• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Yeah, it's coming.

Indiana says that we've been supposed to be paying use tax the whole time, but I don't think many people did.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I noticed a month or 2 ago, an online gun shop was charging tax in Indiana when others were not.

PSA now does as well, not sure when they started but fairly recent.
    Just ordered an AR Pistol kit from PSA on New Years Eve, no tax.
    Midway USA - no tax.

Primary Arms - tax
    Brownells - tax, this was just recently within the last few weeks or so
    Amazon - tax (think that's been for awhile though on products "shipped and sold" by Amazon
    Ebay - some vendors charge tax, obviously private individuals don't

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I believe if the business does 100k in sales to in or 200 transactions, they must collect sales tax. They no longer need a presence to be required to collect in sales tax.

Astro91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2018
    Bloomington
    I believe if the business does 100k in sales to in or 200 transactions, they must collect sales tax. They no longer need a presence to be required to collect in sales tax.

Is that true? I’ve bought from businesses that do over 100k in sales and over 200 transaction easily and not charged sales tax. I haven’t been up to date on my federal/state tax laws though.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    sig sauer's been collecting tax for my purchases for over a year

about 3 years ago, I bought an ar upper from Anderson, I bought it online, with my Indiana address for my account, but when I tried to have it shipped to my work address (in Kentucky) they added sales tax, so I ended up shipping it to my home and saved 20 bucks

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Is that true? I’ve bought from businesses that do over 100k in sales and over 200 transaction easily and not charged sales tax. I haven’t been up to date on my federal/state tax laws though.

This is the new rule. The old rule stated the business needed to have a business presence or "nexus" in the State. The new rule doesn't require nexus.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I can confirm that GrabaGun now charges tax where they didn't in the past.

That's a bummer. GrabaGun and Brownells have been a couple of my favorites.

This is the new rule. The old rule stated the business needed to have a business presence or "nexus" in the State. The new rule doesn't require nexus.

That was my understanding as well, that it is now based on how much business the entity does in/with residents of a state rather than presence. Just wasn't sure what the limits were.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

In South Dakota.

This is a state law issue. Each state will have its own laws about how this is implemented and when it will take effect, assuming it does in each state....which is a virtual certainty. What the exemptions will be in each state, if any, is determined by state law.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    In South Dakota.

This is a state law issue. Each state will have its own laws about how this is implemented and when it will take effect, assuming it does in each state....which is a virtual certainty. What the exemptions will be in each state, if any, is determined by state law.

This will likely increase their costs by having to keep up with each state, costs which will likely be passed on in addition to the sales tax.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    Just ordered an AR Pistol kit from PSA on New Years Eve, no tax.
    Midway USA - no tax.

Primary Arms - tax
    Brownells - tax, this was just recently within the last few weeks or so
    Amazon - tax (think that's been for awhile though on products "shipped and sold" by Amazon
    Ebay - some vendors charge tax, obviously private individuals don't

Midway USA charged me tax on an order I placed yesterday.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    This will likely increase their costs by having to keep up with each state, costs which will likely be passed on in addition to the sales tax.

I can't imagine the headaches involved with setting up a system to withhold and reimburse sales taxes for each state a large online retailer does business in. You'd need tax accounts with each state's Dept of Revenue, computer systems to keep it all straight, digital systems to pay each state, etc ... The biggest players will have no problems (albeit they'll have to pass on the costs), but the medium-sized companies will be at a disadvantage.

I've been expecting this for some time. There was a huge amount of online economic activity not being taxed. Can't have that - it's unAmerican!!

Top Bottom