• ...and so much more!
  • rd-kmg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Monroe County
    Link to article in Indiana Lawyer

"[FONT=&amp]An Evansville man has been sentenced to 30 months in prison for the death of a neighbor who was killed when a bullet traveled through an apartment wall.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]. . .
    [FONT=&amp]"Police say Abreu and a woman were arguing when he fired a gun last June. Bittler’s husband returned home from an errand and found her shot in the chest. She died at a hospital."[/FONT]

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wait, am I missing something here? The two of them were arguing, the guy shoots through the wall and hits her, she dies and he only gets 30 months?

When I first heard about this I thought it was something like a ND.

Guy purposefully lets a round fly at a neighbor and it kills her, how the hell does he only get 30 months?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I think this is a very light sentence. He intentionally fired his weapon. If it had been an honest to God ND then I could see some leniency, but this was intentional. Should probably have thrown intimidation with a firearm and attempted murder for the wife as well.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think you are. The guy was arguing with his wife in one apartment. He fired a round into the wall and killed a different woman in the apartment next door, apparently without knowing it. The dead woman was discovered by her husband when he returned home.

ETA: More detail here: https://www.courierpress.com/story/...-wall-sentenced-reckless-homicide/2376344002/

Wow, I must be missing something as well. Even if it went down as you described, 30 months hardly seems like a fair sentence.

rd-kmg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Monroe County
    I read the probable cause affidavit; from that I'm guessing they didn't think they could prove that he fired it intentionally, only that it discharged during an argument. :dunno:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Must have been Christmas at the prosecutor's office for him to get off that light.

Top Bottom