• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Is ammo as critical for lever action and bolt actions? Still debating on calibers looks like Academy has some inexpensive 357 and 38 special ammo it's brass case so I didn't know if just for plinking if it would be ok?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Well, yeah. Still has to chamber and function
    Is this factory fresh or commercial reloads?
    It's probably fine for plinking ammo. the plus with brassed cased is you can reload it yourself, or sell the brass on here

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    It's new factory ammo. I can't make up my mind between 17hmr and 357 magnum levers, was kind of hoping price of ammo would aid in deciding.

In my very limited experience with lever guns (got a .357 last year), some ammo feeds easier than others. Most cheaper .357 bullets have a flat nose compared to something like Leverevolution that has a coned polymer tip. The flat nose sometimes hangs up, but some of that is user error, I'm sure. I absolutely love .357, but I'm fairly certain 17HMR is going to be cheaper to shoot and will have a lot less recoil.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Oh my gosh oh my gosh!!!

.357 and .38's in a lever action can be so awesome wonderful marvelous. And pretty darn good too.
    OK, I'm kinda prejudiced on the subject. But .38's and .357's are like a gateway drug and in this case you should just say "yes".
    You can make good accurate ammo with second hand equipment and bullets molded from whatever scrap you get for freebies.
    Really, I used one press for thirty years after paying fifteen dollars for it.
    .38's in the lever action dropped deadly veggie munching marauding black eared jack rabbits at over a hundred yards (with just enough Alcan #5 powder to coast it in there).
    And loaded to the higher end .357's are just almost a .35 Remington when it comes to stopping deer.

Word of caution for squirrel hunting. If the squirrel drops what he's gnawing on and steps forward as you squeeze off the shot...
    Two separate squirrel halves might hit the ground.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lever guns vary, some like old Winchesters and Uberti repros can be picky about cartridge length.

That said, those same guns will chamber and shoot upside down.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I can't imagine a .17HMR that would be less expensive to shoot than a .38spl/.357mag.
    You can load .38/.357 for next to nothing, and tailor your rounds to the task at hand.

I'm sure someone reloads the .17HMR, but I don't know any of them.
    The .357mag could also be used to hunt deer. The .17HMR is not deer legal anywhere that I'm aware of.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    my henry 44 would NOT load the hornady leverevolution ammo. but would everything else. so I used the first shot as hornady and then follow ups were non ballistic tip ammo. Luckily I only needed the 1 shot anyhow.:):

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Is ammo as critical for lever action and bolt actions? Still debating on calibers looks like Academy has some inexpensive 357 and 38 special ammo it's brass case so I didn't know if just for plinking if it would be ok?

Yes and No! Semi auto rifles and handguns require that the cartridge have a load powder load that will cycle the firearm without damaging the gun Also a max. powder load like +P+ loads (still within pressure limits) can cause the bolt to hammer against the receiver causing excess wear to a semi-auto gun unless the recoil spring is changed. Also a "light" load may not fully cycle the bolt and can cause jams by failing to eject the brass etc. This is not an issue with bolt or lever actions.

HOWEVER, all repeating firearms except revolver styles can have feeding issues with the bullet shape! Depending on the gun feed ramp and bolt design.

I have never had a problem feeding FMJ round nose bullets in any of my firearms from ANY supplier, but many Hollow points and flat nosed bullets (and some pointed bullets) will fail to feed in certain firearms - lever, bolt and semi-auto.

A classic example of this issue is the 1911 handgun. The original 1911's were designed to feed ball ammo and almost all are quite picky and will jam using many hollow point and flat nosed (wad-cutter style bullets). Most custom 1911's have modified feed ramps to allow proper feeding of most bullet shapes.

One other IMPORTANT issue is that a pointed bullet (other than the polymer tipped like the Hornady Leverevolution) should NEVER be used in a tube feed magazine as the recoil of the firearm can cause the tip of the bullet to fire the primer in front of it in the tube!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The recoil from a 38/357 is pretty negligible. I wouldn't let that influence your decision. If ammo cost is any factor I'd stick with the 38/357. As stated above, they're reloadable. .17 is fun, but just not as diverse in its applications.

Top Bottom