• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    Im looking for the video by an ex leo on what to do when pulled over, exercising your rights etc. Thought it was a sticky here. As I recall was a bit lengthy. Touched on subjects like only opening window an inch to pass license thru, not talking to them and incriminating yourself. Not surrendering rights to search etc.

Thank you in advance

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Don't worry, VUPDblue, we all know you are one of the good ones. :laugh:

lolz, that may be so, but if you end up getting stopped by me and you pull that 'crack the window an inch and remain totally silent' BS, you're getting a ticket, no questions asked. just be cordial and respectful and as long as there are no shenanigans afoot, you'll be on your way.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    lolz, that may be so, but if you end up getting stopped by me and you pull that 'crack the window an inch and remain totally silent' BS, you're getting a ticket, no questions asked. just be cordial and respectful and as long as there are no shenanigans afoot, you'll be on your way.

As long as you are pulling people over for legit traffic infractions and not fishing expeditions ("Is that mary jane I smell?"), then I don't see an issue with it. If I'm speeding or otherwise driving dangerously, give me a ticket.

Now, given that I've been pulled over in Carmel for "taking a wide left turn" on a green arrow and pulled over by no less than 3 cruisers in Silverton, Ohio for supposedly turning left on another green left arrow without signaling a turn (when both were really because I was driving a beat up 1991 White Cadillac Deville at the time, aka a 'ghetto sled'), I'm also perfectly aware that legit traffic infractions aren't always the reason that police pull people over. Surprisingly, when I purchased a new vehicle that didn't stand out so much in lily white places like Carmel or Silverton, I stopped getting randomly pulled over.

Must be that my driving improved. :cool:

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I’ve been pulled over a few times. I always roll my window down and leave my hands on the steering wheel until instructed otherwise. I know I don’t have to but I always inform that I’m carrying as well. Never been disarmed and even had a few laughs about it after. Always be courteous is a good rule as well. I’ve received two tickets and both were from state troopers and well deserved. A few I should have gotten tickets and I believe my behavior towards the officer got me out of it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Not that I get pulled over very often, but I will always roll my window down all the way no matter what the weather is doing. I had a couple young Air Force Cops as neighbors when I was at a Radar site in Iceland. If the Cop is standing out in the rain checking IDs at the gate? Deal with it and roll down your window. That stuck with me. Besides, if I'm in your patrol area VUPD? My wife will be driving.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Cops like to know where your gun is so you should always hold it out the window as they walk up or just throw it up on the dash. :rolleyes:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I’ve been pulled over a few times. I always roll my window down and leave my hands on the steering wheel until instructed otherwise.

^^^This but I have my DL, Reg, and Ins in one of my hands on the wheel.
    IF I am carrying, I present my LTCH with the other docs and let the questions begin.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ^^^This but I have my DL, Reg, and Ins in one of my hands on the wheel.
    IF I am carrying, I present my LTCH with the other docs and let the questions begin.

Lolz.

I always inform the officer I brushed my teeth that morning.

I always love exalting in my status as a "good guy." It's not required by law, but it never hurts, right?

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Lolz.
    I always inform the officer I brushed my teeth that morning.
    I always love exalting in my status as a "good guy." It's not required by law, but it never hurts, right?

KMA. I live in Carmel, and with my looks...I get profiled heavily. I have been pulled over many times here for BS.
    EG: Telling me that my plate came up as invalid in the system. When I inquired invalid how? The response was "something is wrong in the vehicle registration system and I need to go the the BMV to get it fixed." Issues me a warning.
    I go to the BMV, they tell me nothing is wrong and that the officer must have been mistaken.

I go to the Carmel PD and speak with the SGT on duty. I ask why I got a warning. He tells me nothing is wrong but the officer "thought something was wrong."
    This is plain and simple profiling and borderline on harassment.
    Bottom line is...I give these a$$hats as little reason as possible to ever pull me over. And when they do...see above.

EDIT: TSA used to profile me heavily too..until I got Global Entry (which includes TSA-Pre.)
    TSA=Thousands Standing Around.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    +1 for the Trafalgar officer I met today!

He turned on me while I was zipping across 252 to meet an INGOer in Indy for a trade.

Very nice guy. Advised me to keep hands on the wheel, while he checked my driver's license and pink card. Told me to be more careful and Merry Christmas. :patriot:

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    VUPDblue..issue any tickets I earned..just dont think you can violate my rights or that I will surrender ANY of them at any time.
    I dont play that boot licking game or tolerate officers that think laws dont apply to them. Thats all.

FYI, im clean. Havent had a ticket in over a decade. Majored in Conservation Law at VU. Brother in law was a US Marshall..RIP

I respect those that act respectable

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm all for being respectful and calm... I don't inform unless I am being asked to exit the vehicle... just to avoid any possible issues. The officer is in no danger from me unless his actions warrant actions from me.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    VUPDblue..issue any tickets I earned..just dont think you can violate my rights or that I will surrender ANY of them at any time.
    I dont play that boot licking game or tolerate officers that think laws dont apply to them. Thats all.

FYI, im clean. Havent had a ticket in over a decade. Majored in Conservation Law at VU. Brother in law was a US Marshall..RIP

I respect those that act respectable

Exactly what laws are you referring to?

Top Bottom