• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Astro91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2018
    Bloomington
    Not sure if anyone is familiar with Watson Chamber Defense Institute in Columbus, but based on their Facebook they have permantely closed shop. I was a little shocked, as everything seemed to be going well business wise, and the closure came out of the blue. Anyone have any ideas what happened? I have never bought a firearm from there, but I like using their range. Living in Bloomington I have to travel to go to a range. So it’s eithwr point blank or Atterbury for me now.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The normal reason for a business closing is that they weren't making sufficient profit.

You may also be interested in joining Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol club. They have a nice outdoor range close to Gnawbone and a basic indoor range in Columbus for a $75 annual membership.

South Central Gun Club also has an outdoor range at Freetown.

As previously post, Accuracy Unlimited's range is nice as well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wanted to join HHRP but I just can't make it to a Thursday night orientation. Maybe sometime in the future.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The closed thread mentioned “ID scanning.” Can someone explain what that means? Like checking your ID when you walked in?

I’m pretty sure that was the case in the other thread. I’ve slept since then though.
    Just walking in the door they wanted ID.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The closed thread mentioned “ID scanning.” Can someone explain what that means? Like checking your ID when you walked in?

IIRC, yes, they wanted to scan your ID to enter the retail part of the shop. I think it was to address theft problems they had experienced.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    IIRC, yes, they wanted to scan your ID to enter the retail part of the shop. I think it was to address theft problems they had experienced.

I’m not one to get too uptight about privacy concerns, but I would not do that. I understand theft deterrence, but that seems extreme. Anyway, it’s unfortunate they closed before it seems they were ready.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Gee. I wonder how large of a factor pissing off people with the scanning thing was in the closure? Not being as smart alecky as that first sentence sounds, and I know the mysterious family emergency probably played a pretty large part, but just wondering.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Gee. I wonder how large of a factor pissing off people with the scanning thing was in the closure? Not being as smart alecky as that first sentence sounds, and I know the mysterious family emergency probably played a pretty large part, but just wondering.

I don't think it's as mysterious as it is a private and very personal matter.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Some of the comments I've seen the owners make on facebook would make me never want to shop there. Tack that on with the ID scanning they'd never receive a dime from me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Granted I'm far enough away that I am not really likely to frequent them, but I know for sure that somebody scanning my ID just to walk through the front door to peruse the inventory would illicit a middle finger, immediately followed by them seeing my backside as I walked to my car. I get uptight when Meijer insists on scanning my drivers license when I choose to purchase alcohol from them. And taking the recording one step further and doing so before I even purchased a product? Um.... No.

I understand their concern. They believed they had bad dudes coming in, casing the joint and then those same individuals they recall seeing in the store were seen on video smashing and grabbing inventory. The fix? "if we only knew who was walking through the front door, when they came back to steal, we could connect their documented ID to the break in and bust them!" Too bad that great idea was only great in a vacuum.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Bye felicia.
    ID scanning just to shop, at a gun store, ha! No thanks.
    Adding to what croy said, lots of "pro-gun, and pro-2nd amendment" people are just full of crap when the rubber meets the road and are just fine with more gun control and restrictions. Just because someone is selling guns it doesnt mean they support ALL of your guaranteed rights. They are making money selling guns not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.
    If those people close up shop I'm never sad.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I said this in a different thread. What happened to the collected info. They are no longer in business and can do what ever they want with it.

I am from such and such marketing ( BOGUS ) are you interested in selling your customer list. Next thing you know half the gang bangers have a list of gun owners and address.

All because the attitude I don't care who has my personal info. If any one thinks these people, Point Blank or any others that play this game are going to keep your info safe you are living in a vacuum.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    10/10 of you silly people cough up your id to doormen, security guards, hotels, and indoor shooting ranges. If you all would get this fired up over trump and the nra snatching gun rights we would see some progress, but y'all would rather get all keyboard warrior over a small shop that you never visited.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    10/10 of you silly people cough up your id to doormen, security guards, hotels, and indoor shooting ranges. If you all would get this fired up over trump and the nra snatching gun rights we would see some progress, but y'all would rather get all keyboard warrior over a small shop that you never visited.

You need to redo your numbers. I for one will not give my ID to any one that ask for it. I will do with out the service first.
    This is still a semi free country. I still get to make those type of decisions. Some I have to but most I don't.

As far as the bump stock ban I saw that coming the day the ATF made the statement it was ok. When you play with minor technicality's some will come back and bite you.
    Any one that wants class 3 things knows the proper way to acquire them and should not complain when they try an end round game that comes back on them.
    Mark my words the Sig Brace SBR will end up the same way.

Top Bottom