "fight" would end with a solid generation who were properly introduced to firearms and marksmanship. My simple method for enticing "the left" to participate was to urge my Congresscritters to amend the Selective Service act to require those who had not met a safety and marksmanship standard by the date of registration to be called first if the Draft was initiated. (I'll let the reader ponder how the snowflakes would react to that sort of choice...)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sadly, you have to hunt around to find leadership, political, religious, or economic that's really interested in ordinary people having guns. Most of those you do find are in it for your support, but it's again not their main issue. We do the best we can with what we have.

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The NRA cannot enact legislation. That occurs in the Local, State and Federal legislatures. The NRA does send recommendations before the elections. It is our job to try and elect the people we need to protect our rights. That takes some research and study, but if they don't win it doesn't matter. The country is shifting to a more urban way of thinking and the education system is part of that problem, as well as the media. If we did not have the NRA all would have been lost by now. It is not looking good for gun owners. We will be in the minority and politicians will do as they please. Just my thoughts.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I don't plan to rescind my membership, but I think as a "shareholder" we should be heard. I don't know how we do that, other than moving to GOA completely and abandoning the infrastructure that the NRA has. The NRA has major sway politically because it actively endorses and directly engages voters, losing your NRA grade can be a death sentence for a legislator, or can build you out of nowhere just by having your name on the orange card that gets mailed to all members. We need the NRA to hold politicians more accountable, Trump should be a C or F rating for his active role in implementing gun control and his lack of support to states in crisis over California style gun laws. But the NRA leadership is licking the trump boot clean, I don't understand. The NRA is also actively working against constitutional carry in states that require an NRA course to carry. We need to remove these individuals and put the NRA back on course.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Within the last few years American Rifleman has turned into "Republicans good! Democrats evil!", magazine. Part of that is due to, yeah, R & D have really moved to their corners and there's very little that cross the isle on this issue. The other part is that FUDD gets votes. Personally, I find it distasteful. I'd rather they stick to core mandate (i.e. guns), rather than focusing on ANTIFA, SJW's, immigration, etc.

Now, that's what we, the members see.

What we don't see is all the lobbying being done on our behalf in DC. Is the NRA winning there? It certainly seems so. Given the highly visible incidents and the inevitable screams for gun control that have followed, nothing really substantial has happened at a national level. And that's nothing short of remarkable.

Where you do see gun control enacted is in solidly blue states like NY, MA, CA, etc. And it's wrong to lay the blame at the the doorstep of the blue glass building in Fairfax. Given the solidly anti-gun legislators in those states, and the support of the general population, what do you want them to do?

As to the GOA, they're 40 years old - can't they share part of the blame too?

I don't plan to rescind my membership, but I think as a "shareholder" we should be heard. I don't know how we do that, ....
    Do you vote on the NRA ballot? Do you choose solidly Pro-2A candidates or just choose people that are celebrities?

You're a member - there's ways to be heard... although recent changes to the bylaws made it harder...

The ghost of Harlan Carter compels you to fight for the NRA! :cool:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let's not forget the NRA seems to ignore certain instances that one would think they would at least make a comment on, concerning citizen's rights.
    You have the security guard who was smoked, after stopping a shooting...
    and that poor guy who got smoked in a mall in Alabama, during a shooting, simply because he was seen with a gun...
    and Castile, we're still waiting on that response...

The NRA doesn't appeal to me, because I don't see it as taking an interest in ALL people's 2A rights.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Within the last few years American Rifleman has turned into "Republicans good! Democrats evil!", magazine. Part of that is due to, yeah, R & D have really moved to their corners and there's very little that cross the isle on this issue. The other part is that FUDD gets votes. Personally, I find it distasteful. I'd rather they stick to core mandate (i.e. guns), rather than focusing on ANTIFA, SJW's, immigration, etc.

Now, that's what we, the members see.

What we don't see is all the lobbying being done on our behalf in DC. Is the NRA winning there? It certainly seems so. Given the highly visible incidents and the inevitable screams for gun control that have followed, nothing really substantial has happened at a national level. And that's nothing short of remarkable.

Where you do see gun control enacted is in solidly blue states like NY, MA, CA, etc. And it's wrong to lay the blame at the the doorstep of the blue glass building in Fairfax. Given the solidly anti-gun legislators in those states, and the support of the general population, what do you want them to do?

As to the GOA, they're 40 years old - can't they share part of the blame too?

Do you vote on the NRA ballot? Do you choose solidly Pro-2A candidates or just choose people that are celebrities?

You're a member - there's ways to be heard... although recent changes to the bylaws made it harder...

The ghost of Harlan Carter compels you to fight for the NRA! :cool:

My problem with recent NRA is the loss of focus on fighting gun control and bordering support of some common sense gun control measures. i.e. giving up bump stocks, fighting texas to keep nra classes mandatory for carry permits etc... The organization seems to be getting very top heavy, and that is something I have a major problem with as a non profit. I don't see them pushing for nfa repeal, I see money getting spent on police officer programs (explain this one, it is not a police booster club), I see some major issues with interpretation of the 2a leaning toward a more fuddtastic hunting approach, it goes on... I don't see the GOA negotiating with our rights, their lawyers and lobbyists are hardline not another inchers, unlike the conformist friendly nra lobbyists who actively find middle ground that is really just losing ground on our side and giving ground to the anti 2a's. The NRA has yet to publicly rebuke trump's effort in executive order based gun control, and that is my main issue with them right now vs. GOA. GOA also doesn't have charity programs for nonaffiliated groups (such as policemen).

https://www.nrastore.com/nra-thin-blue-line-t-shirt I mean, we are living in a time in American history where police are actively and forcefully removing firearms rights without due process from citizens whom legally own their firearms. I'm sorry, until I see a change in law enforcement's stance on upholding their oath to the constitution over their blue leaders whims, I don't back the blue. I don't have malice towards law enforcement, but you won't find me supporting any leo based organizations until they stop moving into a gun grabbing force. New Jersey police are basically standing by to start door to door confiscations, boulder police are gearing up to go seize unregistered firearms in the new year, but still the NRA has a strong blind blue line support attitude.... How does that make sense?

These are just the easy problems to find within the current NRA and it is easy to see how it could go from a force for freedom, to a force promoting oppression and confiscation.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    LaPierre needs to go, and having Oliver North on the staff period is an absolute disgrace, let alone as president. Loesch needs to go, her unhinged vaguely terroristic rantings have been a disaster for the organization's credibility.

It's time for the geriatric old fudds to GTFO. The NRA needs a president less than 70 years old, and preferably one without felony indictments for running guns to central American death squads.

The NRA has been acting as managed opposition to the gun-grabbers, while disgracing themselves with racist dogwhistling and unsolicited commentary outside their lane. They're getting outspent left and right by anti-gun billionaires who are racking up victories in formerly free states like Colorado and Washington. The situation is growing dire and the NRA is still stuck in their old fudd ways. What 20-something shooter wants to be associated with the NRA in this day and age? They consistently back down on defending our rights while embarrassing us by making us all look like racist old coots. The hell has the NRA done for me lately?

The bums, throw them out.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    LaPierre needs to go, and having Oliver North on the staff period is an absolute disgrace, let alone as president. Loesch needs to go, her unhinged vaguely terroristic rantings have been a disaster for the organization's credibility.

It's time for the geriatric old fudds to GTFO. The NRA needs a president less than 70 years old, and preferably one without felony indictments for running guns to central American death squads.

The NRA has been acting as managed opposition to the gun-grabbers, while disgracing themselves with racist dogwhistling and unsolicited commentary outside their lane. They're getting outspent left and right by anti-gun billionaires who are racking up victories in formerly free states like Colorado and Washington. The situation is growing dire and the NRA is still stuck in their old fudd ways. What 20-something shooter wants to be associated with the NRA in this day and age? They consistently back down on defending our rights while embarrassing us by making us all look like racist old coots. The hell has the NRA done for me lately?

The bums, throw them out.

Borther?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    So the NRA has been backing and negotiating with our gun rights for the last few years and have had some spectacular blunders that have ended up turning their move into strong anti 2a rulings or decision making. There are more states with California esque gun control laws on the books now more than any other time.

So at what point can the membership take back control of our organization and what is the most effective way to enact our will? I have already written them explaining why I will not donate to them, with no response. I'll continue mailing the donation cards back to them empty with a letter expressing my issues with them. I have changed GOA into my monthly freedom tithe completely over the nra.

So the real question is what do we do with the NRA? How do we turn fudd members into actual 2a supporters? How do we push them to stop funding "thin blue line" programs with our money donated with intent of stopping gun control, at a time when police are actively enforcing unconstitutional confiscations? how do we stop them from giving incorrect grades to politicians who actually support gun control measures?

I don't want to abandon the NRA, but it seems like it has lost it's course and will soon be twisting the 2a to be about hunting and not a force check and balance against tyranny in the homeland. Will voting board members in that have a not another inch mentality do the job or do we need to push to remove the cancerous corporate heads?

Sorry to see this so late but does anyone specifically what anti gun things they have done in the past 3 years?

Top Bottom