• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    anymore it’s just as cheap to buy one as it is to build, if you want a project, and are a little mechanically inclined, and want something exactly for you, how you want it, by all means, if not there’s probably something close out there

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I've never saved any money at all building one. A person potentially could, taking advantage of killer deals at PSA and other places, taking your time buying. But I did discover that I really like a full float, smaller diameter, simple shroud (BCM), a very straight pistol grip, certain adjustable stocks, and cerekoting and assembling myself. I even enjoyed milling the lowers out myself before the vertical mill and I were in a terrible canoeing accident, so no more of that no sir. All the stuff I liked (oh yea, don't forget triggers) was not cheap, but then, I don't have a 'cheap' gun, I have something I am proud of. If you don't want to support your LGS you can go to rural king and get one cheaper than building one probably. So it comes down to how you define "bang for the buck".

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Buyers market right now for complete rifles as well as parts. If you enjoy building things yourself, by all means do it. Ive only bought 1 complete ar in my life. The rest i build how i want them. I enjoy doing it. It will cost you more to build your own, especially for the first one, due to buying the necessary tools to do it, unless you already have or have access to them.
    One thing about building them is the fact you learn the complete workings of the rifle, which is never a bad thing.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    They are so cheap right now buy one done. I unfortunately had to take an $800 loss on one and still have one more I'd like to sell or possibly trade. Let me know what you're interested in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've never saved any money at all building one. A person potentially could, taking advantage of killer deals at PSA and other places, taking your time buying. But I did discover that I really like a full float, smaller diameter, simple shroud (BCM), a very straight pistol grip, certain adjustable stocks, and cerekoting and assembling myself. I even enjoyed milling the lowers out myself before the vertical mill and I were in a terrible canoeing accident, so no more of that no sir. All the stuff I liked (oh yea, don't forget triggers) was not cheap, but then, I don't have a 'cheap' gun, I have something I am proud of. If you don't want to support your LGS you can go to rural king and get one cheaper than building one probably. So it comes down to how you define "bang for the buck".

I always spend more when I build one. Always.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Buy your first, build your second if you want to build one. People started building AR's to save money. I'm talking they were building the cheapest AR's with the cheapest parts they could find. Like most people still do. I remeber on INGO people would always try to top each other with how cheap of an AR they could put together. >>> insert eye roll here <<<<
    If you EVER plan on selling or trading one that you build and upgrading then stop right now and dont build. You will lose your ass even worse than you will on a factory gun. You're better off dissasembling your AR back into parts and then selling it off that way and you will get more money I swear lol.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If it's your first one, I'd buy. Figure out if you like it, how they work, then build. As far as bang for your buck, probably cheaper to buy a basic complete rifle.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Yeah. I have a 20 and a 24 inch RockRiver that I'll never get out of with my shirt the way things are going. CDNN had a Colt competition build kit minus a bbl, bolt carrier, and charging handle for $399.
    Midsouth Shooting Supply has several kits minus a stripped lower for under 4 bills.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Depending on how you do it, you also walk away without a 4473

Once you are on the NFA registry, this isn't even a consideration anymore.

As to the topic, I've bought one and built one, and for me the build was cheaper. Of course, the build was first, and our income doubled between two, so when I was ready for the secondone, I bought BCM.

If cheap is the goal, PSA has kits that are everything except the stripped lower for $270 shipped. I've never tried one, but they seem to be well thought of for their price range.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If it weren't for some incredible help from a good friend, I'd never have been able to build the gun that I did build. Started life as a 9mm pistol where I just build the lower and bought the upper.

Then I sold the upper and rest of the 9mm stuff and then piece-mealed upper parts and had him assist me with that, too.

The first rifle that I bought I did buy whole. It started life as an Anderson Optics Ready rifle. And then I immediately set out to change the way it looked with a new low pro gas block and rail. I did pay to have that done one day at a local shop.

So, op... Your options are limitless. You can 100% Build...including doing your own 80% lower if you want. Then piece-meal parts together. Or you can buy a complete lower and then a complete upper and just mate the two. Or you can buy a 100% complete gun. Anywhere in between.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I and my son have assembled 4 or 5 AR-15's and one AR-10. I did purchase the upper for the AR-10 complete. All were built with Mil spec parts and I polished many of the trigger assembly parts as well and insuring no parts had any burrs. These were built when AR's were commanding premium prices! I purchased most of the parts individually at Gun shows when they were on sale so saved quite a bit of money at the time.

Today I doubt you could assembly one and save any money at all, many good suppliers are selling at rock bottom prices.

It is not rocket science to assemble one and you can do it with minimal tools so it depends on what you want to do ~ When you assemble one you do know exactly how it functions, when you buy one you have a functional firearm immediately.

Tburke798

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    St.John
    Thanks

Are you tooled up for this. What are your skill levels.

Yes, I was a fire arm's instructor in IL for CCW. I have been shooting and playing with Firearms for 20 years, I have the tools to do most everything I think. I have replaced triggers in my sigs, glocks, and actual lightened my trigger pull in my baby eagle which are cheap guns but shoot great for me, I've lightened my PPK by replacing the main spring kit. So I haven't built a AR but I know you can buy uppers, lowers, etc to customize one. Just wondering if it's cost effective?

PS Thanks for all your input, since it would be a second AR I would own thru the years and the prices are reasonable I'm thinking buying one complete.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I have the tools to do most everything I think...

In addition to the tools you may have, if you were going to assemble the upper and lower receivers, you would need some form of upper and lower vice blocks/combination block/reaction rod and an AR armorers tool.

Top Bottom