• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I had one years ago and let it go and now I have been given the green light from the boss to get another. Not picking on which as I don't plan to go into the magnum area so either frame will work but my question is does any stores around central Indiana carry them? I would like to look, hold, fondle, etc a few configurations to decide which I want (handgun/rifle - wood/synthetic - etc.)

Also, if you have one to sell please PM me details :-)

Thanks

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    If you get the ENCORE PISTOL you have a LOT more versatility , I took my ENCORE PISTOL and added a flash hider to make barrel 16 1/2 inches and them was able to get a shoulder stock, I can still shoot as pistol for coyotes in .223 or switch barrels to 308 and use for deer with stock.You MAY want to go to magnum calibers at some point.Better to have stronger frame and not need it, then needing a stronger frame and not have it.You cant convert a rifle frame to a pistol, if they check, you will get burned.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    If you get the ENCORE PISTOL you have a LOT more versatility , I took my ENCORE PISTOL and added a flash hider to make barrel 16 1/2 inches and them was able to get a shoulder stock, I can still shoot as pistol for coyotes in .223 or switch barrels to 308 and use for deer with stock.You MAY want to go to magnum calibers at some point.Better to have stronger frame and not need it, then needing a stronger frame and not have it.You cant convert a rifle frame to a pistol, if they check, you will get burned.

Is there really a difference in frames (pistol vs. rifle) or is it more the paperwork side (like ARs) depends on what you write down as to what it is? I really want both options so if I can go back and forth on 1 frame that is ideal. Thx

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

I believe adding the stock would require a sbr stamp. Like adding a Rami butt stock to a pistol.

Last edited:

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    You can go back and forth, just make sure your barrel is 16" when using s stock or you need a stamp.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Its more a paperwork issue I believe, how it was originally sold when new.If you want to go back and forth, you would want a PISTOL FRAME, DEFINITLY.If you find a pistol frame, get it quick because I am looking for a ENCORE PISTOL FRAME ALSO, LOL.Last crown point gun show, all I could find was a few barrels for sale.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    All of the original Contender receivers are considered pistol frames, but the Encore and G2 Contender are a rifle or pistol from the factory. T/C does not offer a non designated frame.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    You'll need a form 1 to build a sbr from a pistol. Once you engrave the lower reciever and get your stamp then you can posess and put a buttstock on it. An sbr has a shorter barrel than 16". The lower reciever is taxed with the $200 stamp. Then you can make it whatever size you want with or without a buttstock. Just make sure you can put it back to original configuartion that your form 1 says for caliber and length. Shorter than 16" without a buttstock is a pistol and doesn't need a stamp. A suppressor will require an additional stamp.

Short-barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm, made from a rifle, with a barrel length of less than 16 in (41 cm) or overall length of less than 26 in (66 cm), or a handgun fitted with a buttstock and a barrel of less than 16 inches length.

Last edited:

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    You'll need a form 1 to build a sbr from a pistol. Once you engrave the lower reciever and get your stamp then you can posess and put a buttstock on it. An sbr has a shorter barrel than 16". The lower reciever is taxed with the $200 stamp. Then you can make it whatever size you want with or without a buttstock. Just make sure you can put it back to original configuartion that your form 1 says for caliber and length. Shorter than 16" without a buttstock is a pistol and doesn't need a stamp. A suppressor will require an additional stamp.

Short-barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm, made from a rifle, with a barrel length of less than 16 in (41 cm) or overall length of less than 26 in (66 cm), or a handgun fitted with a buttstock and a barrel of less than 16 inches length.

Thanks I have numerous tax stamps, SBR and other NFA items so well aware of these rules and definitions. I was specifically asking if you "could" use a single frame for both purposes. It appears there is a call out for T/C to go back and forth (SBR as defined not withstanding)

Thanks everyone...now to find one. It is looking like I will be ordering one online as even T/C doesn't show a central Indiana dealer.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Haus of Arms, Bellm TC's, EABCO are your best choices for buying a new frame. All of them also offer trigger and spring upgrades at the time of purchase as well.

I check Gunbroker regularly and noticed a user yesterday with several original Contender frames with buy it now prices from $225 to $275. One thing to take into consideration with the original Contender frames is getting a serial number above 195K, because that is when they changed the location of the pin that the trigger guard pivots on to unlock the barrel making it easier to open. I have several early frames, but they work best with the early barrels I collect. Welcome back to the T/C sickness. It's as bad as the CZ Sickness on here, but we just don't talk about it as much.

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove

Or, unless I am out of the loop on a more recent change, you do it like the AR people and put a pistol brace on it. Here is my 14" 6.5 TCU with a Choate M4 grip and Shockwave Blade.

zkxRaoAl.jpg

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    See them on Armslist all the time

Haus of Arms, Bellm TC's, EABCO are your best choices for buying a new frame. All of them also offer trigger and spring upgrades at the time of purchase as well.

I check Gunbroker regularly and noticed a user yesterday with several original Contender frames with buy it now prices from $225 to $275. One thing to take into consideration with the original Contender frames is getting a serial number above 195K, because that is when they changed the location of the pin that the trigger guard pivots on to unlock the barrel making it easier to open. I have several early frames, but they work best with the early barrels I collect. Welcome back to the T/C sickness. It's as bad as the CZ Sickness on here, but we just don't talk about it as much.

There is one wearing a 22LR barrel at Indy Gun Bunker 8priced in the 400s.

Thanks Guys...I will definitely look at all the options and see what kinda options are out there. I appreciate all the help.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    There was a guy at the Kokomo gun show that had a great assortment of frames and barrels. I don't attend that show enough to know if he is always their or not. But I don't think I'd ever seen so many Contenders in one place.

Dad had one. It had a excellent trigger.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Kentuckiana Reloading in Clarksville, Indiana has one in .357, less than $600 I think, don’t quote me on that.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You should notice on GB that most of the non G2 frames getting bids around 250 bucks, are of the older type (non easy open).
    TC used to retro non easy open for $55.
    Haven't offered that service for a long time.
    Don't think I've seen a frame w the extra hole ;)

So people are paying around 250 plus shipping plus transfer.
    Looking at 300 bucks for a non easy open frame.
    Crazy.

BTW, they did make .22rf barrels for Encores.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom