• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I just purchased a Canik 9mm with red dot. My first red Hand gun.
    The red dot is not mounted on the gun. iron sights are.
    I will not go into some of the silly things I had to go through to correctly mount the red dot.

I have been E-Mail contact with Robert at Canik.
    After fully mounted. I attempted to bore sight.
    I lined the front sight top edge with the bottom edge of the red dot window.
    The red dot is at the very top of the red dot window.
    I loosened the two locking screws in the base. I turned the up/down screw CCW.
    I could not bring it down.
    I asked Robert. he messaged back that,
    copy/paste "
    Robert Pittman (Century Arms)
    Jan 4, 09:38 EST
    The iron front sight is not going to co-witness with a RMR optic on this firearm. If you have an RMR installed you will need to completely ignore the iron front sight. "

I thought they should be on the same plane.
    Red dot users please inform me how you use the red dot sight.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    The few times I've used one if the dot is on that's where your round will go

Found this on google

When the weapon is on safe at the ready, single out and focus on a target. Keep both eyes open as you bring the weapon up to the firing position. The moment the sight emerges in front of the eyes, a red dot will come out in front of the eyes. When the red dot reaches the point of aim, switch to fire and engage the target. Ensure that both eyes are open and the focus never moves away from the target.

During use, constantly keep the reticle brightness changed as low as possible for lighting conditions. As a matter of fact, this will provide a clearer sight image and obscure the target less. The red dot sight comes with a knob. When in the dark, turn the knob to low, and while in snow or sunlight, turn it to high. For those who intend to use the sighting system at night, you will require an optic that has lower intensity settings for night vision.

How to zero

Zeroing a red dot sight is similar to zeroing any rifle scope, with the additional process of zeroing back-up iron sights just in case you have them. If you’ve a bore sighted weapon on the range, you should either get rid of the optic if need be or sighting through it, zero the iron sights. When zeroing the iron sights, leave the optic switched off and ignore it. The moment the iron sights are zeroed, flip them down, if possible. Adjust the optic on and zero according the manufacturer’s guidelines. At the time of zeroing the reflex sight totally ignore the iron sights, other than to utilize to index the optic if you aren’t bore sighting. They are actually two different sighting systems and are not connected with one another. The iron sights are not zeroed to the dot and the dot is not zeroed to the iron sights.

One thing you should be aware of when using red dot sights is that it is accurate for short ranges and not long range shooting. It is believed that reflex sights loose all accuracy when applied for targets over 100 metres away. But aiming is quicker with red dot sights than with iron sights. The user of the sighting system doesn’t need to alter his focus from the target to the front sight and align the sights with one another and the target.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You'll never co-witness an RDS on the Canik nor probably any other pistol. Even the tall sights you see on some pistols are only to be seen over a suppressor & not to co-witness with a dot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    You'll never co-witness an RDS on the Canik nor probably any other pistol. Even the tall sights you see on some pistols are only to be seen over a suppressor & not to co-witness with a dot.

I thought like initially a line a scope. You bore or iron sight on a target. Then you spot the scope. I know to consider the offset.
    I just thought that the close distance (offset)of the red dot to the iron sight. I should see both at shooting arm length.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Is your Canik one of the ones you remove the rear iron sight on to mount the RD mounting plate? If so, forget the front post then.

It's up to the height of the RD and the irons. Most handgun irons aren't tall enough to even be seen with the RD mounted and most RD sights aren't low profile enough to cowitness. My FNX45T was with it's supressor-height sights, but they're between 3/8" and 1/2" tall and I had a small RD.

If you have a RD, zero it with the dot in the middle of the window. Unless you have a very favorable combination, the irons will be on a different plane: you will have to lower your head/raise the gun to align them vs the red dot

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve got a red dot on my 22/45, the sights aren’t even remotely close to being usable in height. Granted, this is mounting on a pic rail so it’s a bit different than most pistols.

I would just sight it with the red dot to be where you want your POI to be.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I just thought that if I looked down the iron sights, They are at the very bottom of the red dot window. I should see the red dot in the window.

Then I remembered I have a laser bullet. I slipped it into the chamber. Now I see the laser dot about 1/2 inch below the red dot sight dot. That is about 10ft away. That is the closest I could adjust.
    The red dot is mounted about 1/2 inch. Well I am going to the range tomorrow.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bore laser. They are not that expensive and they will get you pretty close to on point. I have set up every red dot I have this way and only minor adjustments are needed past that.

No, the iron sights are useless in this.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

RDS Should cowitness with suppressor height sights, when I had a MOS G19 my RMR did with a 6' o'clock hold.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    ...the reflex sight totally ignore the iron sights, other than to utilize to index the optic if you aren’t bore sighting. They are actually two different sighting systems and are not connected with one another. The iron sights are not zeroed to the dot and the dot is not zeroed to the iron sights.

I'm not sure I understand this, or why it would be. I would think that both sighting systems would point at the same spot at 100yds. I understand that because of the offset off-axis on something like an AR15 that this may not be true at shorter distances like 10yds. Are they suggesting that you should zero the red dot for some short distance, and the irons for longer distance?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I sighted in my red dot at Blyth;s 31ft. It got a bit touchy. Once I got close it would jump some.
    It is locked down. Now to see how it holds when I shoot combat.
    Horizontal was dead on and stayed on. Elevation was the problem.
    You see the difference. Then You have to turn it upside down to adjust.
    You can not see how it moves or how much.
    One thing that really P-SS me off. The use very tiny slot head screws for adjustments.
    Allens would have works a lot better.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm not sure I understand this, or why it would be. I would think that both sighting systems would point at the same spot at 100yds. I understand that because of the offset off-axis on something like an AR15 that this may not be true at shorter distances like 10yds. Are they suggesting that you should zero the red dot for some short distance, and the irons for longer distance?

Rifle sights =/= pistol sights

On a rifle, the RDS is usually large enough to have space around the dot for the irons (lower 1/3 cowitness) as well as tall enough/swappable irons to make it work.

Most standard height pistol sights are not visible above (or flush with) the base of the RDS. Even "suppressor height sights" may not clear the RDS depending on the size, shape, and mounting. The height over bore of a RDS is small enough and handgun ranges usually short enough that bullet drop over distance isn't a concern.

Just to make it interesting, fyi, NONE of this is standardized.

Top Bottom