• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    For me I have always been an iron sight guy. After looking around for some scopes for my son's GSR it looks like there are some nice mid range scopes for not too much cash. I would like a Henry or Marlin my caliber preferences are one of the following:
    22mag
    17 hmr
    38special/ 357 magnum.

Looks like the ammo cost would be very close for any of the above. The intended use would be small game, pest control and mainly plinking and learning how to use a scope. One of the things I have come across is that many gripe about the lack of a loading gate on the Henry?

Which caliber would be most practical as well
    Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For the calibers listed, you might consider a peep sight.
    I have a couple of Henry's with them and couldn't be happier.
    I have a Marbles brand peep sight on one and a Lyman's on the other.
    Don't know if I really like one better than the other, but the peep sight set-up makes a huge difference for my old eyes.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    If the lack of a load gate bothers you (they are normally not on rimfires anyway), get a Marlin. I had a Weaver K2.5 on my 44 Mag 1894 and really liked it. A compact fixed 4x or smaller would be what I would recommend. You could always go with a Skinner Sight to keep the slick look to the lever and have a nice quality peep.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    If the lack of a load gate bothers you (they are normally not on rimfires anyway), get a Marlin. I had a Weaver K2.5 on my 44 Mag 1894 and really liked it. A compact fixed 4x or smaller would be what I would recommend. You could always go with a Skinner Sight to keep the slick look to the lever and have a nice quality peep.

Load gate doesn't bother me I was just wondering why some people said they didn't like it, perhaps it's a purist thing?

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    For me I have always been an iron sight guy. After looking around for some scopes for my son's GSR it looks like there are some nice mid range scopes for not too much cash. I would like a Henry or Marlin my caliber preferences are one of the following:
    22mag
    17 hmr
    38special/ 357 magnum.

Looks like the ammo cost would be very close for any of the above. The intended use would be small game, pest control and mainly plinking and learning how to use a scope. One of the things I have come across is that many gripe about the lack of a loading gate on the Henry?

Which caliber would be most practical as well
    Thoughts?
    I've got 3 Henry's, a 22lr, 30.30 and 357... love them all.. 22 is by far the best for plinking and really small varmints but 357 is alot of fun:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Marlin 1894.

I like iron sights and tang/peeps, but for serious hunting with my old eyes it's a scope.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Load gate doesn't bother me I was just wondering why some people said they didn't like it, perhaps it's a purist thing?

Its just a lever snob thing.

Not all of those who prefer a loading gate are snobs. I prefer the loading gate because it is an easier and more efficient way to re-load. I do not like to use the Henry style loading system because of the potential of bending the spring rod when I reinsert it after loading. I do have a Winchester 9422 that uses the tube reload system. I can live with it, but I do not like it. Again, the loading gate is easier and more efficient. YMMV, but that is my point of view.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Another thing to remember on tube loaders is NEVER load sharp tip ammo in them.. not as big of deal on low recoil but on something with substantial recoil a pointed tip can act as a firing pin:)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd just suggest going small and light for the scope so as not to mess up the compact handy balance of the little lever guns.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Another thing to remember on tube loaders is NEVER load sharp tip ammo in them.. not as big of deal on low recoil but on something with substantial recoil a pointed tip can act as a firing pin:)

Doesn't necessarily have to have a pointed bullet.

A cowboy action shooting buddy of mine had just loaded his Henry with roundnose cowboy loads, and when he picked it up from the loading table the thumb lever caught on the edge of the table. It snapped like the ball launcher on a pinball machine and set off the rounds in the tube.

Blew the Henry all to hell and his hand with it. He was extremely fortunate that the brunt of the explosion was centered in the palm of his hand. He kept all of his fingers and they all still work.

If you're using a tube loader with a captive spring as opposed to a pull-out tube be warned.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    For small game and pest control, I'd go with the 17HMR (or 22 WMR, but I lke my 17). I have a Leupold VX3 1.5 - 5 on my Henry 17 and really like it on there for varmint hunting at night.

henryrings-S.jpg

The above information about pointed rounds in the tube doesn't apply to rimfire for obvious reasons.

I like my Henrys, but wanted a loading gate when I bought my centerfire rifle, so I went with a Marlin.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    For small game and pest control, I'd go with the 17HMR (or 22 WMR, but I lke my 17). I have a Leupold VX3 1.5 - 5 on my Henry 17 and really like it on there for varmint hunting at night.

henryrings-S.jpg

The above information about pointed rounds in the tube doesn't apply to rimfire for obvious reasons.

I like my Henrys, but wanted a loading gate when I bought my centerfire rifle, so I went with a Marlin.
    You are correct about that not applying to rimfires LOL I guess I should have specified Centerfire :-)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    You are correct about that not applying to rimfires LOL I guess I should have specified Centerfire :-)

I am almost sold on a 17 hmr. I see Henry is offering a small Game model with large lever and a peep sight. Seems like a hard combo to beat.

How far out do you find it to be accurate?

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    If you want to stay "traditional" without a scope "who puts a scope on a lever gun anyway?" go with Skinner Peep Sights. They work great with "Baby Boomer Eyes" even out to 75-100 yards. Just look them up and if you have questions, give them a call.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I am almost sold on a 17 hmr. I see Henry is offering a small Game model with large lever and a peep sight. Seems like a hard combo to beat.

How far out do you find it to be accurate?

If you want to stay "traditional" without a scope "who puts a scope on a lever gun anyway?" go with Skinner Peep Sights. They work great with "Baby Boomer Eyes" even out to 75-100 yards. Just look them up and if you have questions, give them a call.

I have the Henry small game carbine you speak of, only in 22 Mag. It's a handy little rifle that shoots pretty good with the heavier weight magnum rounds. I'd trust it out to 80 yards or so; the 17 HMR would gain you another 50 yards or so, but with a lot lighter bullets, of course.

Scopes on levers? Only if I want to hit what I shoot at. Irons, even peep sights, are a no go for me. The peeps on the Henry are nice, though.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I have the Henry small game carbine you speak of, only in 22 Mag. It's a handy little rifle that shoots pretty good with the heavier weight magnum rounds. I'd trust it out to 80 yards or so; the 17 HMR would gain you another 50 yards or so, but with a lot lighter bullets, of course.

Scopes on levers? Only if I want to hit what I shoot at. Irons, even peep sights, are a no go for me. The peeps on the Henry are nice, though.

I have scopes on 2 of my old Henry's, all 3 of them are track drivers. I inherited them from my father when he died. I was amazed at what awesome pieces of machinery they are.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I have scopes on 2 of my old Henry's, all 3 of them are track drivers. I inherited them from my father when he died. I was amazed at what awesome pieces of machinery they are.

I'm not a fan of the alloy action covers (on the rimfires), but the Henrys are the smoothest actions of all my lever guns, even the ones worth much more.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I'm not a fan of the alloy action covers (on the rimfires), but the Henrys are the smoothest actions of all my lever guns, even the ones worth much more.

The 30.30 dad got when he got out of the navy in I think 1954.. the 357 and 22 are alot newer. He kept them all pristine, I'm betting the 30.30 & 357 have 20 rounds through them combined. The 22, I'm saving to pass down to my daughter when she's old enough

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    The 30.30 dad got when he got out of the navy in I think 1954.. the 357 and 22 are alot newer. He kept them all pristine, I'm betting the 30.30 & 357 have 20 rounds through them combined. The 22, I'm saving to pass down to my daughter when she's old enough

This is the Small Game Rifle in .22 Magnum, with a Leupold scope. I took this photo thinking to send it to Henry to try to get them to release a .17 HM2 version; but never sent it to them. They could do it, right? They have the .17 barrels;

20160626_133234.jpg

Correction: Small Game Carbine:

The wood on mine was nothing extraordinary, but I've seen a few that were. It is quality straight-grain Walnut though. Probably more stable than the fancy stuff.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom