• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Just read in local online Newspaper that there were two "accidents" in Boone County. Both sound painful.

http://clintoncountydailynews.com/2019/01/04/two-separate-gun-related-injuries-in-boone-county/

[h=1]Two Separate Gun Related Injuries in Boone County[/h] [h=2]by Ken Hartman • January 4, 2019[/h]
    boone-county-sheriff-1.jpg
    On December 31, 2018, Boone County deputies were dispatched to Witham Memorial Hospital regarding a gunshot victim. Deputies met with the victim, James Brown, 48 of Zionsville.
    Brown informed the deputies that he had went outside to shoot his .44 caliber lever action rifle with a friend using ammunition
    that he had just made with a reload kit he received as a gift. Brown and his friend both stated that when he shot the rifle using one of the reload rounds, the casing of the reloaded round exploded inside the rifle sending shrapnel into his arm and face.
    Brown was then transported to Witham by his friend and mother, where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries and
    released.

On January 3, 2019, Boone County investigators were contacted regarding a male subject who had shown up at Witham
    Hospital with a gunshot wound. Deputies made contact with the victim, Mark Gregory 63, of Thorntown. Gregory stated that he was in his barn attempting to remove his Derringer pistol from a hidden compartment when it fell.
    The pistol then hit an unknown object which caused it to discharge. Gregory was struck with a single .410 buckshot round in his upper thigh. Gregory was then taken to Witham hospital by his wife and later transferred to St. Vincent’s, where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released.

Currently, there is no evidence of foul play with either shooting. The Boone County Sheriff’s Office will continue to investigate
    both cases.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Just read in local online Newspaper that there were two "accidents" in Boone County. Both sound painful.

http://clintoncountydailynews.com/2019/01/04/two-separate-gun-related-injuries-in-boone-county/

[h=1]Two Separate Gun Related Injuries in Boone County[/h] [h=2]by Ken Hartman • January 4, 2019[/h]
    boone-county-sheriff-1.jpg
    On December 31, 2018, Boone County deputies were dispatched to Witham Memorial Hospital regarding a gunshot victim. Deputies met with the victim, James Brown, 48 of Zionsville.
    Brown informed the deputies that he had went outside to shoot his .44 caliber lever action rifle with a friend using ammunition
    that he had just made with a reload kit he received as a gift. Brown and his friend both stated that when he shot the rifle using one of the reload rounds, the casing of the reloaded round exploded inside the rifle sending shrapnel into his arm and face.
    Brown was then transported to Witham by his friend and mother, where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries and
    released.

On January 3, 2019, Boone County investigators were contacted regarding a male subject who had shown up at Witham
    Hospital with a gunshot wound. Deputies made contact with the victim, Mark Gregory 63, of Thorntown. Gregory stated that he was in his barn attempting to remove his Derringer pistol from a hidden compartment when it fell.
    The pistol then hit an unknown object which caused it to discharge. Gregory was struck with a single .410 buckshot round in his upper thigh. Gregory was then taken to Witham hospital by his wife and later transferred to St. Vincent’s, where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released.

Currently, there is no evidence of foul play with either shooting. The Boone County Sheriff’s Office will continue to investigate
    both cases.
    Just a guess but first one sounds like a reloading error.. over charged, over crimped or something... pure speculation though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Making ammunition is very unforgiving of mistakes.
    Handgun ammo is especially easy to make errors. You can easily double charge most handguns cases and not know it if you don't have a system for insuring it doesn't happen.. rifle/bottleneck ammo is virtually impossible to double charge without knowing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most 44 mag lever guns are pretty tough. My standard load for cast bullets is 8 grains of Unique behind a 240 grain cast. I think 16 grains would fit in the case, which would likely be a small grenade.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Most 44 mag lever guns are pretty tough. My standard load for cast bullets is 8 grains of Unique behind a 240 grain cast. I think 16 grains would fit in the case, which would likely be a small grenade.
    Right, I'm pretty sure 44 special I load can us anywhere from 6gr to 15gr depending on the powder.. leaving room for triple or even quadruple charges with some powders... that can be a very dangerous situation.. when I load handgun loads, I hand weigh every charge, place the bullet in the mouth (not pressed yet) to make sure I don't pour another charge in then after I press bullets in, weigh the completed round to make sure there are none that are more than maybe a grain different. So far I have not over charged any yet

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Start using PowerPro 300-MP in those long handgun and magnum casings guys.

It's intended JUST for this issue.

My load in .357 is 18.3 grains behind a 158 JHP. And that is actually under max.

Pretty hard to double charge casings with a high bulk powder like 300-MP, and it produces high speeds as well, if you choose to.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run H110, WW296 or AA#9 in .44 mag. Compressed loads.
    A double charge would be all over the bench LOL.

Pops had a bud that blew up a Smith and a Ruger same day.
    Wrong powder.
    Was many moons ago.
    Supposedly of some fame that incident (maybe beyond local).

Have heard it repeated elsewhere, some changes.
    Think he must have kin, or something.

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville

both cases.

I’d say I dropped it too after I just shot myself :dunno:

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Why would the first incident require the involvement of law enforcement?

Probably because when he went to the hospital, he mentioned "Well, I was shooting....". After that, hospital protocol notifies LE.

I went in to the hospital when my dog bit me. Same process.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Start using PowerPro 300-MP in those long handgun and magnum casings guys.

It's intended JUST for this issue.

My load in .357 is 18.3 grains behind a 158 JHP. And that is actually under max.

Pretty hard to double charge casings with a high bulk powder like 300-MP, and it produces high speeds as well, if you choose to.
    I use H110 on my .357 magnum loads.. it's hard to overcharge as well being it's a 22gr load

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I blew up a 10 1/2" Super Blackhawk about 35 years ago with a short charge of 2400. It was supposed to be a compressed charge of 2400 but i must not have pushed in the powder measure all the way on my Dillon 450 on that round. Its been in a few reloading books years back. I still have it, Ruger offered me a new pistol then for 125 bucks, I responded send it back.

View attachment 73497

View attachment 73498

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I blew up a 10 1/2" Super Blackhawk about 35 years ago with a short charge of 2400. It was supposed to be a compressed charge of 2400 but i must not have pushed in the powder measure all the way on my Dillon 450 on that round. Its been in a few reloading books years back. I still have it, Ruger offered me a new pistol then for 125 bucks, I responded send it back.

View attachment 73497

View attachment 73498
    Yeah, I NEVER trust powder throws for any of my reloading. I mainly precision reload for rifles but even on handgun ammo I hand measure with a set of digitals that are good to 100th of a grain then double check that charge on beams.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Why would the first incident require the involvement of law enforcement?

Ole Poke said:
    Probably because when he went to the hospital, he mentioned "Well, I was shooting....". After that, hospital protocol notifies LE.
    I went in to the hospital when my dog bit me. Same process.

It is my understanding that all 'wounds' received involving the use of a firearm and/or explosive device are reported to law enforcement and investigated in Indiana (as an EMT with 24 years experience.)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom